Elliptical or Treadmill?

Options
I have always loved running, but recently I haven't been motivated to run on the treadmill. I feel almost bored at this point. Yesterday I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical. I still finished sweaty, but I feel like I didn't burn as many calories as I would have if I were running. Will I still reach my weight loss goals if I incorporate the elliptical into my exercise?

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Go run outside.
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    of course you will, i prefer the elliptical. the key is to be active and to keep going. it might be good to have a change to mix it up a bit to work the muscles slightly differently. keep going and all the best with your plan.:wink:
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have and use both and I feel like I get an equally good workout on each of them. If running is your thing and you're bored I would say go run outside like ATLMel said! I love running outside especially in spring seeing everything in bloom and turning green, plus the scenery is always changing.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    I use both when I can...it all depends on my knees. If my knee joints are feeling sore, I have to do the elliptical over the treadmill....but if the knees are fine, then it's treadmill and intervals all the time :)
  • kelleybelly35
    kelleybelly35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i like both...but the Y i go to recently bought several arc trainers it combines the 2 together. i did 20 mins the other day and i was feeling it especially in my inner thighs and my bum :)
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had an elliptical, I think I used it twice. I got so bored with it after ten minutes and I just couldn't bring myself to use it (It was in the attic room!) I love the treadmill but I never run on it because I run like an idiot... I walk pretty fast though and use the incline :)

I prefer just walking outdoors though, I don't get as bored and we've got a beautiful nature trail near my house :)
  • kathyhaf1
    kathyhaf1 Posts: 80
    Options
    I also like to use both. It's easy to get bored with both, so try to alternate between the two. You'll still get the cardio in!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have always loved running, but recently I haven't been motivated to run on the treadmill. I feel almost bored at this point. Yesterday I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical. I still finished sweaty, but I feel like I didn't burn as many calories as I would have if I were running. Will I still reach my weight loss goals if I incorporate the elliptical into my exercise?

yes, if you follow MFP it doesn't matter if you burn 300 or 800 calories, since you have a net calorie goal you will lose the same amount no matter how many cals you burn.
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Running on a low incline and using the eliptical on a tough resistance for me burns about the same amount! It just depends how I feel that day!! If I feel like dancing I use the eliptical, then i pretend I am in a club and it makes it easier to use! Only problem is, after half an hour my feet start getting pins and needles on the eliptical!!

Enjoy whatever you choose! :0)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Of course you will...the elliptical is just lower impact. I mix up my cardio all the time, but honeslty attribute the bulk of my weight loss to the elliptical!
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I use both, I like to switch it up once in awhile:bigsmile: But if running is your thing, try running outside:flowerforyou:
  • Radcliffe83
    Options
    eliptical for not wanting injuries as minimal impact. Treadmill as I used to do long distance running and love either road or treadmill. I say used to due to injuries but now building on all kinds of fittness since finding this site. I VOTE BOTH!!!
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    Both, although I feel the same as you do, on the treadmill I burn way more then on the eliptical but I finish sweaty on both. I tend to go toward the treadmill but I am trying to switch it up!!!!!