Has Anyone tried Mindful eating???

Options
I just read this article about mindful eating:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/dining/mindful-eating-as-food-for-thought.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&smid=fb-share#

Seems simple enough right? Cutting out all distractions to focus on the food in front of you would help you realize when you are full, if you really like the food you normally stuff down, etc.

So, has anyone tried this?

I have decided to try this atleast once a day. The article has some good first time tips.

Tomorrow will be day # 1. Would anyone else like to join me?

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I've tried, but it amounts to the same as me trying to eat a hard candy without chomping on it...it just fails (For me)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's exceptionally successful if you can do it to the point of it becoming a habit. For me, plain old fast-paced western life gets in the way of always doing it, but I wish I could. It's something I plan to get better and better at with time.

If you're interested in it I'd recommend "Savor" by Thich Nhat Hahn. And for general mindfulness information you can do a lot worse than "Wherever you go, there you are" by John Kabbat Zinn.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have and for me it works very well, but I started trying to incorporate a daily mindfulness meditation practice in my life around the same time I started MFP anyway, so it fits together very well.

I think the NYT article mentions a book that I read called Savor (by Thich Nhat Hahn and Lillian Cheung) that is about Mindful eating. That book has made a great deal of difference to me and my relationship with food. I highly recommend it if you are interested in mindful eating as a part of your journey.

Ted
  • Bella3119
    Bella3119 Posts: 104
    Options
    Thank you all very much! Looks like I have two books to add to my reading list. :happy:

I tried it tonight for dinner and it was very difficult. I shut off all electronics and sat at the table and chewed very slowly. I did enjoy the flavors and was able to stretch my dinner to about 24 minutes. I am very happy that i was able to eat the correct portion. I also am not starving. I really think mindful eating will help with the binge eating.

Have a great week all!