Need help, reunion food

Options
jyynnie
jyynnie Posts: 10 Member
My husbands family reunion is tomorrow, ( I found out late last night from my mother in law) and we need to bring a dish. There's a hitch though, we're in the deep south! So there will be lots of fried chicken and fatty casseroles. I would like to bring something a lot more healthy, but am drawing a complete blank. Any ideas?

Replies

• debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    A big green salad or a vegie platter always works for me. :happy: Have fun!
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem my family reunions consist of KFC fried chicken and biscuts and any type of store bought cake you can think of:ohwell: Needless to say that side of my family is obese. I would suggest bringing grilled chicken cooked or bought. Make a potato salad with a vinegar base instead of a mayonaise base. It is still just as yummy. Luck:flowerforyou:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    three bean salad--with a vinaigrette type dressing.
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different salads out there...or you could make some type of casserole with lots of chicken and veggies
  • almond13
    almond13 Posts: 77
    Options
    meat & veggie skewers... cut into bite size pieces, and marinate, chicken or pork, the night before, cut up a ton of yummy veggies like red peppers, onions, zucchini etc, bring some wooden skewers and toss them on the grill... fun, yummy, healthy and easy! Have fun!!!:bigsmile:
  • Younger_at_50
    Younger_at_50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here's a vegetable salad for you, I made it for the first time this summer and had lots of positive feedback.

Seven Vegetable Salad -- From Light & Tasty
    Italian dressing jazzed up with basil and chives sparks the flavor of this eye-catching salad. The blanched veggies in this colorful combination retain their crispness quite nicely.
    • One serving: (1/2 cup)
    • Calories: 47
    • Fat: 2 g
    • Saturated Fat: 0 g
    • Cholesterol: 0 mg
    • Sodium: 132 mg
    • Carbohydrate: 6 g
    • Fiber: 2 g
    • Protein: 1 g
    • Diabetic Exch: 2 veg.

SERVINGS 12
    CATEGORY Lower Fat
    PREP 30 min.
    TOTAL 30 min.

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 cup cut fresh green beans
    • 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas
    • 1 cup sliced yellow summer squash
    • 1 cup sliced zucchini
    • 1/2 cup julienned onion
    • 2 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    • 1 cup coarsely grated carrots
    • 2/3 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
    • 4 teaspoons minced chives
    • 2 teaspoons dried basil

DIRECTIONS
    In a saucepan, bring 2 in. of water to a boil. Add beans, peas, yellow squash, zucchini and onion. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain; rinse with cold water and pat dry.

Place vegetables in a bowl; add the remaining ingredients. Gently stir to coat. Refrigerate until serving.

Light and Tasty is a division of Taste of Home magazine and some of their recipes can be found on http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Taste-of-Home/Light--Tasty/Main.aspx

Good luck at the picnic and enjoy!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    you could make a healthy 7 layer dip with fat free refied beans, low or fat free sour cream and low fat cheese!

go to cookinglight.com and search their recipes - tons of stuff there!
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    meat & veggie skewers... cut into bite size pieces, and marinate, chicken or pork, the night before, cut up a ton of yummy veggies like red peppers, onions, zucchini etc, bring some wooden skewers and toss them on the grill... fun, yummy, healthy and easy! Have fun!!!:bigsmile:

mmm... great idea! Maybe I will do this for supper!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Here's a vegetable salad for you, I made it for the first time this summer and had lots of positive feedback.

Seven Vegetable Salad -- From Light & Tasty
    Italian dressing jazzed up with basil and chives sparks the flavor of this eye-catching salad. The blanched veggies in this colorful combination retain their crispness quite nicely.
    • One serving: (1/2 cup)
    • Calories: 47
    • Fat: 2 g
    • Saturated Fat: 0 g
    • Cholesterol: 0 mg
    • Sodium: 132 mg
    • Carbohydrate: 6 g
    • Fiber: 2 g
    • Protein: 1 g
    • Diabetic Exch: 2 veg.

SERVINGS 12
    CATEGORY Lower Fat
    PREP 30 min.
    TOTAL 30 min.

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 cup cut fresh green beans
    • 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas
    • 1 cup sliced yellow summer squash
    • 1 cup sliced zucchini
    • 1/2 cup julienned onion
    • 2 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    • 1 cup coarsely grated carrots
    • 2/3 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
    • 4 teaspoons minced chives
    • 2 teaspoons dried basil

DIRECTIONS
    In a saucepan, bring 2 in. of water to a boil. Add beans, peas, yellow squash, zucchini and onion. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain; rinse with cold water and pat dry.

Place vegetables in a bowl; add the remaining ingredients. Gently stir to coat. Refrigerate until serving.

Light and Tasty is a division of Taste of Home magazine and some of their recipes can be found on http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Taste-of-Home/Light--Tasty/Main.aspx

Good luck at the picnic and enjoy!

Yummy, will make this for next week's lunches! Thanks
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    If you want to bring food that *looks* like junk food, you could make the cupcakes with soda instead of egg, oil, etc. and the jello pudding mix and Cool Whip Free frosting. If you'd like to do that and don't have the recipe or haven't heard about it before, I can share with you how to do it, just let me know :smile:

Otherwise, a fruit salad, and baked tostidos and salsa come to mind... good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    bowl of fresh fruit

a chicken dish that you can eat - maybe some saffron rice with grilled chicken in it....
    spaghetti made with ground turkey....
  • spicespice04
    Options
    A giant fruit salad. Those always go over really well!:laugh:
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love the Biggest Loser Texas Caviar

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/biggest-loser/texas-caviar

The link has the recipe and nutritional value. Since there are beans in it. It is very filling.
  • jyynnie
    jyynnie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you guys are fabulous thank you all so much for the ideas!!!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Upside down cornbread with Yves "Ground Round" Mexican style, or plain and spice it up yourself. I made this for my daughter a few times and neither hubby nor son who are both dedicated carnivores could tell the difference.
  • sandra400
    sandra400 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hanne56

that recipe sounds good could you go into more detail for the recipe

thanks
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sure! The original recipe was with spicy chorizo. Other than the chorizo, these are the original ingredients, but you can substitute e.g. eggbeaters for the eggs, skim milk with a tsp of lemon juice for buttermilk and so on.

1-1/2 cups stone ground corn meal
    1/2 cup flour
    3 tbsp pure cane granulated sugar
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    1-1/2 cups buttermilk
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 package Yves "Ground Round Mexican"
    1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
    1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1/4 shredded cheddar cheese

Mix the first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl. Saute onions and pepper in a cast iron pan until tender. Add "Ground Round" just to heat it up and mix with the veggies. Sprinkle with cheese and spoon cornbread batter on top.

Bake in 400 F oven for about twenty minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 min. Run a knife around the edge and invert onto a plate. Serve immediately.
  • sandra400
    sandra400 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thank you for the recipe,sounds good and easy:drinker:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.
    ~ Lao-Tzu

This has nothing to do with the post subject, but when I saw Hanne56 ticker, I thought of another wise Chinese saying:

"Feed Me" by Shih tzu (my Shih tzu that is), AKA "Pepper the dog with the hollow leg":laugh: :laugh:

BTW thank you for the recipes. The salad is one I plan to try.