weight lifting and losing weight questions

Options
I am trying to figure out how I should proceed with my workouts. I'm primarily concerned with losing inches, and getting tighter and stronger. I definitely need to lose some weight though, maybe not as much as I initially thought, but still about 15- 20 lbs.

So I was wondering what I should do for exercise. Do I still need to focus on cardio until my weight drops, or is a calorie deficit and weight lifting enough? And if I need some cardio, how much is enough?

Replies

• BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    The thing about cardio and weight training is that they are a symbiotic relationship. One lives off the other. Weight will come off using cardio and cardio will give you more energy to do weights. Weights keep the weight off by building muscle mass. Do both.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit and weight lifting are perfect :D That is actually all I am doing right now!
    You don't need to do cardio, but if you like it go ahead :]

To be tight, fit, and strong weight lifting sure will deliver!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    The thing about cardio and weight training is that they are a symbiotic relationship. One lives off the other. Weight will come off using cardio and cardio will give you more energy to do weights. Weights keep the weight off by building muscle mass. Do both.

THIS!

And, if you're doing weight training, you can still be raising your heart rate and burning calories that way.

I've had a lot of success doing both.....I started out doing about half and half and lost 11lbs in 3 weeks. I've lost 26lbs so far, and I do cardio 5-6 days a week and strength 3-4 days a week. :) Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    If you only have that much to lose then I would have you stick more to heavy lifting and a small calorie deficit with minimum cardio. Body recomposition works if done correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Options
    What kind of schedule do think is best to start with if I do both? I read that you have to let your muscles rest in between heavy lifting, like only lifting every other day, but if you do cardio on the days you dont lift, is that still resting your muscles?

sorry for all the questions lol
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Options

I do feel like I have more energy since I started exercising, which ha been mostly cardio so far.
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Options
    Calorie Deficit and weight lifting are perfect :D That is actually all I am doing right now!

This is what I'd really like to do cause I enjoy the weights, but cardio, not so much lol

maybe I'll do a little cardio for now though, like two days a week instead of six!
    Options

This is what I'd really like to do cause I enjoy the weights, but cardio, not so much lol

maybe I'll do a little cardio for now though, like two days a week instead of six!

Sounds perfect! Do some cardio on your lifting off days for example :D Make sure you find something you like! I'm not so much in to cardio right now, but I love zumba, kick boxing, and play rugby. Something fun :D
    Options
    What kind of schedule do think is best to start with if I do both? I read that you have to let your muscles rest in between heavy lifting, like only lifting every other day, but if you do cardio on the days you dont lift, is that still resting your muscles?

Measuring tape works the best :D I take measurements once every month, sometimes 2 weeks. Scale can be a lair xD So don't let it discourage you. Water weight does crazy things :D

Yup cardio on off days still rests muscles, and every other day is perfect. I lift 3 days a week, and give myself one day of off exercise completely. Do you have a routine?
  • skichick1968
    Options
    Definitely find a cardio you enjoy. I discovered I just can't do machines, love kickboxing, Taebo, Zumba and BodyPump classes instead!
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Options

Measuring tape works the best :D I take measurements once every month, sometimes 2 weeks. Scale can be a lair xD So don't let it discourage you. Water weight does crazy things :D

Yup cardio on off days still rests muscles, and every other day is perfect. I lift 3 days a week, and give myself one day of off exercise completely. Do you have a routine?

I think what you do is a good idea, with lifting 3 days and having one day off completely.

I've been doing some research on starting strength training and trying to come up with what exactly I should be doing as far as exercises. If you have some advice on that I would definitely love to hear it :D

I did cardio/ circuit training today, so I want to start in on lifting tomorrow!
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Options
    Definitely find a cardio you enjoy. I discovered I just can't do machines, love kickboxing, Taebo, Zumba and BodyPump classes instead!

I think I'll have to try this zumba...sounds fun!
    Options
    I would highly suggest Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe :]

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Can't go wrong :] I base my routine around this one. Have gained a lot of strength! 185 pound squat and 225 pound dead lift :]
  • gmjminsz
    gmjminsz Posts: 26
    Options
    Three times a week is good for weights for you IMO, with big compounds. What I've suggested below includes a push and a pull for your upper body, and a push and a pull for your lower body.

Week one - ABA
    Week two - BAB

A
    Deadlifts
    Front Squats
    Pull ups (assisted if you need)
    Bench Press

B
    Squats
    Good mornings
    Barbell BOR
    Standing OHP

On Tuesday and Thurs you could do some core and cardio but, as said, you don't need cardio. For fat loss, in order of importance:
    1. Diet
    2. Weights
    3. HIIT

Steady state cardio is not great for fat loss - you will lose as much or more muscle than fat if that's all you do.
  • gmjminsz
    gmjminsz Posts: 26
    Options

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Can't go wrong :] I base my routine around this one. Have gained a lot of strength! 185 pound squat and 225 pound dead lift :]

Starting strength is a decent program

Good lifts
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Options

Wow, you are amazing!!

I will be checking that out first thing in the morning, thanks for the link :)
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Options
    Three times a week is good for weights for you IMO, with big compounds. What I've suggested below includes a push and a pull for your upper body, and a push and a pull for your lower body.

Week one - ABA
    Week two - BAB

A
    Deadlifts
    Front Squats
    Pull ups (assisted if you need)
    Bench Press

B
    Squats
    Good mornings
    Barbell BOR
    Standing OHP

On Tuesday and Thurs you could do some core and cardio but, as said, you don't need cardio. For fat loss, in order of importance:
    1. Diet
    2. Weights
    3. HIIT

Steady state cardio is not great for fat loss - you will lose as much or more muscle than fat if that's all you do.

I know what most of these are but I need to look up a couple lol
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

That is exactly what I do. I do 4 days of weight training (2 days of lifting heavy, 5-6 reps each exercise and 2 days of moderately heavy, 8-10 reps per exercise focusing on compound movements like squats, deads, rows, bench with a few iso movements to finish it off) and 2 days of cardio a week. I never do weights and cardio on the same days either. My weight has dropped about 12 pounds since Thanksgiving, but even when the weight does not drop, the inches surely do!

I would never tell someone to not do cardio, but I think it is overrated for weight loss, though. People stress is too much when the same results (or better, IMHO) can be obtained with weights as long as your calories are right.
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    I think all the Jillian Michaels' dvds give a great combo of cardio and weight training. It depends on how heavy you are wanting to go on weight training though...
  • suvernscorpio
    suvernscorpio Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    We have just acquired a weight bench so this post has been helpful, thanks :)