Going Over in Protein?

Options
It seems that almost every day I go over in protein. Whether it be 1 or 15, I am always over. Just wondering if that will hinder my weight loss and should I cut back?

Replies

• StefanieC99
    Options
    I do that a lot too. I actually talked to a trainer at the gym about it and she was surprised how little protein it 'allowed' me. She said you could have much more protein than what MFP was giving me. I've just started back up on here over the last month and have lost 8 pounds - most of those days I'm over on protein - so I don't think it will hinder you weight loss.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You're going over in protein? GOOD for you!! Keep up the good work! Many people who 'diet' don't get enough!
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    They really should take Protein off the defaults...

Protein isn't a "stay below this" kind of number. It's a "eat at least this much" kind of number. Many people, especially body builders, eat a lot of protein. Protein = good.
  • rsmugala
    rsmugala Posts: 35
    Options
    My doctor suggested this app and i mentioned this as i am always over on protein, and he told me that was fine, good in fact.
  • Simmy_Potatoes
    Options
    Good to know! It's just the negative sign and the red font that make me think it is a bad thing I guess. Thanks!
  • slhtree
    slhtree Posts: 9
    Options
    I know, I was concerned also! I have always been over on protein since starting 3 weeks ago. I am a little more relieved now :0)
  • novangel2
    novangel2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I go over in protein every single day but I don't worry about it...even less now that I have read this thread. :)
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I am always over on protein! Its a good thing!
  • mmsexybetty
    mmsexybetty Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My friend and I are both on MFP and we're always going over on proteins!
  • threeblumonkeys
    Options
    Everything that I have read says that you should get 1-1.5g of protein per lb of body weight. I am always over by alot too. As long as it is lean protein I think you are okay and protein is what helps keep you filling full longer.
    Good Luck!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    MFP's default protien level is pretty low...I went over every day too until I upped it to many's reccomended 40-30-30 (carbs, protien, fat) and since then I have NEVER gotten to my protien goal. But I'm doing my best.
  • yvettesalva
    yvettesalva Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i am definiely all for hi protein... i am a trainer and always go over on my daily alotment of protein and fall way below on carbs but this also depends on your goals.. i do alot of weight training so I want to maintain and grow muscle.. hope this helps
  • fubar2us
    fubar2us Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    MFP's default protien level is pretty low...I went over every day too until I upped it to many's reccomended 40-30-30 (carbs, protien, fat) and since then I have NEVER gotten to my protien goal. But I'm doing my best.

my settings are the same now. I find I am always over on carbs, almost at my fat, and never meet my carbs. Always way way under on them.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I have my goals set to match what DailyBurn suggested for me, since MFP was way off. I'm always waaay below on protein, so I'd love to know how you do it!
  • RmYWarrioR
    RmYWarrioR Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb, more protein grams is not always a bad thing. It takes around 7 calories to digest a gram of protein, where it only takes 4 calories to digest a gram of carbs or fat. Plus, protein is key to building muscle and in a 24 hour period a pound of muscle will burn approximately 50 more calories than a pound of fat. If you are trying to add muscle to your frame you need to take in 1.0 to 1.4 grams of protein per body pound per day. Hope that helps.
  • Tunky1963
    Tunky1963 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I combine this program with The Zone so I intentionally go over on protein. 40-30-30 works for me.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    What are your macronutrient ratios set at?
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Starting to go over on protein! Glad to see this thread! :)
  • Simmy_Potatoes
    Options
    It gives me about 70 grams of protein. It also gives me 260 carbs and 63 fat. I do go over fat a little bit, but I am cutting down on that as well. Glad to see I was not the only person wondering about this.
  • henriclark1
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I was just looking for some info on this topic and here it is! I seem to be always over on my lean protien and always very surprised it's in "everything" I log into MFP. I lost 2lbs. last week and feel great, no deprivation...just wondering too, if it will bite me in the *kitten* later? Thanks for the boost of confidence...I AM doing this right! :smile: