Two months and failed

Options
Damn! From this morning, I am were I was two months ago with my weight. I lost few cm in my waist (3) and hips (only 1) though, but my tights are getting bigger and I'm not happy with that. Obviously, I am doing something wrong with my combination of work out and nutrition.

Before I came here, I was steadily and slowly loosing my 10 kg without calculating calories, just with smart eating and very light exercises. I found MFP and joined you with the idea to get smarter with all of it. But, it happens, the more I learned, the more I got stupid.

I was eating pretty much the same as I use to, no bad nor processed food (and cheating on and off) but I increased my activity to 6 times/week, 3 x lifting heavy + 3 x cardio, usually no less than 60 minutes and sometimes up to 90 min.

First month I was eating steadily 1200 cals with half of the burned calories. I lost 1.5 kg.

I wanted to shake a bit my metabolism, and for the last month I zig-zaged my net calories intake, from 600 to 1800, that made range of 1300 to 2000 total. In total it was weekly average of 1350 net per day (I adjusted my custom goals: 1315 net calories, and 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat and having problem to reach protein goal).

Yesterday, when I got my first HRM and went for running, I realized that I've been exaggerating my calories expenditure relaying on MFP calculation and Endomondo's (which is far less accurate), choosing always smaller figures, BUT, even with that they are far less than I though they were. It means that I was eating more, but not THAT more...

So, what now? To start over? I feel so disappointed...

It seems that these last five kilograms will never go off.

I am 45 (maybe it's the answer)
172 cm (5'6)
60 kg (132 lb)
body fat 24.6%

Any idea? I am opening my diary so you can take a look.
thanks for your time

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Damn! From this morning, I am were I was two months ago with my weight. I lost few cm in my waist (3) and hips (only 1) though, but my tights are getting bigger and I'm not happy with that. Obviously, I am doing something wrong with my combination of work out and nutrition.

Before I came here, I was steadily and slowly loosing my 10 kg without calculating calories, just with smart eating and very light exercises. I found MFP and joined you with the idea to get smarter with all of it. But, it happens, the more I learned, the more I got stupid.

I was eating pretty much the same as I use to, no bad nor processed food (and cheating on and off) but I increased my activity to 6 times/week, 3 x lifting heavy + 3 x cardio, usually no less than 60 minutes and sometimes up to 90 min.

First month I was eating steadily 1200 cals with half of the burned calories. I lost 1.5 kg.

I wanted to shake a bit my metabolism, and for the last month I zig-zaged my net calories intake, from 600 to 1800, that made range of 1300 to 2000 total. In total it was weekly average of 1350 net per day (I adjusted my custom goals: 1315 net calories, and 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat and having problem to reach protein goal).

Yesterday, when I got my first HRM and went for running, I realized that I've been exaggerating my calories expenditure relaying on MFP calculation and Endomondo's (which is far less accurate), choosing always smaller figures, BUT, even with that they are far less than I though they were. It means that I was eating more, but not THAT more...

So, what now? To start over? I feel so disappointed...

It seems that these last five kilograms will never go off.

I am 45 (maybe it's the answer)
    172 cm (5'6)
    60 kg (132 lb)
    body fat 24.6%

Any idea? I am opening my diary so you can take a look.
    thanks for your time
    Switch your carbs and protein around on ratios and stick with the 1300 calories per day for a week and see what happens. Your BMR is right around there so I think you should be okay if your exercise is burning at least 300 calories per workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    The last few pounds always takes the longest. If we lost weight uniformly from start to finish this would be SOOOO much easier. My scale hardly moves anymore, if I could drop 7 lbs I think I'd be pretty happy. I know I've gotten a little bit of muscle now, so I think my actual goal weight is unrealistic, as I would have to be super skinny and probably unhealthy looking to reach it.

You should try just holding your calories steady, net 1400-1500 per day for a few weeks and see what happens. If you plan to keep the weight off, you won't be changing anything in terms of how you eat, there's no quitting if that's the lifestyle you live. People can't drop weight and then just go back to doing what they used to, you'll be overweight again faster than you got there the first time.

Diet and exercise is a way of life, of you wanting to be a healthy person. Just stay with it, the weight will fall off eventually.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You didn't fail! So you found out you weren't as accurate as you thought. Starting today you will be. It's a learning experience - you don't start school in college, you start in kindergarten and work your way up. So the last 2 months have been primary school, you're learning the basics, you're making changes, you're learning the skills you need to move up. No failing!!
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You didn't fail! So you found out you weren't as accurate as you thought. Starting today you will be. It's a learning experience - you don't start school in college, you start in kindergarten and work your way up. So the last 2 months have been primary school, you're learning the basics, you're making changes, you're learning the skills you need to move up. No failing!!

:-)) I like this one, thanks :-)
  • babareeba
    Options
    Switch your carbs and protein around on ratios and stick with the 1300 calories per day for a week and see what happens. Your BMR is right around there so I think you should be okay if your exercise is burning at least 300 calories per workout.
    [/quote]

I'll try that. I am having the problem with my carbs intake anyway, but I'll try to switch the ratio and stick with that for a while.
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    Sounds to me like you should be eating more food. Never eat below your BMR.
  • Kimberleycommonname
    Kimberleycommonname Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My thighs get bigger when I do weights with them, maybe you should cut back on that?
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You might want to reconsider your final weight goal, and are you stuck with the idea of needing to be a certain 'weight'. If I did my math right your goal is to be 120 pounds at 5'6. That's pretty thin, and your body might be telling you it doesn't like that idea. :)

Perhaps you can create a leaner look by toning better what you have? Keep up the lifting and see where it takes your shape regardless of what the scale says. Take some pictures now and then in 6-8 more weeks and see if you don't like how you look even if the scale still says 132.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    IM 26YRS OLD AND EXACTLY HAVING THE SAME ISSUE AS U..I STARTED 2 1/2 MONTHS AGO MY STARTING WEIGHT WAS 140 AND TODAY IS STILL 140 I GAIN I LOSE I GAIN I LOSE. I UPPED MY CALORIES IVE CUT THEM. I WORKOUT ALOT ALWAYS MAKING MY WORKOUTS CHALLENGING AND NEVER EASY. I JUST DONT KNOW WHATS GOIN ON EITHER :( If you make a BREAK THROUGH please do help me out with some good advice as well and if I do then I will do that for you too :) BUT KEEEEEEP WITH IT WE MUST! WE CAN DO THIS!!!
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If you google 'body fat percentage' you will find a chart of body fat percentages for women, by age. According to that chart, at 24.6%, female, and 45 years of age, your body fat % is ideal, bordering on lean - already. Something to consider...
  • karisma81
    karisma81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Maybe part of your weight gain is from the weight lifting but you said your waist got smaller which is a better measure of progress than the scale.
  • Chloe_P78
    Chloe_P78 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you're 172cm and 60kg, you're in great shape and a perfect BMI. I would dare say you don't need to lose any more weight. If you lose another 5kg, your BMI will be borderline underweight.
    I think your body is hanging onto those 5kg's because it needs them :)
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It's probably hard because you're already very lean! 160 is my goal weight, but i'm 162 and you're 172. At 160 my bmi is a little above 22 which is considered somewhat of a "perfect". Being 10cm taller this weight is VERY good for you. And your fat percentage of 24% is also within women's range. Perhaps your body is just not willing to let go of any more, cause there's no more room to spare.

Apart from that.. try losing very slow.. this last bit if you really want it to come off probably won't come off with more than 250grams a week if that. I am currently 64kg myself, trying to get to 60 and i've been stuck on this weight for a long time. Now it's slowly, slowly going down by just switching up what i eat and how i exercise often. It's just not easy in the end.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm with this advice - I switched ratios with great results...
  • babareeba
    Options
    Thank you all for considering my problem. Probably I missed to mention that 55 kg was my normal adult weight for a long time, till two years ago when I dealt with some personal issues by eating and sitting.

I just wished to get back were I was at my 40s. And to gain some muscles for the first time in my life. I hoped that the goal was realistic :-)
  • babareeba
    Options
    Just a quick note that after 7 days of changing the carb/protein ratio (30/40), I got back -- I lost 2 gained kg in a week eating most of my exercise calories back, starting from 1350 net + exercise calories.

the most important thing is that my BF was yesterday 21.6%, dropping from 24.6% just in three weeks of eating more, and exercising the same.

I am reconsidering my goals now: more muscles, less BF%, don't care about weight anymore.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    <snip>
    I am reconsidering my goals now: more muscles, less BF%, don't care about weight anymore.

^^^ Wise choice IMO ^^^