Question

Options
Eve23
Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
I have a milk allergy and I am starting to be concerned with calcium. I have had this all my life but for a short time I was able to tolerate milk in small amounts. I am finding that I am not able to tolerate the milk anymore and other dairy products are beginning to be ify. I was wondering what other things have a good calcium amount in them. I prefer to get them through food rather than pills because I have had issues with the pills as well.

Replies

• Eve23
    Options
    I have a milk allergy and I am starting to be concerned with calcium. I have had this all my life but for a short time I was able to tolerate milk in small amounts. I am finding that I am not able to tolerate the milk anymore and other dairy products are beginning to be ify. I was wondering what other things have a good calcium amount in them. I prefer to get them through food rather than pills because I have had issues with the pills as well.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Either talk to a dietitian or try Soy Milk, rice milk or almond milk..

Dairy products are an important source of calcium and vitamin D, so it's important that you eat other foods rich in these nutrients, such as broccoli, spinach, and soy products.
  • Kate40in3
    Options
    I have the same problem...

i have found that Silk soymilk is AMAZING!

The regular stuff can taste kind of bland... but a teaspoon of suger does the trick for me...

My personal favorite is Silk Soymilk Very Vanilla.....

Serving size- 1 cup
    calories - 130
    Total fat- 4 g
    Protein - 6 g (soy protein.. the best kind...)
    Sugars -16 g (a lot, but this is my sweet tooth fix... plus it has all the good stuff so it is an EXCELLENT "milkshake" altenative....

It is FORTIFIED with vitamins A, B, C, D, and E, and has as much calcium as milk... 35% of your recomended daily intake...
  • rdecember6
    rdecember6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I happen to love cheese, eggs, butter, etc. But I also believe in a lot of the bad "mojo" that goes along with eating dairy as well. (I won't get on my soap box for this discussion!) To respond specifically to your question regarding adequate calcium intake, here is a list containing some foods with naturally occuring high levels of calcium. Hope it helps!

fortified grains, kale, collard greens, mustard greens, cabbage, kelp, seaweed, watercress, chickpeas, broccoli, red beans, soybeans, tofu, seeds, and raw nuts.
  • Eve23
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I do drink silk but I don't drink it daily that is why I started questioning it. I am glad that some of the things that were listed I actually use in my diet quite often. So maybe I am not doing so badly after all. LOL I HOPE!!!

No worries rdecember6 I know what you mean about dairy :). But I do enjoy cheese and eggs and such also. I am trying to balance those things with my new diet because they are easily overdone for me.

Thanks
    Eve
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    It is AMAZING to me what an extraordinary machine our bodies are. We eat or drink less dairy and our body starts to crave things like cabbage, kelp, seaweed, watercress, chickpeas, broccoli, red beans, soybeans, tofu, seeds, and raw nuts. All those things I have been buying in my last few months' shopping, and I have almost cut out dairy completely. Huh. Interesting....really miss the ice cream, though :-(
  • Eve23
    Options
    I'm with you cheryl. I love ice cream. I haven't found a good substitute that satisfies that craving yet. Although sorbets are nice they don't always hit the spot.

Eve
  • brife17
    Options
    I am also allergic to milk. and to get my calcium i drink orange juice. and rice milk i think its called dream or something. love it
  • Eve23
    Options
    I have tried the rice and almond milks also. I am not sure I like any of them all that much. But they will do in a pinch. I guess I am a little picky about them. The one thing I do like about the rice milk is that it is lighter and doesn't taste nearly as sweet.
    Eve
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I just started cutting dairy out from my diet. Other than rice milk, I wasn't sure where to get calcium...

oj and chickpeas are great ideas I never thought of!