Calculate calories burned based on heart rate

Options
Hello all. I don't have an HRM, but I have started keeping an eye on my heart rate while working out (I'm just taking it myself--the machines at the gym are woefully inaccurate, ranging from 80 bpm to 180 bpm arbitrarily!).

Does anyone know a formula that can be used (along with info like weight and height, I would assume) to determine approximate calories burned based on heart rate?

I don't plan on getting an HRM in the near future, so that's why I'm asking. It would be good to get a ballpark figure... On the elliptical last night, I just just a quick workout, about 30 minutes of interval training. According to the gym machine, calories burned was around 175, but I'd like something to compare that to if possible. Thanks!

Replies

• zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    The below formula is what the Timex HRMs use for calculating calories burned. Frankly I think it is overgenerous, but its something for you to start with.

(1+0.0276*(HR-100))*(3.5+0.0887*(W-40))*T
    HR = Average Heart Rate for workout
    W = Weight in KG
    T = Time of workout in minutes
  • apalesko
    apalesko Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the info Zebras... It's good to have at least one formula. That does seem a bit generous to me as well. Using that puts me over 300 calories burned for that single half hour!

Hopefully some other people will chime in with formulas they know (I have a feeling every HRM manufacturer might have a proprietary formula or something). Maybe if I get enough input, I can just take an average. :)
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

that site can give you a good estimate
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Using an HRM to measure calories burned during exercise is a rough estimate.

Trying to do an estimate w/out a HRM is like a rough estimate squared.

You'd be just as accurate making up a number at random.
  • apalesko
    Options
    Using an HRM to measure calories burned during exercise is a rough estimate.

Trying to do an estimate w/out a HRM is like a rough estimate squared.

You'd be just as accurate making up a number at random.

How do you get a ballpark figure for your calories burned, then, if I may ask? I am always looking for tips! :)

Also, hmmm... what is the difference between using a machine to monitor my heart rate, versus monitoring it myself? I don't see that it would be so very different, since the result (knowing my heart rate in bpm) is the same.
  • apalesko
    Options
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

that site can give you a good estimate

Thank you, I will check that out! :)
  • kathrynp45
    kathrynp45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I recommend saving up for an HRM - I have a Polar and it is worth the cost. I use it for exercise and hiking.

216225.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter