Confused and bewildered

Options
Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I have been excercising very consistantly for over a month now - varying between 10Km and 8Km runs every day, including interval training over these distances 3 times a week, along with an hour of tag rugby or hurling 4 times a week. I am eating between 1000 and 1500 calories a day. The problem is in this month I have gone from 11 stone 5lbs to 12 stone 7lbs. Im frustrated and also a little worried as this has never happened to me before. If anyone can give me some idea what to do next I'd really apprectiate it.
Thanks
Siobh

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1000-1500 cals a day? or NETTING 1000-1500 cals a day?
  • siobhabutler
    siobhabutler Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I dont understand the question?
  • vivo
    vivo Posts: 80
    Options
    What Kirsty means is are you only eating a total of 1000-1500 calories despite your exercise. On the days I workout, MFP allows more calories for me to make up for the calories burnt when exercising, hence net calories :)
  • siobhabutler
    Options
    Oh sorry no I eat 1000 -1500 I dont count the excercise calories as edible :)
  • LittleEdenx
    LittleEdenx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sorry new to this site. I don't understand???? This site set my calories at 1200. So does this mean that if I do exercise I can have more calories? And how do I know what my increase would be? Do you have to decide what your doing that day and predict the exercise?

Debbiex
  • Verna1961
    Options
    It appears you are not getting enough calories for the body to properly burn and build! Dont't know where you live, however Bolthouse Farms has some very wonderful all natural protein drinks. Best of luck!!!
  • siobhabutler
    Options
    Thanks for that - I might go back on a more protein based diet then.... I've tried everything
  • Kirsty_UK
    Options
    I would suggest you do some searches on this site for "exercise calories" and do some reading, but simply put

1) your body needs fuel
    2) if you exercise, it needs more fuel
    3) MFP (if you set it to lose X amount a week) already puts you on a calorie deficit (ie eating less than your body burns in a day) so that you lose weight
    4) if you exercise, then your body is burning even more than is recommended, compared to what you are eating, unless you eat more

When you exercise, if you log it on mfp, it adds these calories to your daily target. So look on your news feed/home page at the top, and see what it says your net calories are. This figure should be close to your daily calorie target.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Options
    Sorry new to this site. I don't understand???? This site set my calories at 1200. So does this mean that if I do exercise I can have more calories? And how do I know what my increase would be? Do you have to decide what your doing that day and predict the exercise?

Debbiex

You learn from experience - if you exercise and enter it on the site, MFP will tell you what extra you need to eat, but obviously if you exercise a lot, or late in the day, that's harder to plan for

Over time you'll learn what amount you burn based on different exercises, and ways to spread those extra cals out over the day
  • swtwc
    swtwc Posts: 2
    Options
    Eating back my calories was one of the hardest things to learn for me. Once I trusted my body and started to do this the weight started dropping again.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I put weight on when I started exercising (and it had been dropping off before) but I wasn't eating back the exercise calories ('cos I thought, do more, eat less....right!?) but I've done the research and decided to try eating everything back and so far (two weeks in) I've started losing again! It seems so counter-intuitive, but it does make sense if you read through the theory :)

I know all bodies are different, but it might well be what you need :)
  • siobhabutler
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm eating my calories now and also I stopped taking a pill I was on - so fingers crossed it falls off again soon. Will keep you posted.