Couch to 5k

Options
I have a number of questions -
I am VERY unfit, would this be a good starting point for running/jogging for me?
What are people's general impressions who have done it?

Any insight/advice would be fab!

Replies

• smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and do it, just don't beat yourself up if you find yourself walking more than running at the beginning. Do what feels right for you, at a pace that always feels a bit challenging, and you will be amazed how quickly you start to enjoy it. I am also VERY unfit and rather obese for my height, but since the beginning of March I've shaved 4 minutes off of my 5k time just by sticking with it. I've signed up for 3 5ks (gulp!) this year with the first one in less than a month (doublegulp!).
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I was extremely out of shape when I started it last summer. I was also 50 pounds overweight. It really helped me to get into better shape and build some endurance. I got to where I could run for 20 minutes straight but actually kind of slacked off and never finished. I would recommend it. At least give it a try for a week and see what you think! You could even take it easier, running for 30 seconds and walking for a few minutes.
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love C25K! I'm on week 4 right now. My advice: go to a running store and get fitted for proper shoes, stretch after your run, and don't feel badly if you need to repeat weeks.
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    "I love C25K! I'm on week 4 right now. My advice: go to a running store and get fitted for proper shoes, stretch after your run, and don't feel badly if you need to repeat weeks."

This!!! Great advice. I did C25K two years ago. Still running strong. So far, i've completed a 12k, currently training for 1/2 marathon. Proper running shoes makes a huge difference in your performance and in your comfort after running.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started C25K about 55 pounds ago, it was not easy but worth it!
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOVE C25K.
    Today was my first day doing week 4. I never thought I'd be able to run for 6 minutes straight, especially since I was struggling to complete the first week without gasping for breath.
    I'm still not a fast runner by any means, but I'm still jogging and that's good enough for me. :D
    I recommend it to everyone.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I started it at 260lbs. I couldn't even run a full minute! I started walking, then walking faster, then pushing myself to the one minute mark. It isn't easy, but it's TOTALLY possible. Customize it to your needs and abilities, but push yourself as much as you can.

less than 4 months later I ran 1 1/4 miles this morning without stopping!

You can do it!!
  • LosingLizard
    Options
    I have a number of questions -
    I am VERY unfit, would this be a good starting point for running/jogging for me?
    What are people's general impressions who have done it?

Any insight/advice would be fab!

Before I turned into a slacker, I was doing that program. I was 260 lbs (female, 5'5") in Vibram Five Fingers, running so slow I was passed by a two toed sloth when I started. I was running 10 minutes straight at a time by the time I derailed myself. If I can do it, ANYONE can do it.

It's a great program. Just give it patience and dedication. No worries if you have to repeat. Just make sure you start out slow, do what you can, and progress only when you feel comfortable. And good shoes. Never underestimate good shoes.
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just started Week 5 today, and I love it! I was never a runner, but I really enjoy it now. I'm still obese, and I still do it. Do get proper shoes though. I did the first 3 weeks in my walking sneakers and was having shin pain. New running shoes- no shin pain, no discomfort. It really is important.

Don't look ahead either, just concentrate on the week and day your on.
  • ceaton80
    ceaton80 Posts: 37
    Options
    Awesome program for beginners like I was! I lost 15lbs and made it to week 7 before I started P90X! It's nice because it starts you out slowly!
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am WAY over weight and out of shape.I asked my doctor about it and he said it was a great idea as long as I took it slow. I have started C25K but I was told not to go to the next week until I was comfortable with what I was doing. I feel great and have increased my running. I'm only up to week 2 but I can't wait for the next step. Good Luck and I hope it goes great for you!
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was always injury prone when I would run... The C25K program got me running injury free- and I actually enjoy running now! Just take it easy, listen to your body- if something hurts for an extended period of time or gets more intense, slow down, stop or repeat a run or two... The important thing is to NOT QUIT! I had a hard time running the 60 seconds when I started in November, Ran for 70 Minutes today. It works and it is TOTALLY worth the effort/results!

Have fun and good luck!
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I started it at 260lbs. I couldn't even run a full minute! I started walking, then walking faster, then pushing myself to the one minute mark. It isn't easy, but it's TOTALLY possible. Customize it to your needs and abilities, but push yourself as much as you can.

less than 4 months later I ran 1 1/4 miles this morning without stopping!

You can do it!!

Awesome! I just hope I can do the same :drinker:
  • amberdunsmuir
    Options
    I used c25k after both of my pregnancies & I love it! I gained 45-50 lbs both times and this is how I lost the weight. You will be amazed at how much endurance you gain and as long as you follow the plan eventually (around wk 8 for me) it gets easier. Best of luck!!!
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    highly recommend this program/ app - I never was a runner- I mean NEVER! I could barely run down my street I live on without being winded...after completing the program- at my pace- I now completed an 8k (never imagined doing this) and run 1 - 2 times a week based on my energy level. Great way to increase your endurance and confidence in yourself!!
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Do it and I promise you won't regret it. I am on my last week of the program and run a 5k Saturday. As a lot of others have suggested, go get fitted properly for a shoe and it will help a TON! Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
  • frogman4591
    frogman4591 Posts: 135
    Options
    Go for it. I had not run for several decades. When I got the idea that I should participate in our town race this summer I knew I needed to learn how. I started the C25K program and stayed with it. Some week s looked scarey but I kept moving forward. It did take me 11 weeks to finish, but I did it. I am know running 5K in 30 minutes, something I could not have done without the program. And I have lost weight in the process. Good luck!
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    "I love C25K! I'm on week 4 right now. My advice: go to a running store and get fitted for proper shoes, stretch after your run, and don't feel badly if you need to repeat weeks."

This!!! Great advice. I did C25K two years ago. Still running strong. So far, i've completed a 12k, currently training for 1/2 marathon. Proper running shoes makes a huge difference in your performance and in your comfort after running.

^^^These! I am on week 6 and love it! The shoes make all the difference and stretching afterwards is so important. I also like the advice given that if need be you can always repeat weeks until you're comfortable to move on. Good luck!
  • Tkdrocks66
    Tkdrocks66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The quickest way to get there is to start moving. Like you, I never really enjoyed running or even the idea of running. I remember being forced to run in football and the military, but always despised it. Recently, my brother gave me the book, "No Need for Speed" by John Bingham. This book is very encouraging and helps dispel all of the reasons not to start run/walking. So, that was December 2011, now it is March 2012. I am now signed up to run the Peachtree Road Race (10K) on July 4. I have lost 28 pounds so far. My goal is not to win or even compete, but to finish the race. As of now, I run/walk 5K 3 days a week around my neighborhood. Every day, I am able to run a higher percentage.

The most important thing is to burn some calories on a regular basis, but avoid injury. This has always been my downfall. I would try too hard and end up right back on the sideline. The secret is to mix up your cardio. Run 3 days a week, Stationary bike or eliptical the others. Oh yes. Stretch, stretch, stretch before and after.

Good luck and welcome to the new you.
  • TexasNana41
    TexasNana41 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I say do it! I was never a runner before last fall. I started out just walking for 3 or 4 weeks and then started C25K. I made sure that I got good running shoes and I followed the advice of never running more days than the program called for, although I sometimes walked on my off days. I believe I was still in the obese category when I started the walking. I could barely run the full minute or two minutes when I started, but I kept at it. Yesterday I ran for 74 minutes straight. I'm not fast, but I'm a runner. Like everyone else said, listen to your body, but don't give up. You'll end up with more energy, a better attitude, and great muscles in your legs. You can do it! Warning: It's addictive!