Eating healthily whilst on a budget! :)

Options
Hi!

At the moment, I'm in my first year at university and living in catered accommodation. I hate being so out of control when it comes to what I eat! From September, I'm going to be sharing a house and cooking for myself :)

Can anyone give me any ideas for healthy lunches that I can take to university with me?
Also, how about snacks and evening meals?

Thank you :D

Replies

• paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    But in season fresh vegetables, stock up on spices and herbs they can make a huge difference. You can whip up a sandwich or a salad, do look into the recipes in the previous posts
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I work on a rather tight grocery budget - I buy lots of frozen veg and a bag of salad every two days. I also eat lots of eggs, boiled, omlettes etc and buy chicken and mince in big portions and weigh them out into smaller portions and put them in the freezer.
  • mummyv811
    mummyv811 Posts: 237
    Options
    Soup! You can take it to uni in a thermos and it's really filling! I make my own soup and it's really cheap!

Ker-ching :drinker:
  • lizj1
    lizj1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You could make a pot of healthy soup, and take some in a flask every day - that and two pieces of fruit, a yogurt and maybe a cereal bar keeps me going at work all day.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    for lunches we make big pots of soup and freeze them into portion sizes .....

on a sunday we have a roast dinner, then boil the chicken for two hours .... strain out the stock only and add lots of veg and some noodles or rice boil and mash/blend the soup then separate it into portions and freeze it ..... it only takes 5 mins to re heat for yourself when desired ..... this keeps our food bill down :)

ideas for veg you can add to the soup
    turnip
    carrot
    parsnip
    butternut squash
    potato
    peppers (red. orange or yellow)
    peas
    sweetcorn
    tomato

mix and match add what you have thats going to get thrown away in the next few days ......
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    The following site is really good, check it out.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/