Is myfitnesspal really enough???

Options
OK first of all hello to all of the amazing people out there who are going through this journey and helping one another out along the way. You are all inspirational and amazing people!! I have a bit of a back story to get into, so please bear with me. I know these can get a bit drawn out, lol. I'll try to keep it short. I have been using myfitnesspal since last Christmas (2011). I am 5'9" tall and 174Ibs. I'm a size 12 and still look heavy around the midsection, and wanting to lose another 15Ibs. I was also running/jogging 3 times a week and using p90x (not all the videos just the yoga, plyometrics and ab ripper) up until Feb when I plateaued. My jogs were usually 3-4 miles around a lake with inclines. I saw my husband have huge success with this. He is in the service and had to lose a large amount of weight to keep his job. He definitely had the well-being of his family to motivate him, and has kept it off for the most part with continual exercise.

Anyway when I lost my first 20Ibs I was so excited, but the minute I got off track with working out I would start to look heavier in my new clothes. I have always been consistent with myfitnesspal, but after a week of not running I could tell I was re-distributing, and getting some serious muffin top, lol. In fact I think what I've been doing since Feb is putting it on and taking it back off again without necessarily seeing a change in the number on the scale!!! It is super frustrating, and I think I've reached a point where I need to look at a change in diet - not in exercise. I have to face it - I just can't keep up a rigid exercise routine like that forever. I'm starting to look into more detailed diet plans that are telling me that it doesn't matter how many calories you eat, but where they come from. Like the Beyond Diet plan. They don't want you to count calories - just to eat the right types of them. Seeing all the information they have put forth is leaving me more confused than I ever was.

I don't know what my question really is - I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem of finding success and excitement at losing 20Ibs and then plateauing as soon as you stop the rigid exercise routine. Has anyone else thought about changing their diet plan, and what are some of my options?

Replies

• huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    don't let "success" also become "guilty of celebrating too early." If you change what is working don't expect the same results to continue I guess is the moral of the story.
  • MrsRobinson85
    Options
    Yeah I guess that seems like the obvious - but the problem is that I need a permanent solution that doesn't include training for a marathon. Seems like there has to be more than all-or-nothing.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The obvious answer to this is "duh, keep working out!" but any mom/ military spouse/ student knows that it is one thing to get out and do it, and a whole other battle to figure out a childcare system. Also, what is the point if I run my heart out and then miss one week and bam - the muffin top is back. Maybe I'm just too inexperienced but it's just killing me thinking that I might not be able to do this. It just seems like a non-workable - no-win situation. :(

Unless you're eating 3000 calories a day, I don't know how your muffin top would be coming back in a single week.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I didn't necessarily have that same problem..........but I have found that when I was finally successful I had to have a RADICAL change in my diet and exercise. And, really, I totally believe that a huge part of it is mental, too. If you think you can't sustain a new lifestyle, you won't. You are setting yourself up for failure. For me, it started with finally being SICK AND TIRED of being fat and frumpy. Like you are saying........I had this awful muffin top in everything and it was depressing.

I can see the point in not counting calories but I don't think that is for everyone. I'm a normal, fat mom of 3. I had a normal standard American diet. For *me* to see change, I had to entirely re-think how I viewed food, I had to totally revamp what my diet was and I had to get super serious about working out and make it a priority.

I think a diet change is definitely key. I mean......I see posts all the time on here where people are trying to eat the same just "modify" it and it makes no sense.........if eating that way got you to where you are today, how is eating the same way going to change you? The answer is it's not.
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    I'm having good success with MFP. I have always avoided writing down what I eat, but it makes all the difference. As you continue along, you always need to adjust to do things differently. A heavy exercise routine probably can't be sustained for a long time, which is a reason I don't care for The Biggest Loser. Who can work out like that in real life? Maybe you do need to play with how much protein, fat, carbs you eat. I know if I eat heavy carbs my belly shows it right away. I also plan to meet with a nutritionist at some point to get some expert advice. Hang in there!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    And I have to say.......dudes lose it easier. You are the millionth girl I know who's done the exact same thing as her male partner and didn't have the same results. I hate it! But I think it just means we are tougher. God knew we'd be able to handle harder work. ;)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
    Maybe you arent eating enough calories or certain macronutrients are out of whack.

I can tell you from experience that women who workout 3-5 times a week and are 5'9" should be netting closer to 2200 daily.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You need to remember that water weight fluctuations happen especially for women. I can gain up to 8 lbs in a single day from a salty or carby day before. This isn't fat weight. It's water weight, and it will go away in time. It does make me "puffy" too. Sometimes water weight fluctuations can mask fat loss also. You just need to remember that it's the long-term trend that matters not the weekly or even monthly weight loss.
  • MrsRobinson85
    Options
    It does actually - and I changed that last comment cuz I figured I'd get some sarcastic response instead of a helpful one. Anyway I have it set for my activity level and I eat about 1,200 on an inactive day and always log my exercise and eat the extra calories. A small amount of body fat shows up quickly at this stage with my proportions. Maybe my goals are too great but I really do want to lose another 15 pounds.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    You are right. As cliché as it is, it's a lifestyle change. When I first lost the 24+ lbs I put on in college, I used WW to help that process. After the first 13 lbs, I stopped counting points. However, I lost the rest of the weight by portion control, choosing to eat healthy, and staying active. Then I continued that balance to keep the weight off. I maintained for 6+ years.

Now, I would like to change my body composition a little, so that is my focus.

You really do have to find a balance to maintain the lifestyle and body you want.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have found it is 2 fold...Diet first and then exercise...

by Diet I mean the way and amount you eat...unless you have an awesome metabolism most people are going to need to keep what they eat in check...as far as eating the "right" type of food in unlimited quanities - this could bite you in the butt...after all fruit is a great source of food but for some people too much of it can have a detrimental effect due to the amount of sugar and carb in their bodies...

Your best bet would be to take a week and write down everything you eat in a given week - this will give you an idea of what your basic way of eating is and where you are at caloriewise...then take it from there and tweak it...you might be surprised to find how many little extras you ingest during a day...things that can be cut out or swapped with something more nutritious

the thing about "diet" is to find something you can stick with for the long term...if you go on a true "diet" for X # of weeks and loose 20 lbs you may feel great and then when it is over you slowly pick up old habits...
  • jennifernewman1
    Options
    Wow Dan, I did not know that. I'm 5'9 and barely eat my 1200 calories and usually have them left over.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Wow Dan, I did not know that. I'm 5'9 and barely eat my 1200 calories and usually have them left over.

Check out the link on my profile and see for yourself.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
    Maybe you arent eating enough calories or certain macronutrients are out of whack.

I can tell you from experience that women who workout 3-5 times a week and are 5'9" should be netting closer to 2200 daily.

Even us shorter gals can eat that much! I'm 5'5", 123lbs and I am currently in training for a marathon....I'm eating 2000-2500 calories a day.
  • sthrnspirit
    Options
    "Anyway when I lost my first 20Ibs I was so excited, but the minute I got off track with working out I would start to look heavier in my new clothes. I have always been consistent with myfitnesspal, but after a week of not running I could tell I was re-distributing, and getting some serious muffin top, lol."

According to your quote above, you quit running all together. No exercise? You cannot expect to keep weight off without deliberate exercise. You do not have to marathon train to stay steady. I am on the treadmill 30 minutes per night burning anywhere from 200-300 calories. I am, for now, keeping my caloric intake at 1200 and continue to lose weight at around 1lb per week. I am not over exerting myself but do feel really good. (and might I mention that I am lots older than you)

Stay on task. Stay motivated. MFP is epic!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

I completely agree with Dan. We are taught to keep calorie intake low but by doing so you are losing so much muscle and slowing your metabolism even more. I am 5'6" and eat on average 2000-2100 cals a day. I have lost 104 lbs thus far and still losing an average of a lb a week, lost 2 last week. More importantly I am maintaining muscle mass, gaining strength and losing inches like crazy. I'm down to my last 40 and waiting for the loss to stall but it hasn't so I will keep eating and working out! :happy:
  • adswillis27
    adswillis27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would consider looking at a lifestyle change with nutrition and exercise. You don't have to train for a marathon to lose weight and you don't have to starve yourself. Actually eating too little calories is harmful as well as overeating. Try eating heathy food and cut out some of the processed foods in your diet. Speaking of diet, if you are looking for 'a diet' then make sure it is something you can stick with (lifestyle change). Otherwise there will be an ending point in which you will gain weight back. Try to just eat better and move more. You don't have to run all day or lift weights all the time. Just focus on a good balance that you can maintain.
  • 1natacha
    1natacha Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm with you! There's so much to learn!
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what to say other than I know how you feel. I used to run a lot way back but then once winter came along I stopped cos it was too cold. I ate the same and went to the gym instead and did some work on the treadmill around speed rather than distance. Before I knew it my weight was going up and up and my clothes didn't fit the same and all I'd done was stop running. I didn't understand it at the time but now I know it's cos I used to run so often, but it would frustrate the hell out of me and effectively sabotaged my progress cos I was too hard on myself, started being OTT with the diet and exercise til I got sick of it and put a fair amount of wait on from comfort eating.

I don't know what the solution is, but I just wanted to say I sympathise. This weight loss lark is not easy x
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Yeah I guess that seems like the obvious - but the problem is that I need a permanent solution that doesn't include training for a marathon. Seems like there has to be more than all-or-nothing.
    The permanent solution is lifelong fitness and good choices. Don't see this as something temporary. See exercise and making good food choices as something you'll do for the rest of your life.

You don't have to train for a marathon but you can make sure to walk a few days a week or do an exercise tape a few times a week. You can have that burger or sweet treat. Just make sure to limit them as needed.

YOU control what happens to your body.