I'm nervous and need advice...

Options
Hi everyone,

I started MFP Mon 3/19 and have since been very active here on the website and find myself doing very well.

My problem, however, is that I've been off work these past 5 weeks (postop recovery) and go back in about a week or so. My time will be much more limited as it has been to deal with my new lifestyle change (the mild exercising I am doing anyway until my doc clears me.)

I know I have to take charge if I want this change, but I wanted to ask you great folks when you prefer exercising... in the AM or in the evening? I work M-F 8am-5pm and am basically a single mother (hubby works out of state.) It seems that when I am working, I don't have much time. The building where I work is on the river near a very gorgeous park, so I could walk during my lunch breaks, but I'm hoping this won't cut the mustard for long. :tongue:

I have ordered Jillian's 30 Day Shred and hope to utilize this workout as soon as I'm able. I know it's only about 30 minutes out of my day.

I was just interested in what folks in these parts of the internet prefer as far as fitting in their workouts. This is very important to me, and has been my failure in the past (excuses with time restrictions..... I'm confident, but nervous at the same time.)

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated, as I try to work out a plan in my head.

:smile:

Replies

• NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm out of the house for 11 hours a day for work, and my wife and I have an 8 month old daughter. I find time for P90x, which is 60-90 minutes 6 days a week, my wife (stay at home mom and works from home part time) is doing power 90, and both of us are doing couch to 5k as well.

How do we do it? Mostly by not watching TV.

We got rid of cable when we got the new baby, and haven't missed it. And now that we're both working out most nights, we miss it even less.

Work out DVDs are definitely the best use of your time. You don't have to drive to a gym, don't have to find someone to watch the kiddo, just put it in and push play, and give the munchkin something to keep her occupied.

My wife and I are lucky that we can switch off watching the baby and working out. Maybe you could find a friend in a similar situation, and you could trade babysitting / workout duties. Plus, working out with someone else is a big help.

I've done well working out in the morning in the past, since there's no excuses not to do it (too tired, too busy, etc), but I've been working out in the evening a lot more, simply because I know there will be time, since, again, no TV.
  • Aryel168
    Aryel168 Posts: 126
    Options
    Thank you Nate! I really appeciated your suggestions. I guess I should have mentioned that my daughter is 16 versus a small child/infant. Still! HAHA I think for me, working out in the morning will be easier than trying to fit the time in when I get home- I just know (as in the past) that I will find excuse after excuse not to do it regardless of my drive to want to lose weight. I think for me, there are less distractions in the morning- I hope it goes well. Thanks again!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a YMCA in your area but check them out of you do. They can do a sliding fee scale if money is an issue and they offer free babysitting. Well, my Y does. If that isn't possible then I would have to say use videos at home and walking the baby in a stroller. I just am not into videos since my kids are older and I don't want to be watched. I hardly have any free time in the house alone.
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I don't get much choice in my workout times, because my exercise is mainly just playing my sport. For my club team, I normally practice from 7-9:30 at night and for my high school team, we'll have practices at 3:30-5:30 in the afternoon. I personally like early evening best, so like 3-7 pm range.
    For me, working out in the morning can sometimes be tiring. If I have a game in the morning, that's usually going to be all my exercise for morning or else I'll be exhausted. The afternoon is when I feel the most alert and awake and ready to work out.
    My parents are in a similar situation as yours. My dad negotiated a longer lunch break with his boss (but that involves him coming to work earlier) so he can work out during lunch. My mom wakes up super early in the morning and heads off to the gym before going to work.
    I know people who love working out late night or early morning, I guess it's really just personal preference!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    When I first started, it had to be when I first woke up. That way my brain didn't have enough time to think of excuses as to why I couldn't do it.
  • Lisamejk
    Lisamejk Posts: 3
    Options
    Try getting up 30 minutes earlier and do a home video. You will be in the house so you don't need to worry about the kids. I have never had luck working out in the evening after working all day, plus I don't sleep as well if I work out then. Try different things and see what works for you.
  • Aryel168
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think mornings it is!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I work 9 - 5 Monday to Friday, And I go to school 2 nights a week.
    When I'm not doing one of those two things I'm with my dog or studying Korean.

Since January i started working out over my lunch hour. We get an hour and i never use it all unless i meet a friend, so i decided to make better use of it. We have a gym at our work so i go up and use the treadmill for 30 minutes or take a class twice a week. I do Jillians Ripped in 30 when i have time at home after work.

You can do it! I believe for busy people, lunchtime workouts are key!!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    life can get busy...and you def need to find workouts that you can manage during your work week, and that you will be able to maintain for the long run!!!

Most jillian DVDs are great workouts and range from 20min-60min...so that is def a great start!!! the walks at work are also a great idea!! Plus find activities that you can do with the kiddos...if they are babies, get a bike seat or carrier for them and pull em on your bike, if they are older take them for bike rides or play ball at the park...there is usually something that can be done with the kiddos that constitutes as exercise for you...and fun for them!!

I work nights, so I work out first thing in the afternoon when I get up...not only does it give me more energy for the day...but then I also don't have to worry about it when I get home and am beat from the long day!

most important thing to remember...YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When I first started, it had to be when I first woke up. That way my brain didn't have enough time to think of excuses as to why I couldn't do it.

^^This! *lol*

I get up half an hour early and do a Jillian dvd (30DS is a great place to start, and once you get the hang of it her others aren't too expensive) or some weights. Then I get to shower at my normal time and so the workout hasn't hasn't affected my day's schedule at all! Working out from home is definitely a winner :o) I also walk to work - I know this isn't practical for most but if you can even get off the bus/train a couple stops early or park a mile away you add in exercise without actually having to schedule it. For me my 2 mile walk only takes about 10 minutes longer than catching the train.
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    I think this subject is a lil different for everyone with our busy hectic lifestyles these days. Bacically, it depends on your schedule and where you can fit the time in to workout. I work 24/7, due to owning my own business and this has been difficult for me to fit into my daily activities, especially sine we have a tow company and we have the phones all night after we leave the shop. For me, I try to squeeze anything in as much as I can and have been able to dedicate 3 nights a week to the gym. When I am not at the gym, or miss it due to our crazy schedule, I squeeze in crunches, push ups, jumping jacks, walking...whatever, while dinner is cooking, or just when I can grab 5, 10 15 min or more at a time. If you cant dedicate a whole hour or half hour..10-15 min of exercise a couple times a day, works fine for me. I think your lunch time walk is a great idea too ! You could even add hand weights for your walk too, which would help burn a few extra calories! Good luck! I know you can do this! :happy: :smile:
  • apriliamark
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat to NateDad - young family / long days.

I'm lucky enough to have a gym at work which I utilize almost every days. And my choice of team sport usually has proactice at ridiculous times like 10pm, so that helps.

I think what's important is doing something! Lethargy is a vicous circle, but energy is a happy circle.

The more you do, the more you want to do. So that walk at lunch is undoubtedly a fantastic idea.
  • Aryel168
    Options
    Thank you friends! :) I was a little nervous about heading back to work, as I said, having "no time" has been an excuse for me in the past. But I feel differently this time, and have more realistic expectations. But I KNOW I can do this! I look at all the success stories here and it just overwhelms me with inspiration and encouragement. I'm so glad I found this community of people.

PS I do have a state of the art gym at work (yeah, I know :ohwell: ) but I'm just not ready to do that YET! Maybe as I become more confident, it will be something that I can utilize. Thanks again everyone!
  • shannonbillows
    shannonbillows Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Turbulencetraining.com

bodyrock.tv you wil lfit in a workout with these 2 sources.
  • Aryel168
    Options
    Turbulencetraining.com

bodyrock.tv you wil lfit in a workout with these 2 sources.

Thank you! I have already "favorited" the sites on my computer.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just started couch to 5k and also do Jillian's 30 day shred. Both of those come in under 30 minutes but really get your heart rate going, just starting out. Plus, with Couch to 5k, you can push yourself as hard as you like.

There is also a dance video on Netflix (I'd have to look it up, though) along with a few others that are under 30 minutes that you could rotate... just get a roku if your DVD player or game system doesn't do netflix! :)