I know it's been asked a million times, but NET CALORIES??

Options
Ok. I know there are a lot of threads on this and i read a few, but I want answers specific to me because i'm still confused.

I'm 5'7. 163 pounds. My goal weight is between 145 and 150.
My BMR is 1547
I think MFP has my BMI completely wrong, because i weigh more, but a lot of it is muscle. My measurements are 36-27-39. My thighs are 23.

I set MFP to lose 1.5 pounds a week. It says my net calories should be 1,340. My question is, is that too low? Especially because I burn between 600 and 800 calories in my workouts every day. I don't want my body in starvation mode.

Should by net calories be the same as my BMR? So should I be eating more? Right now my net calories end up just under 1200 each day and I've seen like no weight loss. Getting discouraged.

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    eat back your exercise calories. MFP already builds in your deficit with the goal you entered, any exercise calories earned should be eaten back.
  • Quinn827
    Quinn827 Posts: 9
    Options
    OK.....this is my personal opinion. I too have a high BMI even when I am at my ideal weight. I was a competative bodybuilder for 10 years and so my lean muscle was very high.

First. DO NOT go under your daily calories. You MUST plug in your workout so MFP will calculate your deficit and EAT back those calories in the form of healthy carbs and protein. If you eat under your goal you will NOT lose weight as quickly or at all because your body is starving and lowering your metabolism.

SECOND: You may be doing too much cardio. When I was tapering for a show my cardio was NEVER over 40 minutes.

THIRD: Add weight training if you do not already.

Fourth: Trick your body. I used to alternate my carb intake from 30 grams, 60 grams and 90 grams. then back to 30 and so on.

Fifth: Eat small meals every 3 hours. DO NOT go longer between meals. This will increase your metabolism.

Finally stick to this for 3 weeks before you decide it is not working your body will really change :)

By the way! You look VERY fit and muscular. Not sure what you are trying to lose?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    You are too close to your healthy weight to be eating less than your BMR! You need to be at TDEE minus 200 calories.

Set your goal to "Lose 1/2 pound per week."

Always eat all your exercise calories now.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

• dnn2105
    dnn2105 Posts: 5
    Options
    thank you. it wasn't very clear before. i'm going to try it that way and hope it works
  • dnn2105
    dnn2105 Posts: 5
    Options
    This is the most detailed response I've gotten and I really appreciate it so thanks!.

Should I just plug in my workouts at the beginning of the day then before I do them? I workout at night, but I have a pretty set schedule so I know what I'll be doing before hand. I do cardio almost every day and I know I need to add more weight training. I've been looking up weight training programs I can do at home because I don't have much time to get to the gym.

Eating every three hours isn't always a reality for me, but I do try. I need to find snacks and such that I can carry around with me from class to work, to wherever. (I'm a college student and live on campus)

And thank you for your compliment. ;) I know I'm a lot more fit than most people and I've worked hard for it. Really there are just specific areas I'd like to target like my thighs. I can feel the muscle there, but there is still this excess fat that would go away. I honestly would be fine losing just under ten pounds, so it's not extreme weight loss I'm going for. I just want to get rid of what I see as unnecessary fat and be all tone. I do like my shape and my curves, but smaller legs would be nice. really, i may be aiming for the impossible haha. i don't know. thanks again for all your help though
  • kmshalimar
    kmshalimar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ok, this s my first time on mb, so am I suppose to EAT BACK THE CALRIES I BURN ? Does that ake sense?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Ok, this s my first time on mb, so am I suppose to EAT BACK THE CALRIES I BURN ? Does that ake sense?

Yes. The program is designed that way. It makes perfects sense if you look at how this is all structured.