Worst Soreness Ever!

Options
I've began my strength training this week and it's been working amazingly. But today I am so sore I can't even bend over to pick stuff up. Is there anything I can do to make this go away faster?
I warm up, stretch, workout, cool down, and stretch. So I don't think it's that how I'm doing things.

I don't want to take a rest day after every day I workout. :\

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be strength training back to back days anyway while first starting out, so take a rest day.

Contrast showers are great for soreness.
    Eating/stretching/resting all work well.
  • brandillyn
    brandillyn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying!!

I'm not planning on doing it back to back, but I'm so sore I can't even go on a walk.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you'll soon have built up some muscle endurance and this kind of soreness won't be much of an issue.

I remember when I first started an intense new strength program, after the first arms workout, I had T-Rex arms for 3 days (couldn't straighten them out completely). Never has happened since.

As mentioned, stretching and resting really helps. I also like to take hot baths to help relax the muscles.
  • browntracy72
    browntracy72 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a question about the sorness, I work out in the evening and after I finish my nightly routines I am so sore. It gets better in the morning but I dont get why I am so sore right (1-3 hours) after a workout. I do stretch. Why?
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me this week to take two Advil 1 hour before exercising.
  • natalienovella88
    Options
    My bf always tells me to eat bananas when this happens to me. Whether it works or not, I have no idea and while he is physically fit and built, he doesnt workout lol so I dont know how he would know this or why he knows this. He is a UPS driver and spends his days running boxes door to door so that is his only workout lol.
  • brookjodie
    brookjodie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Drink lot's of water. Lactic acid builds up in your muscles when you work out causing you to be sore and water flushes it out.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Drink water, eat bananas or drink coconut water to help replace some of the potassium, that will help. Also stretch and go for a light walk or something like that. I like active recovery rather than sitting around being sore on the sofa, but that's perhaps just my preference.
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    protein after workouts helps me!
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    warm bath with Epsom salt:flowerforyou:
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    My bf always tells me to eat bananas when this happens to me. Whether it works or not, I have no idea and while he is physically fit and built, he doesnt workout lol so I dont know how he would know this or why he knows this. He is a UPS driver and spends his days running boxes door to door so that is his only workout lol.

The potassium in the bananas helps with leg craps. Which might be his thinking. Also lots of water to help flush out the lactic acid. I promise this will go away after the first week.
  • Ducey99
    Ducey99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nothing like DOMS to let you know you killed it in the gym!
    It's only this bad because you're new to strength training (or haven't done it in a while) As your muscles get used to the exercise it won't be near as bad.

In the meantime try a bath with epsom salts.
  • TraceyR68
    TraceyR68 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I find a hot bath with epsom salts helps me! Good luck :smile:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying!!

I'm not planning on doing it back to back, but I'm so sore I can't even go on a walk.

If you are so sore that you can't even go for a walk, then you need to take a rest day, or you risk an injury.
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Once you've been doing strength training for a while, you don't get as sore. It's tough at first because the soreness you feel is tiny tears in your muscle, but that means it's working! Every time you tear that muscle a little bit, it builds back and that's how you build muscle. Just keep telling yourself, "No pain, no gain"

I still get sore when I have an intense workout, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as when I first started.
  • Dremak1
    Dremak1 Posts: 18
    Options
    My problem is I have been working out and weight training for months - I have not been sore at all, however I started an 8 week program for beginning runners - I have done the program for 3 days and am now so sore I can hardly stand up and sit down. LOL I thought I would be in really good shape for this but apparently - this is not the case. I am continuing to just work through the soreness but good lord..... LOL
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Motrin and a hot bath worked for me to ease it a bit ... It will ease off soon

But I still get those days that I feel like I cant move....but even tho Im in pain. I feel satisfied because I know I killed it !
  • fpgessel
    fpgessel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "My Dr told me this week to take two Advil 1 hour before exercising. "

Be careful with this response - there are many studies that show there are downsides to taking Advil BEFORE your workout. Here is one of them:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/phys-ed-does-ibuprofen-help-or-hurt-during-exercise/

I have always taken the Advil after the workout and allowed my body to recovery naturally otherwise.
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I started weight training this week using Chalean Extreme and I am very sore. And I expected to!

My worry is that it will never go away because just when I start to get stronger then I have to up the weights and start doing those push ups on my toes!! And just when I've mastered that we move into the next phase.

My instructor at my Body Pump class told me that a workout isn't a good one unless you are sore the next day. I really didn't like that answer! I have other things I need to do even on rest days, like pick up my toddler, OUCH!
  • grannynickel
    grannynickel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My problem is I have been working out and weight training for months - I have not been sore at all, however I started an 8 week program for beginning runners - I have done the program for 3 days and am now so sore I can hardly stand up and sit down. LOL I thought I would be in really good shape for this but apparently - this is not the case. I am continuing to just work through the soreness but good lord..... LOL

Make sure you have appropriate running shoes that fit correctly and have a roomy toe box.