List of No-No Foods?

Options
Does anyone know a good website that I can go to that has the full list of foods to stay away from?

I know Jillian says to stay away from peanuts, strawberries and such, so I am wondering if there is a good site where I can go to see all of the No-No foods.

I am trying to change the way I eat and NET my BMR calories and I am having trouble hitting 1800+ per day (after workouts to net my 1523) and I want to make sure that I am eating the right foods to hit that number.

I was thinking of adding some grapefruit juice or orange juice in the mornings or something similar, but I want to be sure that I am not adding the wrong foods to my diet.

Thanks!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    What's exactly wrong with peanuts and strawberries? Jillian should know better that to say something like that. There are no bad foods, just bad diets, with the possible exception of trans fats.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't have a no-no website to visit, but would encourage you to stay away from processed foods. Real foods are the ones your body can process better, and are ultimately SO much better for you.

Try reading "In Defense of Food," by Michael Pollan. It's a great book and focuses on why food (instead of food products) are better for your health and the environment.
  • kimberlyfauskee
    Options
    I have never heard of staying completely away from peanuts and strawberries. Just eating in moderation and not eating high carb foods for breakfast.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    What's exactly wrong with peanuts and strawberries? Jillian should know better that to say something like that. There are no bad foods, just bad diets, with the possible exception of trans fats.

Totally agree with this. When you say "no-no" foods, what exactly do you mean? Does Jillian claim that they actually inhibit weight loss somehow? All nuts have benefit, though I imagine peanuts are at the bottom of the list. And strawberries are... well, a fruit, right? Fruit is good, in moderation.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I have never heard of staying completely away from peanuts and strawberries. Just eating in moderation and not eating high carb foods for breakfast.

This is backwards, actually. You should have the bulk of your carbs as early in the day as possible, then taper them as the day goes on.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would worry more about high unhealthy fats and white sugar. Peanutbutter and strawberries are a staple in my house.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think you need to consider your own dietary needs/restrictions/desires and make your own list. Having someone else tell you what you can't and can't have takes the choice away from you and relieves you of responsibility for making good choices for you. Also, no one else knows what you Love/Hate/Can't live without. Making changes you aren't going to want to sustain is pointless, as you'll just go back after you reach your goal weight.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    That's very strange advice. Peanuts are healthy (albeit high in calories) and strawberries are one of the lowest-sugar fruits there is, they are even allowed on Atkins! Seriously, Jillian said not to eat strawberries??
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

This is backwards, actually. You should have the bulk of your carbs as early in the day as possible, then taper them as the day goes on.
    I eat most of my Carbs between 5 and 11 pm. I had no problem losing and keeping it off. Everyone believes what they want. and will do what works for them. This works for me.
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    That's very strange advice. Peanuts are healthy (albeit high in calories) and strawberries are one of the lowest-sugar fruits there is, they are even allowed on Atkins! Seriously, Jillian said not to eat strawberries??

Sorry, I guess I should rephrase that. In her Master your Metabolism book, she says to limit these. Peanuts are good, but Almonds are better...that kind of thing.

I guess by No-No list I meant a list of foods that I should limit my intake of. My problem is that I don't and never have consumed enough calories. I am trying to change this by adding new foods to my normal dietary intake, but I know there are certain things I should limit. Like I could eat grapefruit all day long, but they are one of the foods that I should try to limit to 1/2 per day. Things like this is what I am looking for.

Thanks!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know a good website that I can go to that has the full list of foods to stay away from?

I know Jillian says to stay away from peanuts, strawberries and such, so I am wondering if there is a good site where I can go to see all of the No-No foods.

I am trying to change the way I eat and NET my BMR calories and I am having trouble hitting 1800+ per day (after workouts to net my 1523) and I want to make sure that I am eating the right foods to hit that number.

I was thinking of adding some grapefruit juice or orange juice in the mornings or something similar, but I want to be sure that I am not adding the wrong foods to my diet.

Thanks!

Assuming you're staying within your daily intake of calories and macronutrients:

1) Any food that you have an intolerance to or allergy to.
    2) Any food that you don't like the taste of.
    3) Any food that has expired or is clearly not in a healthy condition to eat.
    4) Any food that you have a behavioral issue with.
    5) Try to limit artificial trans fats.

I'm trying to think if I've left anything out. I wouldn't eliminate or avoid any food outside of the above list. Don't make this tougher than it needs to be especially when most of the elimination types of scaremongering are based on pseudoscience.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This is where I get my nutrition information: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

I would immediately stop listening to anyone that said don't eat peanuts or strawberries, unless it was my doctor.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Assuming you're staying within your daily intake of calories and macronutrients:

1) Any food that you have an intolerance to or allergy to.
    2) Any food that you don't like the taste of.
    3) Any food that has expired or is clearly not in a healthy condition to eat.
    4) Any food that you have a behavioral issue with.
    5) Try to limit artificial trans fats.

I'm trying to think if I've left anything out. I wouldn't eliminate or avoid any food outside of the above list. Don't make this tougher than it needs to be especially when most of the elimination types of scaremongering are based on pseudoscience.

This! Do this! A better question you could ask are for suggestions on some new foods to try and add to your diary. Do a search for recipes on here to get some great suggestions on what to add, not what to take away. I would suggest not eating liver and onions, but that is because I consider it to be completely vile.