anyone use a recumbent bike?

Options
I use one at home every day... I weigh around 370 lbs.. and I do it for 30 minutes a day, approx 18Km/hour for most of the time. I am sweating by about 10 minutes in, and am definitely short of breath. At first i figured this to be "moderate effort" for stationary bike.. but it says i burned 579 calories... how can that be? so i changed it to light effort.. which is mid 400 calories burned.. which is more reasonable. I know i'm very heavy, and therefore burn more calories for effort out...

but MFP doesn't have a recumbent bike on their list, just stationary bike. I'm guessing recumbent takes less effort.. (or maybe that's just my perception, because it's easier on my back and butt...)

any thoughts??

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a recumbent bike and while I don't use it much anymore, it was my primary form of exercise for about my first 6 months. My opinion is that the moderate effort calories are probably pretty close. I think it's a good idea to enter a bit lower just in case though. I got a HRM a few months ago and the MFP estimates and my HRM's estimates are very close. As long as I really am working hard. I also use dumb bells quite a bit while I'm on the exercise bike. Shoulder presses and stuff like that
  • amoslionhorse
    Options
    thanks.. i sometimes use the weights as well.. great reminder to pull them back out. :)