? re Sportline watch HRM

Options
Does anyone know how accurate the calorie count is with the Sportline watch HRM. I know my heart rate goes up quite a bit when I run outside, but it says I burn a lot more calories than I do when I'm running on treadmill. Can this be correct?

Replies

• cnartker
    cnartker Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just posted the same question.....I am getting 501 cal burned on my HRM but MFP says 345. I am 5'6 154 lbs and 41 years old....
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,107 Member
    Options
    I guess we're both stuck, since it doesn't look like anyone is answering. I am 5'6" and 150 pounds and 52 years old. I ran and walked 40 minutes today and the it said I burned 672 calories. That seems like a lot to me. But, even my treadmill gives higher numbers than MFP does. I read on here, or somewhere, that you should go by the gym equipment and not MFP. But, I'm just not sure about the Sportline watch. Hope someone can answer our question. Thanks for posting your concern too.
  • cnartker
    cnartker Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My 501 cal burn was 3 miles at a 12 minute mile pace. I know MFP is not calibrated for my weight, neither is my treadmill, but I didn't realize it would be that different. I have been recording the lower MFP number instead of my HRM to be "Safe" but that is probably wrong too.:sad:
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I guess as long as we're still losing weight, we should just keep doing what we are doing and not worry about the numbers too much. It looks like you are doing great. Keep up the good work.:smile:
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    When you run outside you have to consider you're running against wind and different elevations and that may cause your HR to be higher than on a treadmill. When running on the treadmill run at an incline.
  • VickiG36
    VickiG36 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I just got one and I just busted by butt for 20 minutes doing a DVD workout and it says I only burned 32 calories, when FP says 178. I don't know how accurate this is.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    If you want an accurate one,get a Polar,with a chest strap. The FT4 would be just fine,for both of you. Google them,I think you will see they are VERY Good.
  • StephyJeanS
    Options
    Heart rate monitors should be more accurate as they use a calculation based on your heart rate, height and weight. With the sportline watch, have you inputted your height and weight as per the instruction book?

If so - it may be that your heart rate is just higher/lower than MFP would expect for that workout. Either way the heart rate monitor should definitely be more accurate than MFP.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    My sportsline usually reads way less than MFP or the amount of sweat that pours off of me says. I think that as long as I am exercising and losing weight all is good. I have heard the Polar 4 is better than the sportsline.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I did put in my height and weight, but it was pounds ago. I guess I should go update that....if I can find the instructions. Agree, that as long as I'm still losing weight, I'm not going to worry about the numbers that much. I usually don't eat back all of my exercise calories anyway.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I also have a Sportline HRM and, like you, I noticed that the calorie count is higher when I run outside. Like someone mentioned, I attribute it to wind resistance and varying elevations. I adjust the settings on my HRM every time I lose 10 lbs.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Do you have the one with the chest strap?

Mine has the chest strap and I have always been happy with it.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I have a Sportline HRM and its seems to be very accurate. Make sure you have set all the data according to your stats and it should be fine. Averages on MFP or other sites cannot predict correctly since your weight is a huge factor-heavier people will burn way more calories doing the same exercise as a "thinner" person. Also-as you get more fit-your calorie burns will decrease as your heart doesn't have to work as hard.

My treadmill is set with my stats and is always OVER estimating the calories burned. Also remember your blood pressure changes daily-which affects your heart rate-burns will never be exactly the same.

When I run outside-I tend to go much faster and you also have to factor in hills/inclines, wind resistance etc.
  • sexybebe2012
    Options
    I have a sportline watch and it only lets me put in my age and sex. I guess it's not very accurate then right? It always says I burn way more calories than I think is right. What kinda watch do you have that requires the height and weight? I didn't see but this one at walmart and the one with the chest strap. I'm thinking I should exchange it now and I also wear it all the time.
  • Beatlegirl66
    Beatlegirl66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Personally I find my sportline HRM watch to be crap. After a full hour of nonstop Zumba it said I burned 150 calories. Then it said I burned 75 just walking out of the wellness center and to my car. Something isn't right there.

But then I take a Betablocker for high blood pressure and I know that messes up things a bit for me in term of calorie count.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I have a sportline watch and it only lets me put in my age and sex. I guess it's not very accurate then right? It always says I burn way more calories than I think is right. What kinda watch do you have that requires the height and weight? I didn't see but this one at walmart and the one with the chest strap. I'm thinking I should exchange it now and I also wear it all the time.

This is the same watch I have. I had gotten the battery replaced and didn't reset anything, so my numbers have been based on a 30 year old man. It'll be interesting to see how they change now that it is set for a 52 year old woman. I'm not sure how accurate this one is. I just try to take my pulse about 5 times or so, depending on the length of the runs. I figure that averages out and is a good estimate. I usually don't eat back all of the exercise calories, so I'm assuming if I actually burn less, it'll be okay in the long run.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I use polar ft4 a recent 5k gave me 627 cals which included a up hill 5min warm up walk and a 5min cool down walk average HR 136 Max HR 163 and im 49 yrs old
  • sexybebe2012
    Options
    I want to add that when using my watch, I have to check my heart rate about every ten minutes. It tells you to do this in the instruction manual so that the calorie count will be more acurate.
  • scubawolf1
    Options
    Hi

Wonder if anyone can explain how my Sportline still counts down calories even when im not wearing it? How can that be? Am I missing something here because I just dont see how they can possibly be accurate if they count calories when not being worn? Try it yourself. Put watch into calorie mode and put it aside. The watch still counts calories! Either im being very stupid (in which case please tell me) or these watches just cant be accurate. Thanks Trev
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Sport watches with heart rate monitors work best for steady rate cardio workouts such as running, cycling...not so perfect for weight lifting.

Those sport watches that are able to do a personalized fitness test are the best. They can calculate your VO2max, resting heart rate and so on. You are doing this test every couple of weeks while lying down and resting.

I have one of those watches, Polar RCX5 with heart rate monitor and gps. Mine is pretty spot on. How do I know? I ate all of my exercise calories back for some time and did not gain weight, rather the opposite.

Sometimes my heart rate monitor gives me less and sometimes more calories than myfitnesspal or fitbit.

Stef.