Headaches

Options
I have had a terrible headache for the last few days straight...I havent been sleeping well and I just gave up soda, so it could be from a lack of caffeine and sugar and sleep...but it's killing me! I've been taking advil and it hasnt really helped at all.

Has anyone had a similar experience when making diet changes? or know anything else that may help?

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Could be withdrawals. Are you drinking enough water? I've heard of alot of ppl get caffeine withdrawals and end up with headaches... Also if you don't get enough water you can also get a headache. That's how I know I need to drink more.
  • reddog101
    reddog101 Posts: 35
    Options
    This is allergy season too. I've been having headaches off and on all this week, but I can tell mine are allergy/sinus related.....
  • melissa2091
    Options
    Yeah you know i been getting the exact same thing with headaches, i think due to me changing my date but goal seeker is right drink plenty of water and some fruit it will make you feel better hang in there =)
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Options
    Could be withdrawals. Are you drinking enough water? I've heard of alot of ppl get caffeine withdrawals and end up with headaches... Also if you don't get enough water you can also get a headache. That's how I know I need to drink more.

I'm probably not drinking enough, my kids keep running off with my water bottles, and they can get the tops off now, so the water ends up all over the place...*sigh* lol

I'll have to see what I can do to make sure I drink more
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Options
    This is allergy season too. I've been having headaches off and on all this week, but I can tell mine are allergy/sinus related.....

I didnt think about that, I dont have any allergies that I know of, but I did just move to Virginia from Texas, so I might be sensitive to the change
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Options
    Yeah you know i been getting the exact same thing with headaches, i think due to me changing my date but goal seeker is right drink plenty of water and some fruit it will make you feel better hang in there =)

Thank you :)
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    for the past 3 nights I've been having trouble sleeping and had a headache all day today. not from caffeine withdrawal though.
  • tracferg
    tracferg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had really bad headaches for the first 5 days of not drinking coffee and mild ones for about another week after that so maybe that is it. It's been good now tho, been about 3 weeks with no caffeine and I am sleeping a lot better so worth it in the long run!
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Definitely the caffeine/sugar withdrawal will do that. Should subside after 3 days. You may want to try some tea - if it is caffeine related that should help some and it isn't too high - you can easily wean off that.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    If the headache has been going on for several days and over the counter medication designed for headaches has not done anything for you, consult your physician. They would not only be able to prescribe something stronger for them but would be able to tell you the cause or possible cause.
  • cnflet2
    cnflet2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Instead of using generic water bottles go out an get your own large water bottle that's unique and you know is yours/the kids know is ONLY yours.... ex a hot pink bottle with a special cap that wont be lost all over the house.

That way you can keep track of what uve drank more easily
  • justplainoleanne
    justplainoleanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Never quit caffiene cold turkey! Always wean yourself slowly. The headaches are killer!!!
  • ocssor
    ocssor Posts: 1
    Options
    If you aren't trying to completely eliminate caffeine from your diet (just that from soda), you might want to try Excedrin migraine...it has some caffeine. The combo of the pain med and the caffeine seem to help. And, lots of water. I frequently get headaches and it is miserable. Hoping you feel better soon.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Try tea? If headache goes away then its caffeine. Wean yourself off tea if you are trying to go all caffeine free. I drink tea. Its got good stuff in it.
  • chowderkat
    chowderkat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's happened to me before...I have chronic migraines, but when I stopped drinking soda, I had a migraine for days. Excedrin migraine was the only thing that helped. ps. congrats on cutting out soda, keep it up, once you get past this hard/painful part, it gets easier! :)
  • quink77
    quink77 Posts: 91
    Options
    I'm right there with you :frown:
    Sleep is always the best medicine for me.

18249829.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard, it tends to go away or lessen as you stick with it and your body starts getting used to the changes.
  • LDunzweiler
    Options
    I gave up sodas myself just last week & put down my constant coffee drinking as well. I do allow myself a cup or 2 of coffee in the morning, but no sodas. Instead, I drink A LOT of water. I drink anywhere between 5 & 7 16 ounce bottles everyday. I can tell the days that I don't drink as much water, because I end up with a headache in the evenings. So, my suggestion (as well) is drink more water. You can always allow yourself a little soda during the day and slowly wean yourself off it all together. Sometimes, cold turkey can make you feel worse than ever. Also, when you get those headaches try and work through it...go for a walk or do some Yoga....relaxation will help you.

Don't give up! I hope you feel better soon!
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to switch meds? Try drinking more, but if they keep up and are not going away with meds please, please, please see a doctor just to make sure it is nothing more. I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to headaches I don't like to play around with them...
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    Ditto re withdraw, add tea, hydrate. And yes, such diet changes have triggered tough headaches for me.

Additionally, ice packs on my neck and temple help me a lot with migraines. Good luck.