Help please! Motiviation seriously needed

Options
Hi

I have had no Internet for 2 weeks and just got it back today, so have wandered far off course. Now I need a lot of motivation to get back on track, and to stick to the diet despite essay deadlines and exams looming. Any ideas would be really welcome!

Kate

Replies

• Chaseyk
    Chaseyk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The only limits we have in life are those which we set ourselves.
  • marlee356
    Options
    Pick one thing to get you back to motivated -- walk up and downy the stairs 5 times or exercise just 5 minutes.
  • BettyBlueEyes
    BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hey Marlee - thanks. I'm running a half marathon on Sunday so exercise hasn't been a problem for a while, it's after the run that's I'm worried about as I hate running and know I won't keep it up!
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi Betty,
    Been there and done that .. (the lack of motivation thing). I am now really really trying to just moderate in tiny ways to make the difference I need. If you dont want to exercise then dont (although it might make the half marathon a bit tricky) but make your adjustments in other ways.
    I messed up last year in that I got into a bit of a circle of pain. I ate less to lose weight, but had less energy and so didnt exercise as much, and so lost muscle mass, which slowed my metabolism down, which meant that when I fell off the wagon a bit over christmas most of my weight came back in the form of stored fat... dammit!
    This year as I said in my post earlier, I am just trying to cut down a bit, do a bit more exercise, and balance my calories so 'in' is a bit less than 'out'. Still having treats, still losing weight but hopefully ina more sustainable way.

Way to go with the marathon btw. Good luck!
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think you should think back to what got you started in the first place. So you missed two weeks of logging food, so what? Think about if you still want to reach that goal and get started today!
  • Angelfromokc
    Angelfromokc Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Totally understand ya! I decided to go back to school in january and it's been crazy trying to balance everything. I've gained what I've lost and maybe then some. But I'm getting back on track! Good luck to ya! :)
  • BettyBlueEyes
    Options
    Hey
    Thanks to all of you for the support! Great stuff, and I'm feeling like maybe I can actually do this! I've been reading up on nutrition pre-half marathon and it turns out I have to be carb loading this week, so I'll just enjoy it (and leave out the cake!). No refined sugars or high fat though, will keep within my limits for everything other than carbs. Come Monday morning it starts for real :) I'm actually looking forward to it!
    Kate
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You can't just try, you have to do. When you don't feel like doing something that's your cue to get up and do it.
  • leaso75581
    leaso75581 Posts: 103
    Options
    I totally know how you feel..I'm planning a wedding, finishing my bachelor degree in school, work full-time, and trying to survive in a family of 5 (3,5,and 9-two boys and a girl) who happens to be very active w/ school and sports. so BELEIVE me, I know all about being busy. (not to toot my own horn :smile: )
    But someone on this site gave me the best advice: You have to decide how important losing weight is to you, and depending on how important it is...you FIND the time, NO MATTER WHAT!! I fit in an early morning walk/run with my dog, and sometimes during my lunch, I walk. The days I don't have school, I'll go to the local track, or my gym. I tell myself, it's only an hr a day that will make a difference. So, I take a half hr in the morning, and a half hr in the afternoon. Try to do something that gets the heart beating faster. Keep it simple, don't over think this weight loss thing. One last piece of advice: It's too easy to make excuses for why we can't do the "right thing". They're probably very valid excuses as well, but the bottom line is, excuses get us nowhere. :wink:
  • marlee356
    Options
    What activities do you like doing and what motivates you? i've studied habit formation over the last year or so. Boils down to really small stuff -- trigger, habit, reward. If running is torture, there's got to be something else you can do. Here's an example... I love reading. I have an iPad with Kindle app. So, I chose the elliptical training at the fitness center and read books on my iPad at the same time. I never have time to read otherwise. So, now I've combined something I love (immediate reward) with a habit I've created.
  • BettyBlueEyes
    Options
    That's a great idea, will have to try it - don't have a Kindle but I'm sure a series of elastic bands would do the job :) ot a big fan of the gym, but my membership is up soon which means I can move to a nicer one (the Uni gym smells baaaaad and is full of broken equipment). Thanks! :happy:
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you're a study-snacker like me, try just sipping lemon water and tea instead. Keeps my mind off procrasti-eating.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have had no Internet for 2 weeks and just got it back today, so have wandered far off course. Now I need a lot of motivation to get back on track, and to stick to the diet despite essay deadlines and exams looming. Any ideas would be really welcome!

Kate

A jug of water with a squirt of lime. It's all in the mind - you can swot to lollies and spoonfuls of coffee-milk, or you can swot to sipping water constantly. A straw is even better.

Good luck, and remember all students gain weight at exam time and even maintenance and not losing any weight is better than failing exams.
  • lucky2bhere
    lucky2bhere Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is a great tip - I'm going to try it!:smile:
    I've been a victim of this "procrastineating" for way too long.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Bounce back,
    there will be countless set backs over your fitness life,
    just do what u can, when u can,
    remember you can lie to us,, but never to yourself,,,,
  • skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    Make yourself a timetable, so then you have set times to study and exercise. This way it is set in stone and no ifs or buts about it! It really helps me.

Good luck :)