How Often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. It's ideal for me.

I don't weigh myself everyday to see weight loss results. I weigh myself everyday to learn how my body reacts to certain conditions.

It's been a great learning experience
    This......I don't record my weight everyday but I watch to see how things affect it....like too much sodium, not eating enough net calories etc. I am learning a lot about my body and what it needs....it will forever be a learning process:)
  • confuzzledwife
    confuzzledwife Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning before my shower.. The reasoning to me is that as long as the weight stays the same or shows even the slightest loss (ounces) that's what keeps me motivated.. it's working so far :smile:
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Jump on the scales every morning to see where im going, but dont officially weigh myself til a Friday- on a health scale in Boots (drug store) to get a more specific reading and body fat % measurement :)
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I actually just had my sister in law take my scale, so now I weigh only try and weigh once a week. It is an obsession of mine to weigh about 8 times a day.
    During the early morning hours when I get up to go to the bathroom. Then when I get up for the day. Throughout the day almost every time I go to the bathroom. Then after dinner and before bed. I know it is stupid, but I can not resist and that is why I had my scale taken away.
  • marthanvictor
    Options
    I weigh in everyday...Unless I know I was bad the day before (to avoid demotivation) then I'll skip that day.
  • wvualum
    wvualum Posts: 428
    Options
    I weigh everyday as well. I tried to just weigh in once a week and I actually lost focus and feel off the wagon for a bit. Back to daily weigh ins now. I have to be obsessed to be successful. I only record my losses on Tuesdays.
  • sla1252012
    sla1252012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow im surprised how often people weigh themselves...i do it once a week as i think id be obsessed with every gain or loss

Same here.
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options

I don't weigh myself everyday to see weight loss results. I weigh myself everyday to learn how my body reacts to certain conditions.

I do the same thing. Sometimes I have something salty or spicy, and my body reacts to it.. I gain 2 pounds overnight.. but it's to keep me "regular" so to speak...
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Every day! I always have a loss if I ate like I am supposed to and didn't splurge, even if I didn't exercise. It's just a good job to me kinda thing.
  • sherri85
    sherri85 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh once a week with LOTS OF PEEKS but ive put myself on a 2 week weigh in.

I think that is a good idea!!
  • ksiverts
    ksiverts Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am enrolled in a university weight loss study that is focused on lifelong maintenance of weight loss (I'll be called back in to have my weight, body fat %, waist size, and lipid profile measured on a yearly basis after the intial study period.) and they "strongly recommended" that we weigh ourselves daily for the rest of our lives. They want us to write down our weight everyday for the first 3-4 months. Their rationale is that you will learn your national fluctuations over time and then you will learn to recognize when you are truly experiencing weight gain and will get it under control immediately. That way you'll never end up creeping back up to your original weight.

All that said, I am weighing myself every morning before I jump in the shower...but I only record my weight every Monday morning. I have learned things like not to panic if the scale is a couple pounds higher the morning after a hard weight training session - it has just become clear that my body is going to hold onto a little extra water at that time so I don't panic about it.
  • slowlysteadily
    slowlysteadily Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know that weighing yourself everyday isn't ideal, but I've been a mechanic my whole life. That has put the me in the mind set that if Ichange something that's broken, I expect to see immediate results. I know that's not the case with weight loss, but I still get impatient. I feel like I have to weigh myself everyday to see results and keep myself motivated. What thoughts do you guys and gals have on this subject?
    I weigh myself early every morning using a Tanita InnerScan scale. It records the data for every weigh-in to an SD card. Every week or two I take the SD card and dump the data to my PC, which gives me an archive. I can also take a look at the charted data in a spreadsheet. You probably want to have a smoothed series as well as the raw data.

I agree with some other people here who find the daily data educational. Daily weighing has - paradoxically - actually weaned me off paying too much attention to the daily fluctuations, which can be very large.

However, if I observe (say) 5 days of rising weight I know that something is not right and that I need to start being careful. If I weighed myself only once a week, I wouldn't have enough data to be able to spot that trend early and I would be inclined to discount potentially worrying weekly data as being "only one point".

SS
  • ksiverts
    ksiverts Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Only when foreced. ie. Yearly physical, or sporatic work morning weigh ins because "everyone else is doing it".

So how are you tracking your progress?
  • GlitterGoldJem
    GlitterGoldJem Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I try to weight-in every Friday or Saturday but if I don't I don't feel bad. I've in the past 3 years lost over 55 lbs (not including this new loss currently) and I found my pitfalls are when I weight myself all the time. We all want instant results but mind over matter makes us forget that we could have muscle weight, water weight, etc going on when we weight in making us think we haven't had good results. So to me it's always best to weight in once a week or every 10 days.
  • Kristen0526
    Kristen0526 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. Well, except for this past week. I don't know why but the scale has been going up, even though I'm eating a reasonable amount and exercising. Sometimes it's just better to not look at the scale...

I was having the same problem a few weeks ago, and I found that even though I was under my calorie goal, my sodium levels were super high!! Drink more water and you should start to see those numbers going back down!!

I'll give it a shot! Why must all of my favorite foods be so salty?!

It's a conspiracy. My downfall is the combination of salty and chocolate. When you heat up chocolate syrup and pour it over warm popcorn, it's like heaven in a bowl hahaha. Not good for my hips but so yummy!!!
  • yohali89
    yohali89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i weigh in everyday kinda keeps me motivated especially when you see results :) i think u should go by it which ever way u want as long as you keep the task in mind also get a measuring tape sometimes when the scale doesn't move it doesn't mean that u haven't lost anything sometimes u loose inches instead of pounds :)
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I started doing this to better understand how my body reacts to certain foods and my dietary changes.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    daily because I can handle it :-) I know I cant have gained 7lb overnight! but I know I could have lost a smidge of weight for example
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Once a month or less... I don't want to get distracted by the noise of weighing more often than that... I also don't want to have a reason to beat myself up because I gained a pound or two... but if I weigh monthly, then I can still see a trend.
  • KelliAnne729
    Options
    I feel like constantly weighing myself is something I've struggled with... I'm finally getting better at it. I'm thinking maybe once a
    week would be good for me, like consistently the same day every week (and if I do happen to slip up and do it a different day that one won't count towards what I'm tracking) we shall see how this works out