what's the best way to deal with food pushers?

Options
i always end up giving into them and i'm afraid i'll go back to my old ways.

Replies

• jenncazares
    Options
    Go in heavily armed- prepared. Make the best choices you can- bring your own food or eat before you go to the dealers house.... hahaha they are like drug pushers. gently remind them you have a plan and intend to stick to it.
  • PaperThinLips
    PaperThinLips Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cdnwinter79
    Options
    I'm going to keep my eye on this topic! Hubby's 1st Gen Italian-Canadian, his family LOVES food, and we're going to be seeing them next month for a few days :s
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    just take a little bit :) and take a long time eating it so nobody will push more on you
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    just take a little bit :) and take a long time eating it so nobody will push more on you

Exactly. My father-in-law is the worst. He pushes food and soda (bless his heart, he is a good man otherwise...)
    What I usually do is open the soda, take a sip, and lay it down and ignore it. Throw it away later.

Same with food. Just graciously thank them and eat really slowly, so you only have to eat one portion.

Then, use excuses that you already ate about 25% of the time. In my experience, you can only get away with it if it's not all the time. :)
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Only take what you have calorically budgeted for, and when offered more, or a food that is not on your plan say "Only if you do my (insert your workout of choice here) to burn that off with me." If you can manage it with the right tone and wiley grin, it converts your rejection of their offer into an invitation.

I've held my Dad to it, but he's the only one that works out anyway. I actually think he just wanted me to go running with him. The rest of my pushers decline my invitation with a giggle and a "good for you!"... and nobody's feelings get hurt. :)
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just tell them thanks for the offer but I am involved in a fitness and health thing right now. Blunt and to the point. I haven't had anyone hurt by it yet.
  • PaperThinLips
    Options
    I just tell them thanks for the offer but I am involved in a fitness and health thing right now. Blunt and to the point. I haven't had anyone hurt by it yet.

hahahhaha that's what i do most of the time now.
    i just hate it when they're like, "omg, you're so skinny already!!"
    well, it's from eating healthy and exercising.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Never let your plate go empty until the very end of the meal; just take a little bit and eat slo-o-owly.
  • Kathkeb
    Kathkeb Posts: 7
    Options
    It depends on the food.
    If it is a food on my trigger list (cookies, cake, candy, ice cream, baked goods), I don't take it under any circumstances.
    On Saturday, I will be 3-years FREE of those foods.

I start with 'no thank you' and work my way up to 'I don't eat that' --- as many times as I have to.

If I take it once, even if I throw it out or don't eat it, I am giving the person permission to push it on me again -- and even to prepare it for me.
    I simply do not eat those foods -- so I don't accept them.

If it is a food that is not on that list, but I really don't want any, it depends on the person offering it and the circumstance.
    Often, I will take a little and push it around or taste it and count it.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'm going to keep my eye on this topic! Hubby's 1st Gen Italian-Canadian, his family LOVES food, and we're going to be seeing them next month for a few days :s

Poutine, peas soup with marinara sauce?
    That would be a hard combo to resist.

:laugh:
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I usually claim that I'm full, just had a lot of food, am really busy, gave it up for Lent or something, really hate chocolate (lol), and then thank them and if it applies, I ask where the leftovers are gonna be so that maybe I can grab a little later (and then never do it).

Sometimes they ask if I got any. I say, yes, it was delicious.

Harden your heart towards junk food! All it will do is bring pain.

Edited to say that yes, in general I find it MUCH easier to lie about wanting the food than to say I'm on a diet, because that seems to invite disaster. Coworkers will say you don't NEED to diet, like they're the expert. Easier and more efficient to wiggle out of it entirely.
  • HeartlessHarlot
    HeartlessHarlot Posts: 65 Member
    Options

hahahhaha that's what i do most of the time now.
    i just hate it when they're like, "omg, you're so skinny already!!"
    well, it's from eating healthy and exercising.

And, that's where you remind them that weight loss and healthy eating isn't a one time thing. You don't just lose weight and be done with it. It takes A LOT of maintenance. So many people think that once you've reached your goal you no longer have to worry about it.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,715 Member
    Options
    i always end up giving into them and i'm afraid i'll go back to my old ways.
    If I know I'm going to be in that situation, I try to make sure I'm not hungry going into it. It's much easier to stay strong if you're not hungry. Then I start with a simple "No, thank you." Sometimes that's enough. When it isn't, and someone wants to know "Why?" I answer with "Because I really don't want any." I know that may be hard to say, but it isn't any more rude in my opinion than someone not accepting your "No, thank you" in the first place. Edited to add: It's difficult for someone to argue with the fact that you don't want what they're pushing. I find that to be more effective than saying "I can't" or "It's not on my diet."
  • PaperThinLips
    Options
    great idea!! (:
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Luckily people in my life don't push food on me too often. They offer me things and then remember that I don't eat certain things.

I have cut out all gluten and most grains because I feel so much better without them. I usually just say I can't eat something because it will make me sick if someone inquires why I am not eating something.

I would just say "No thank you" and say you are full if they push further. Be strong, it gets easier to resist things as time goes on :)