Does the hatred of cardio ever go away?

Options
I love lifting and strength training. After having my second child I have done weights mixed with light cardio (Jillian Michaels) about 5 times a week. Everything is toned but I cannot get rid of a few inches on my tummy... It's frusterating but I know I need more cardio or lipo which I can't afford haha. I did a cardio DVD today (Banish Fat Boost Metabolism) and I hate it. Question to the cardio peeps... Does it get better? Will my hate turn into love? I'm trying to stay motivated!

Replies

• mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I love doing cardio. Mainly because I like to do different things all the time.
    You can walk, run, bike, skate, ski, rollerblade, dance, play sports, video games for the wii or kinect.
    I hope you find something fun :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I love lifting and strength training. After having my second child I have done weights mixed with light cardio (Jillian Michaels) about 5 times a week. Everything is toned but I cannot get rid of a few inches on my tummy... It's frusterating but I know I need more cardio or lipo which I can't afford haha. I did a cardio DVD today (Banish Fat Boost Metabolism) and I hate it. Question to the cardio peeps... Does it get better? Will my hate turn into love? I'm trying to stay motivated!

Good question. I hate cardio, so I don't do it.

Is there a reason you believe that you need it, rather that just lifting + calorie deficit?
  • LGearheart
    LGearheart Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Because even eating clean and strength training is doing zero for the mid section.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Because even eating clean and strength training is doing zero for the mid section.

What program are you following?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dont think so. i still hate it that's why i try to do HIIT as much as i can and when i'm too tired to do that, i close my eyes and think of england
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

I love cardio. spin, road cycling, dancing, paddleboarding/surfing. *love*

I have always danced, but when I first tried spin I hated it. The only reason I continued is bc I had just had my 3rd child at 35 and I was horrified by how lumpy I was, and it was the only class time convenient for me. But then I lost all 50+ lbs. of baby weight and became an instructor within about 6 mos. It's been over 8 years and I still love it. Sometimes I am still amazed at that.

Try different classes at the gym, or if you have a bike, get out and enjoy the weather. you never know what, but something is likely to stick.

blessings.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Why not just try a different form of cardio?
  • KateFitness89
    Options
    Try some more circuit training since you like lifting. Do jumping jacks between each set to keep your heart rate up. Bodybuilding.com has some good circuit training exercises and fat burning plans. I learned to love cardio after about 3-4 weeks of doing it 4-5 times a week. I mix it up with different kinds so I don't get bored. I still hate strength training lol. I'm hoping one day that will go away.
  • KateFitness89
    Options
    Maybe you would like boxing or kickboxing?
  • Paxnyokes
    Paxnyokes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Variety!!! You'll find something you love.
  • big_drake
    big_drake Posts: 78
    Options
    No I still hate it but I still do it. It's a necessary evil...
  • ricosuavee123
    Options
    For me it does. I hate cardio right now. I put on a bunch of weight after a serious injury but prior to that I was running 35 miles a week. Once I am "in shape" I love it. Throw on headphone and just work out all the stresses of the week. But yeah, right now it sucks.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    So many activities to try and diversity may help you find what you like.
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It doesn't get better.

But...here's some motivation:

zombiefastfood.jpg
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Variety!!! You'll find something you love.

Definitely have a variety of exercises so you can oscillate between them and keep your routine fresh.

I really recommend the Wii Fit Plus; it's a lot of fun, and has many activities! You can also get "Zumba," "Just Dance" and "Michael Jackson: The Experience" for the Wii or the Kinect, just to name a few cardio games. For me, I go back and forth between walking/jogging, and exercise games to keep myself from hating exercising. :D
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I hate lifting weights (mainly because I have 'baby muscles' and I can't lift that much...) and I highly dislike cardio (like running and treadmills). Instead, I found a sport that I love and is cardio intensive. I play water polo and I love it so much more than the gym! I wake up in the morning and are excited to hop into the pool later in the afternoon. I do it six days a week, 2 hours per day. Sometimes my coach will add in "circuit training", where we'll use medicine balls, do pushups, and some other weights type stuff.

Find a sport that you love to play! That's how I got over my hatred of cardio... sort of. Still working on the whole running / treadmill thing.

Any tips to get over my dislike of weights?
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I used to hate cardio. Now I like it. I think I had to build up my endurance to the point where I got an endorphin rush from it. I have to work on the strength training. I used to only do the ab machine but now I work my way around all the machines. I keep trying to push myself and up the weights, and now I'm starting to feel like I'm getting stronger.
  • LGearheart
    LGearheart Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies... I'm going to keep at it and hopefully like it. I will try mixing it up! As for advice on weight training I really don't have much except the same as what you guys wrote! As with strength training it took awhile to find "my thing". Thank you guys!
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try doing your cardio outside. I love running....but I HATE a treadmill. Also, instead of viewing your cardio as a necessary evil, view it as a way to supplement what you love--strength training.