Vegan/Vegetarian

Options
Is any one here a vegan or vegetarian? I am vegetarian and am looking for some new recipes and how you meet protein requirements and in general looking for other people who don't eat meat.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few vegan and vegetarian groups - I do not have the links handy, but just do a search and they should come up. Joining one or more should help.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, have been for 13 years, I love experimenting with new recipes when I have the time. As for getting protein...I'm usually over goal. :)
  • Whimpy10
    Whimpy10 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am a vegetarian but not a vegan. I try to get added protein by doing the protein shakes in the morning
    My fruit of choice, 1 cup silk vanilla, and a container of greek yogurt blended in my ninja processer. I find them to be filling and nutritional
  • sarahkindel
    sarahkindel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. I too find it hard to get my protein in without being too high calorie, but I must say that most days I manage to get my recommended in. I eat TONS of brown rice and beans (kidney, black, garbanzo), as well as peanut butter and other nuts. Just have to be careful to watch fat on that one. 3 or 4 times a week I make 2/3 cup of brown rice with 2/3 - 1 cup of beans. I love it with just some garlic salt, but if I'm making it as a meal for my family, I add some taco seasoning and low fat sour cream and cheese, and avocado. It's so good!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. My diary is open if you want to look.
  • sarahkindel
    sarahkindel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Whimpy, do you add a protein powder to this? If so, which do you use?
  • 1rayhamilton
    Options
    I'm vegan!!
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm not technically a vegetarian, but I am a very picky eater, and therefore I essentially don't eat meat. I spent my first few months on mfp trying to reach my protein requirements. When I realized that I was practically inhaling hummus and almond butter, I realized that I just couldn't get enough protein with the food I eat without going waaaay over my calories. So I make protein shakes with whey protein powder. I use one scoop of the protein powder, half a cup of frozen yogurt, half a cup of milk, and a cup of frozen fruit. It ends up being about 350 calories, so I usually end up treating it as a meal, but it's sooo filling.
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Gardein make a host of lovely products. I also eat a lot of tempeh and tofu. Tonight I'm having mandarin "chicken" with steamed kale topped with soy sauce and kimchi. I shred my protein every day without putting out a ton of effort. I usually have tempeh in my breakfast wrap, something with tofu or another protein at lunch and then a protein at dinner. Generally don't worry about protein in snacks.

Oh, and I manage to do this without eating dairy or protein shakes, which are disgusting.

Post Punk Kitchen is one of my fav recipe sites at the moment.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I should add that I also rarely have trouble meeting my protein goals. I am usually at 60 or above which is much lower than some of the body-builder looking men and women on here, but it seems to work for me. I sometimes have protein powder, but it is not nearly a daily thing for me. I make protein bars out of it and other stuff, but again, not a daily thing. I eat a lot of cheese (3 times today, 3 times tomorrow, it's not always that much though). I also eat free-run eggs, drink soymilk, have greek yogurt and regular yogurt, eat high protein/high fibre cereals, don't shy away from nuts and peanut butter, etc. I sometimes have fake meats, but only certain ones since I am not a huge fan of them. I used to eat tofu frequently, but I haven't had it in awhile now. I also eat lots of beans and legumes (my recipes almost always feature both when I decide to use one or the other, so I can be sure to get in the complete protein).

Edit: and I manage to get in all that protein on a 1300 calorie diet.
  • angelashay42
    Options
    I eat a lot of edamame, greek yogurt, Quinoa, cottage cheese, peanut butter, nuts, soy milk, whey protein, and Gardein no-meat chicken fingers are delicious! Get the small multi-grain ones. With a little ketchup, they taste just like the real thing!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian