what am i doing wrong?

Options
I joined MFP around the first of the year and was super motivated by all the success stories and stream lined and simple way of tracking calories. I lost 4lbs in the first 2 weeks. I was so excited that after all these years I finally found something that worked. Then....nothing. I started exercising and gained weight (ughh). What's weird is I had people telling me it looked like I lost weight but I'm at the exact same weight as when I started. I still kept up with daily logging hoping I would notice some trend but I always stayed under or close to the daily goal and exercised most days. Did 20 of the 30 days of 30DS and found my body "looked" smaller but still no budge on the scale. I've officially given up on the logging but I don't want to continue the cycle of giving it my all, no success, give up, stay same weight. I've lost weight before, before my wedding and after both kids so I know how to do it. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I've searched these boards for other people in similar situations and most say not to pay attention to the scale, but that's really hard when everyone's ticker says how much they've lost and the success stories make it look like everyone else is doing it. Any support is appreciated. I'm also looking for a group to join so if anyone can point me in the right direction or suggest a supportive group of people dealing with this same issue I would really really appreciate it. TIA

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If you look smaller and your clothes fit better, why is the scale so important? Your bf% is decreasing and you're getting fitter!
    Take measurements instead of the scale. Weightloss will come with time, but fitness and strength will HELP you achieve that.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You CAN'T give up on the logging. That's not the problem. In fact, the logging is HELPING YOU BE ACCOUNTABLE.

What are you eating? Are you too low on your calories?
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The scale can be infuriating! I haven't lost a ton of weight, but I have lost on average 3 inches all over. My jeans are falling off and my undies don't fit anymore. So I know I am making progress but that darn scale(grumble grumble).

Stick with it!!!!
  • questhaven
    questhaven Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You CAN'T give up on the logging. That's not the problem. In fact, the logging is HELPING YOU BE ACCOUNTABLE.

What are you eating? Are you too low on your calories?

Totally agree! Logging is so incredibly important. It's really easy to lose track of what you eat, to minimalize what you are actually ingesting - but when it's on paper you are totally aware. I'd check your calories - you may be eating to few. I know that's a weird concept - I struggle with accepting it too.
  • CEQuick75
    CEQuick75 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, you gotta keep logging your calories. If for no other reason than to keep yourself from making a big slip! Exercise will build muscle, which may offset the weight lost through fat at first, but the only way to achieve lasting results is to stick with it. We're all pulling for you!!
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    can you open your food diary so we can help you? Maybe you are not eating enough. Also, if you are feeling smaller and people are telling you, then you probably are losing, but substituting the fat for muscle. That happens a lot! Take measurements.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Depending on how sedentary you were before you started, you'll likely not see a ton of weightloss at the beginning because you'll be swelling and building muscle at the same time you are burning. This is the most crucial time for measuring with a tape measure! Especially if people are noticing...

Believe me, I understand. I have a ton of weight to lose and the first 2 weeks, I lost 11 pounds total and was like heck yeah! And then, after 3 weeks, I only dropped .5 pounds and I found myself crying about it. another 3 weeks, I dropped 1.5 pounds. About two weeks later, I weighed in this morning at 1.8 down.

I honestly think that it's going like this because for the first month, I was getting a handle on things and building endurance. Now that I can handle 3 hours straight on my bike, it's changing.

Logging is extremely important because without it, we can't do anything but blindly encourage you that this is worth it. Show us what you're eating, and we might be able to help you adjust it.
  • kerryd73
    kerryd73 Posts: 28
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose? A lot of the trackers show high numbers for people who had a lot of weight to get off. Depending on how much you weigh now and how much you are shooting for will depend on how quick your progress. The less you need to lose, the slower it will be to get off. I began working out about 5-6 days a week again four months ago. It was not changing me whatsoever! I knew I had to be doing something wrong so only 5 weeks ago I found this site and began logging. I would recommend you continue to keep logging and be completely honest with every morsel that goes in and eat back your exercise calories. Be patient and do your best, you should see poundage leave. I've lost only 4 lbs in 5 weeks ( I understand why I didn't lose any one week because of my calorie overage that week). I know it is because I have set my calorie goal to be 500 cal a day deficit from my TDEE which is 1542 cals. It's one pound a week but I will definately take it. It's better than staying the same forever or gaining. :)
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    oh and go to goals and on the right something says"From Normal Daily Activity" and has a calorie amount. Take that amount then

subtract 250 if you are trying to lose 0.5 lbs a week
    subtract 500 if you are trying to lose 1 lb a week
    subtract 750 if you are trying to lose 1.5 lbs a week
    subtract 1,000 id you are trying to lose 2 lbs a week.
    This creates your deficit

Then eat your exercise calories back. (Or at least have your net calories at 1,000. this is your calories consumed - your exercise calories)

See you already have a deficit, so this is why people say eat your exercise calories back so your body has fuel and your body doesn't eat your muscles up instead of the fat.

so an example...

my "From Normal Daily Activity" is 2260, and I want to lose 2lbs/wk (which is 1,000 calorie deficit per day per wk)
    So, 2260-1000=1260 calories is what I need to consume per day to reach my 2 lb loss/wk

If I burn 400 calories from exercise, I will need to eat no less than 140 more calories on top of the 1260.
    so 1260+140=1400 total calories ate
    - the 400 calories of exercise
    =1000 net calories.

But it's preferred that you get as close as you can to eating all the calories back so you don't have your body staying hungry

Make sure you are getting a lot of water. especially if your sodium is over.
    Also, I was told I should keep my carbs around 100 and my sugar intake around 30
    And eat a lot of protein. I try to eat over 100g of protein a day!

Hope this helps. I know it's a lot
  • ark825
    ark825 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. i made my food diary public although its been a while so i can't remember the last day i logged in
  • wackicatt
    wackicatt Posts: 23
    Options
    I am pretty much in the same boat. I am real frustrated. I actually have not seen a loss but a 4 lb gain. I do feel better, maybe because I am exercising & drinking more water,but.... I am more then a little sad.I am not sure what I am doing wrong either, but I don't know if not logging in ur food is the real answer. I know I am not helping you here but, I just wanted to let you know you are not the only one, & I do feel your pain.

With hugs-

Cat
  • kimharrison22
    kimharrison22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!!! I'm going through similar challenges. It's hard for me because I only have about 10 lbs to lose. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong either. But I do agree with the others, if you look smaller and your clothes fit better, I bet you've lost some fat and gained some muscle. I know it's frustrating... I rely on the scale too! Just keep logging and keep exercising, don't give up and hopefully you'll see changes soon! I felt like giving up today, but maybe I should follow my own advice!!! Good luck!