No cardio=depressed..?

Options
kyunda
kyunda Posts: 340 Member
So i started out doing Turbo Fire(high intense cardio), i did the whole 20 week program and LOVE IT! So i recently started Chalean Extreme(strength building with weights) which does not have as much intense cardio like TF but it does still have some cardio.

I've just finished my 1st 30 days and the closer i got to the end the sadder :frown: i became...? I have nothing going on in my life to make me feel sad. So i started adding running into my workouts and will add more and some TF workouts too.

My questions is do you ever feel sad when you aren't getting enough cardio in...???? Or is it just me?

Replies

• yeowiepower
    yeowiepower Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    whoa... mostly im sad when i am doing cardio... thank goodness for tvs at the gym!!!

are you talking about the sensation of being tired but energised at the same time? bit of a paradox, and im not a scientist but would be facinated to know if its got something to do with blood flow and brain chemistry, or even a lack of oxygen to the brain hahaha
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Well in October I had a foot surgery and was out of commission. A few weeks ago I started physcial therapy and also working out again because I was so down and discouraged. I wasn't liking the way I was looking, I was tired all the time and just felt blah. Since working out and rehabing after surgery I'm feeling better about myself and over all just feel more energized. So I do think there is a link to working out and cardio that makes you feel good. I just can't wait until I can get a full work out again and hit the pavement running.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Cardio is wonderful for alleviating depression, gets all those brain chemicals pumping, at least for me. I hate running while I'm doing it but afterwards I feel elated for a good few hours.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    I pretty much only feel sad when I have to do cardio - which is also why I basically gave it up. I hate cardio. Now lifting weights? I get so happy doing that I feel high.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Could be something to do with endorphin production. Endorphins are produced in response to exercise to help with the pain. If you've inadvertently reduce the amount o exercise you're doing then it could be connected. Don't discount extrinsic causes though.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Cardio is my Xanax. I get irritable if I go more than 3 days without running.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Cardio is my Xanax. I get irritable if I go more than 3 days without running.

Yep. This is me too.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am starting to feel that way. If I miss a couple of days my whole world might fall apart and physically I feel sick!
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Cardio absolutely perks me up - whenever I'm irritable or feeling depressed I put on my running shoes.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I get anxious and depressed without cardio.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel better when I do cardio regularly, but I'm not sure I'm acutally sad without it. There are plenty of studies showing cardio being good for mood, including as a treatment for clinical depression. Our bodies are designed to have regular aerobic exercise.
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Could be something to do with endorphin production. Endorphins are produced in response to exercise to help with the pain. If you've inadvertently reduce the amount o exercise you're doing then it could be connected. Don't discount extrinsic causes though.

I think that it is, i miss the high that my cardio workouts give me!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I definitely struggle when I don't get enough cardio! Definitely changes the brain chemistry. This is why my doctor suggest intense cardio almost daily for me. Otherwise I get into really bad depressive bouts.
  • mlemore1965
    mlemore1965 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    whoa... mostly im sad when i am doing cardio... thank goodness for tvs at the gym!!!

Hahaha! I agree. Thank goodness for my music and the tvs. The only part of cardio i love it the release of endorphins I get when I run.

"Endorphins are a group of peptide hormones that occur naturally in the brain that, when released, increase your body's threshold for pain and affect the way you feel emotionally. Endorphins are chemically very much like morphine. There are a few things you can do to possibly release endorphins and increase your mood.eHow"
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    Definitely. It is tough to start my cardio routine, but when I am done, I feel much happier about everything. That is a major draw to continue.
  • candycurls14
    Options
    OMG I thought I was the only one that felt this way. Whenever I work out and I dont feel that heart pumping and that sweat falling( sorry if that sounds gross) lol I kinda feel like it's a waste of a workout, or im not doing enough intensity. I do get sad as well! lol