So for those who have done the C25K program

Options
lizo11
lizo11 Posts: 58 Member
I had started this program awhile back, and made it to week 4 (halfway through) and then "life" (really EXCUSES) got in the way, so I stopped. I started it again in the middle of February, and then promptly signed up for a race in May, to sort of motivate me into keeping with it. So far so good, I am in the middle of week 5 (first 20 minute run is on Friday). And I am curious to see other people's experiences with the program, and what to expect in the end. So far it has been a lot of fun (especially now that I am running outside and not on a treadmill.) and I was just kind of curious to see what other's think. Thanks!!

Did you exercise much before, or was this the get moving program?
Were you doing it just to get into running or did you have a race scheduled?
Were you a runner first or was this your start into running?
Did you ever repeat a week, or did you just push through?
If you ran a race, what was your time (for the first one)?

Replies

• nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump. I'm interested in hearing responses.

I started it but now I've just been running 2 minutes walking 2 minutes for 45 minutes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

I was fairly active - I hiked with my dog a lot - but I was in a depressive cycle, had gained weight, and was really out of shape.

Initially, I just wanted to do it to participate in the Warrior Dash with my brother and niece and be able to keep up with them. But I signed up for other races as I finished.

I was never able to run. I don't think I ever ran for more than a half mile straight, and that was in high school more than 20 years ago... and only to make up skipped gym classes. We had to do one mile per skipped class, and I had to make up a LOT of skipped classes!

I never repeated, and usually added extra. Maybe an extra walk or run interval, or as the runs got longer, I'd add a few minutes to the longer runs. IE, I ran 25 minutes on the 20 minute day.

My first race was a 4.5 miler and I wasn't ready to run that whole distance. But I was surprised that with walking, my average pace was 5.8 mph. I was running at 5.5 mph on the treadmill at the time! Running outside

My first 5k was a week later, and I finished in 29:42! In about another month, I was just under 28 minutes, and in October, around 25 minutes. In late December, I had a stress fracture, and had to take time off from running, then slowly eased back into it by going through C25K again.

My first 5k of the year is Saturday, and I'm hoping for a new PR. :smile:
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My first 5k of the year is Saturday, and I'm hoping for a new PR. :smile:

Good luck on Saturday
  • MikeyKeith
    Options

-I would workout at the gym, but never any cardio. This program was the spark for me.

-I worked a booth at a 5K last March, I was intoxicated by the environment and I decided to start C25K after one of the runners suggested it. Two weeks into the program, I scheduled a race to help motivate me.

-I played soccer all through out high school. I was mostly a sprinter.

-The program worked perfect for me. I prob should of repeated a few of the days at the beggining but I powered through it.

-I ran my first race during week 9, 31mins.

Stick with it! This program transformed my life. I went from 250 Ibs to 168 Ibs. Just running and healthy dieting!

Happy Running!
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just started week 4 yesterday. I repeated week 2 as I was on vacation and only got two of the three runs in. I have always suffered from shin splints, trying really hard to stretch and make sure it doesn't happen...but I can feel it still. I'm hoping maybe as my body gets used to it that will change. I have never been able to run, and am amazed at how much I WANT to run now.
    I struggle most with the breathing. I used to be a smoker, so I'm sure that doesn't help, but I just find unless I am constantly thinking "breathe in, breathe out", I struggle and can't make it distances. I did week 4 though!
    Still haven't signed up for a race...but I'm sure that I will!
    Good luck!
  • schmidtka70
    Options
    Did you exercise much before, or was this the get moving program? Not really, now I exercise at least four times a week.
    Were you doing it just to get into running or did you have a race scheduled? I WANTED to be a runner.
    Were you a runner first or was this your start into running? My start into running.
    Did you ever repeat a week, or did you just push through? Pushed through.
    If you ran a race, what was your time (for the first one)? 34:39/11:10 pace. I didn't push myself, I just wanted to finish.

Like you, I started the program last year and stopped when life got in the way (about six weeks into it). Then one day a few months ago I decided I wanted to do it again, but not start over. I ran 30 minutes without stopping and decided to do "Bridge to 10K"...and now I really like running. About a month ago, for the first time in my life, I ran for an hour without stopping. Last week on my 42nd birthday, I ran 5 miles. I LOVE C25K and B210K.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program two weeks ago for the first time! And so far I really like it and the more I read of people's adventures about it on here the more I think I am going to like it in the weeks to come!

Well, i had a secret love relationship with my bike in highschool -- anytime i had a bad day I would get on and take off down the road and I always in a better mood by the time I could no longer feel my legs, but then life, college, work, kids took over......... 25 years later here I am.

I had started the "get in better health" program, but then received a very inspiring email from a co-worker about a 5K. June 1, 2011 a friend and co-worker of mine was last seen at 4:00in the afternoon by her estranged husband and she has still not been seen or found. She is/was a beautiful and wonderful mother of triplets and an amazing friend and that co-worker you love to sit next to everyday! She worked with a trainer three times a week to get back into shape after having the kids and was very into a healthy lifestyle --- This year is the 1st annual Jacque Waller 5K! And in honor of her, all the co-workers are now in training!!!! I can't imagine her last battle so surely I can train for this 5K!

Never a runner! This is my first!

Well I did W1D1 twice and W1D2 twice - but i finally made it all the way thru!

First 5K is June 2, 2012!!!!
  • OnMyWay23
    Options
    I started with the program, but never saw it through. I too struggle with the breathing. My feet will move, but I have to constantly tell myself to continue breathing. I've never been a smoker or a runner and I'm carrying around too much weight to be effective in my mind, but I continue through it. I tend to stick with the run/walk intervals in the 5ks I've participated in. My most recent time was 38:38. I know the walking is what slows me down, but I've got to catch my breath at some point. Lol.
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It was my way of getting back in shape after having my second child. I exercised reguarly before having my first child.

I did not have a race scheduled when I started.

I hadn't run since I was on the track team in junior high!

I pushed through

I ended up running a race in November (a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot). My time was around 34 minutes. It was a trail race, very hilly and muddy. It was great.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am proud to say I am a C25K success story. I started the program last August and it's transformed my life. I tried many different programs and such before starting to run and it just didn't make me as happy as I am now when i run. It was tough in the beginning but I pushed thru and don't regret it. GET FITTED FOR SHOES AND JUST FOLLOW WHAT IT TELLS YOU TO DO! DON'T DO TOO MUCH!!!

My first 5k was Oct 30, 2011 and my time was 35:20 I just completed a 5k this past Sunday and my time was 31:00
    My avg pace was 9:49!!! Holy crap!!! I'm 43 years old and never thought in a million years that I could run that fast. (it's fast for me people!!)

I've done 3-4 5k's, a 10k trail run, 5 mile cross country run and my first half marathon is is 3 DAYS !!!!!!

If you remember nothing..at least remember this....get past that 3rd mile and it becomes sooooo much easier. Stick to it don't give up!!!

~Dawn
  • Shelley18904
    Shelley18904 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I did a lot of walking with the pushchair and started going to Zumba at about the same time but this was the first step into serious cardio.

Initially just to get into running but we entered a race within the first couple of weeks and ran it around week 7.

No, I was a confirmed non-runner when I started!

I pushed through but I never felt the need to repeat a week.

We ran our first 5k around week 7 and I ran 34:55 which I was really pleased with.
  • my2gr8boys
    Options
    I am in the same spot at the OP, week 5. However, I have been stuck here for 2 weeks. I am really struggling with my breathing, and keep getting AWFUL sideaches during the runs. I have to stop about halfway through. I have already signed up for my first 5K on June 23rd, but I'm getting nervous.

Any advice from other runners on how to get through? I already jog, so I can't slow my pace much more or I'd just be walking.

Thanks!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lizo11
    lizo11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I really thank everyone for sharing their experiences. It's good to see, and it is incredibly inspiring!! :)