Can you build muscle without weights?

Options
I am currently what most of you would call skinny fat and would like to get a bit more toned. The thing is every post I see says to lift heavy but I have no access to weights so is there any other exercise I can do instead?

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Push ups, planks, squats, lunges, burpees, pull ups.. Google 'body weight routine'
  • sewnice758
    sewnice758 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can always use cans of soup, juice...etc. Fill empty milk jugs w/ water/sand. There are ways around not having "official" weights. Good luck!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I would just buy a set of dumbbells and/or a barbell w/ some plates, look on Craig's List, you can find people giving them away for free usually. Another option would be a medicine ball, you can do a lot with that.
  • atx7
    atx7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Herschel Walker did.
  • catherinergrunden
    catherinergrunden Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I tried this yesterday. I modified it to make it a little bit harder and did 6 circuits instead of 3. It was decent. It's a starting point at least!
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    body weigt exercises are good, as mentioned above, and resistence bands can be helpful, and are pretty cheap

also, kettle bells
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises are great! I don't have weights or a gym membership either so I do the nerdfitness body weight routine, it covers all the major muscle groups.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am currently what most of you would call skinny fat and would like to get a bit more toned. The thing is every post I see says to lift heavy but I have no access to weights so is there any other exercise I can do instead?

Iike others have stated. Use your body as the weight.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Body weight, yeah baby.