fell off the wagon, can't get back on - vent

Options
I am so super frustrated with myself! My husband was off work all last week and I tried to be good and log and keep up my work-outs but he's so super busy and works so much that I just wanted to spend time with him. So my good behavior tapered off and by the end of the week I wasn't logging, not working out and eating pizza and ice cream. He's back to work and back to his long hours this week and I am trying to get back in the groove. I want to loose weight I want to be healthy, so why is getting back to the way it was so hard? At least I am logging again, but I am cheating, last night I ate pecans, a slice of bread and peanut butter that I didn't log, oh and grapefruit juice. The day before I went over calories by like 300. I haven't worked out and I can't convince myself to get my but in gear to do it. I am afraid of the scale, although I did weigh yesterday and discovered I hadn't gained. I always say "I'll wake up early and get the work out in before [my 8-month-old son] wakes up. It never happens so I say "during his nap time" I am doing laundry or cleaning or whatever and don't work out. So I say "when his daddy gets home" then I make dinner and I just want to spend time with my family for an hour or two before it's time to put the little one down to bed. I was doing so good before, how come it's so hard now? I know this is about will power and self-motivation but where'd mine go? I was so full of it two weeks ago.

Replies

• janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It's always a little difficult to get yourself back up after a "binge". What I'd suggest: try it for 24 hours. Always think: I only need to stick to the plan for the next 24 h! And instead of thinking of making time for an entire workout, just slip in really short bursts, like dancing to a song you love (you can do that with your baby in your arms), or maybe do a set of 10 jumps or smtg like that.

It will come back to you!
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    At least you're realizing your mistake and trying to work towards getting back on track. That's more then I can say for a lot of people. I think at the end of the day we're all only human and the best thing we can do is learn from our mistakes. And as far as motivation goes...it's a tough thing and I say to each their own as we're all individuals. But here's the realization I made a while back that helped me and I read if I ever feel like I'm slipping...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/zacherybinx/view/my-motivation-4-19-2011-94330

Taken from above link:
    "What keeps me motivated to lose weight and live a health lifestyle? There are a lot of people out there with really cliche answers...for example to look sexy in something or other, lose 50 lbs, run a 10 minute mile or whatever else it may be.

I want to workout/eat healthy because I feel like I owe it to all those who are less fortunate then myself and can't. There are many in this World who can't even find clean drinking water or a healthy meal for that matter or don't have a choice in what they eat, so for you I will eat healthy. There are many who can't walk because they don't even have legs or are paralyzed so for you I will run. There are many who die in infancy and never get a chance to truly live so it is for you I will LIVE MY LIFE to it's fullest."
  • VRuff
    VRuff Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i understand COMPLETELY!! i have an 18 month old and running around after her wears me the heck out! i was working out every day for an hour for 2 straight months but then i had to move 2 weeks ago and ever since then i havent done one workout. my house was a mess from the move and i was too tired to finish unpacking all at once so its taken me almost 2 weeks to get everything done. i keep telling myself that as soon as everything is organized ill start working out again but it still hasnt happened. and trust me ive been logging mostly everything i eat ( and i mean mostly because there are things that i "sample" here and there during the day that i dont count) and i go over every time. with all the commotion i havent done any of my meal planning and it's thrown everything out of whack. i keep telling myself that the only reason i havent worked out is because things werent organized but up until the move i was working out on cluttered floors and all; i did not care as long as i did my workout. i need to just stop planning and just DO IT...i know i havent gained but i havent lost in 2 weeks so im behind in my progress. i hope that you get that motivation back asap and that you restart your journey to a healthier you! :heart:
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    moving can be stressful. We moved in December, so there was Christmas and a baby and bla bla bla. I understand the moving thing.

Thanks for the support. I think I get better day by day and hopefully I learn from this experience and don't do the same thing the next time my husband is off work. I go back to work in August after maternity leave. I need to have some good habits by then or being at a desk job again will not be healthy for me.

I had to pick up some vitamins for my little one and instead of taking the bus I walked there and back. I used my tracks to see how fast I was going and so I got a fair bit of exercise in today. It's better than I have been doing.

Thanks again for the support
  • Behl9
    Behl9 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    At least you're realizing your mistake and trying to work towards getting back on track. That's more then I can say for a lot of people. I think at the end of the day we're all only human and the best thing we can do is learn from our mistakes. And as far as motivation goes...it's a tough thing and I say to each their own as we're all individuals. But here's the realization I made a while back that helped me and I read if I ever feel like I'm slipping...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/zacherybinx/view/my-motivation-4-19-2011-94330

Taken from above link:
    "What keeps me motivated to lose weight and live a health lifestyle? There are a lot of people out there with really cliche answers...for example to look sexy in something or other, lose 50 lbs, run a 10 minute mile or whatever else it may be.

I want to workout/eat healthy because I feel like I owe it to all those who are less fortunate then myself and can't. There are many in this World who can't even find clean drinking water or a healthy meal for that matter or don't have a choice in what they eat, so for you I will eat healthy. There are many who can't walk because they don't even have legs or are paralyzed so for you I will run. There are many who die in infancy and never get a chance to truly live so it is for you I will LIVE MY LIFE to it's fullest."

^^This is great!^^
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. The goal here is to increase fitness and lose weight .. Don't try to make huge changes or restrictions on yourself, deprivation is a huge downfall on this "journey". Moderation is key. As one poster said, try to just go by 24 hrs at a time and see how that does. Life happens and there is no reason for not being able to move your body for 5-10 minutes 5x's a day. Good luck, you CAN get back on track, just don't deprive yourself. I refuse to deprive myself of any food and it has worked for over the last year.

Good luck!
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I keep making excuses and find myself forgetting to log foods. I think the best we can do is get back into the routine one day at a time. Like the above poster said: dancing to a song, maybe cleaning the house, taking a walk. I think any movement is good movement. Feel free to add me...maybe we could motivate each other. Best of luck!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I was struggling to get back on track, but told myself that summer was going to be here and I'd be really unhappy if I hadn't shifted more weight. Its been sunny this week and i want to feel better in a dress so I'm buckling down. Time to buckle down. It worked for me and I've been back on the wagon 3 days now x
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Parenting.... mothering is tiring and it IS really hard to tdo things like work out. Does your baby like the stroller? Have you thought of joining a strollercize group in your area? For me, I had to wait until each of my babies was almost 3 before I could commit to a plan. I have a lot of respect for you for doing this, please don't beat yourself up... the job you are doing (taking care of a baby) is hugely demanding (and wonderful). Fit in what you can, try to be good to yourself and eat right, rest and be kind to yourself. You deserve it.
  • rkteal
    rkteal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    All good advice, I always log stuff when I splurge. I'm human, and not perfect, but I do book everything good bad and ugly.....
    I lost the motivation a time or two. Remember how good it feels when your on top, working out, eating right, you feel like a dynamo. You are a warrior trying to slay a dragon. If you want to slay the dragon you have to take care of yourself in all ways.
    Good Luck! Take care and be well!
  • mcandyr
    mcandyr Posts: 36
    Options
    Thank you zacherybinx for reminding me of how truly fortunate I am.....and taking this for granted is a real sin.
  • Pattinan
    Pattinan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am in your exact position right now. Spring break in Vegas for 9 days left me with 6 extra lbs. that I had worked so hard to lose..amazing how fast it returns and how hard it is to take off. I am trying to eat clean..sort of made it yesterday but added 2 T almond butter before bed..not much but still unplanned and impulsive/compulsive. Our good mindset will return. Make it from 1 meal/snack to the next. Record it all..the good and the not so good, Weigh every day just to stay focused. I did not weigh for those 9 days..that's when I slip into denial.
  • RaniMerryman
    RaniMerryman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you have a friend close by, see if you can get them to work out with you. I started working out on Skype with my sister at 6 AM! It STINKS... but I get up for her easier than I would if no one else were counting on me to be there. They say anything you do becomes a habbit afer 3 days... so if you can make it 3 days, you are back ON the wagon! gl....and I have a 4 and 6 ear old. Do it now while he is tiny.... it just gets tougher to fit it in later if you aren't in the routine!
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Trip to Mexico has turned me into my old self and I HATE it! Need to get back on track but those little monsters are back again making me eat crap!!!
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I agree with what people have said. One of the things I do is look at what I AM doing and focus on expanding what I am doing right at this moment.

House cleaning burns a lot of calories. Log that in as exercise until you can find your way back to getting back on a schedule.

And don't be too hard on yourself. If you eat right and do what you can till you can do more, be proud of that. Being a mother is an amazing amount of hard work. You have a lot to be proud of.

Hang in there. :-)
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am going on a year and a half of on again off again. But I will tell you this. If it is to busy to log. I keep a mental list of what I have eaten, because since logging on and off I have found that I am better at portions. from Oct-dec I decided to to back off my cals. I ate healthy and real portion sizes. I lost 5 lbs. Jan-Feb I didn't really keep up with anything because My husband was headed out of country(we join him soon).
    When I started again, I was very surprised I had not gained the weight back, Because I learned one thing. PORTION CONTROL.
    Now, I log, exercise, and eat healthy and have lost 4 more lbs. My Mom thinks it is funny I am only losing 1/2lb a week. Well I have learned already, quick off- quick on.
    And with snick snacking kids, it is really the best way.

You will get there some of us have lives that is how we got here to begin with! You Can DO It!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    As for time to exercise....write it in your calender. Make it an appointment. You will be more apt to follow through.
  • MrsGreenTea703
    MrsGreenTea703 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    April 1 will be my 8th month weigh-in. I've learned so much on this journey. I have less then 30 pounds until I hit my goal weight. I have a blog on here with motivational words and pictures. If you are interested in taking a look. I'm here if you need anything. Add me if you'd like, just include a little message.

Here's a link to my most recent blog- Want to know the SECRET?!?!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MrsGreenTea703/view/want-to-know-the-secret-233451

One day at a time. Drink plenty of water. MOST importantly, believe in yourself.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    First, I am going to ask you, for your child, husband, and even for you, put down the guilt. Nothing to feel guilty about. Guilt will only get in the way. Just set it out with the garbage. You are an adult and if you want some ice cream or Pizza it is okay. I will write you a note if you need one. Now you can move forward.

For me I had to make it just like getting the laundry done. I don't have to convince myself to cook dinner, go to work, wash laundry. I had to think of it like any other work, the workout is just part of what had to be done for the day. Now, I don't even really think much about it. I go home, change and get a workout in. Since I have done that, I get excited about what workout I will do....I don't do the same thing all the time because it would get boring and I would dread it.

Lately it has been working in the garden, bike riding, and HIIT workouts. But I can do any workout that strikes me, unless I am working on a specific goal.

I don't have a baby or a husband ;) but if you can make the workout just part of the work that has to be done like running the vacuum then it may become easier. The other aspect is to start with 15 minute workouts....no excuse to not do 15 minutes of work.

Hope that helps.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Being home with a baby is hard work so dont be too tough on yourself, especially if you are still up at night. Maybe have a notebook and write down what you eat to log later when its more convenient. And take him out for walks in his buggy - fresh air for the wee one, exercise for you. Do you have a gym with a creche? Or one of those strollercise clases? Or even mummy and baby yoga (altho if he's mobile youve missed the boat on that one I guess. That way you dont have to try to squeeze in exercise when hes sleeping