running with a jiggly butt

Options
I've been walking for two months now, and I feel like I'm ready to graduate into jogging. Today during my walk, I finally quickened my steps into a jog. I was surprised that it wasn't burning lungs or a drop in stamina that made me stop like I have had to in the past, but the awkwardness of my butt jiggling. It was distracting and bothersome.

What is the short term solution to this? (Obviously the long term solution is to exercise and lose the jiggly butt.) Would something like a non-padded bicycle short help?? Basically, what I'm wondering is what is the equivalent to a sports bra for the butt??

Replies

• lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    i have the very same problem...i just know that my butt is gonna jiggle and i know that i am doing something about it! mind over matter...lots and lots of "matter"...

and, i wear running shorts, running pants and skorts...that are made for that purpose - i get most of mine at target - their C9 brand - and it just seems to compact it a bit...

good luck!
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I "double bag" my butt in TWO tight pairs of Lycra/spandex shorts to help prevent the jiggling. :laugh: It seems to do the trick!
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    omg. Thank you for this thread. I know my day is coming, because even now I want to break out into a sprint, but now I know what to do.

*chuckle* "lots and lots of "matter" :laugh:
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Compression pants!

Don't jiggle it when you wiggle it.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just wear tight, spandex-y shorts/pants to "reign" it in - I totally know what you're talking about though!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Look into compression shorts or pants. They should help to hold everything in and have some added benefits:

* Reduce muscle movement and vibration and focus the direction of the muscle
    * Reducing the risk of sports injuries
    * Maintaining body temperature and moisture wicking
  • bhall33
    bhall33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just think every time it jiggles, its going to start jiggling less as it gets smaller and tighter.
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i agree some tight spandex should do the trick
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Not o be rude... but screw it! Work what you got! Don't let people judge you! I'm proud to hear that you're jogging! I cheer inside when I see a jiggly butt personally, because it shows effort! Rock it girl!
  • only2bfit
    only2bfit Posts: 44
    Options
    Do some butt work outs, and if you don't know any google it! I personally don't like the compression clothes b/c they seem to smush my butt down and I already have a small butt for the rest of my body (if you don't have that problem then compression shorts are prob the answer though :P lol). But if you just firm it up, it wont jiggle but it'll still be there ;) Good luck!!
  • reese307
    reese307 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    LOL I thought I was the only one! I dont care so much at the gym as long as I find a treadmill not in front of anybody but outside I HATE it! yea spandex shorts should do it!:smile:
  • only2bfit
    only2bfit Posts: 44
    Options
    Not o be rude... but screw it! Work what you got! Don't let people judge you! I'm proud to hear that you're jogging! I cheer inside when I see a jiggly butt personally, because it shows effort! Rock it girl!

I agree 100% :D
  • reese307
    reese307 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree!!
  • deniseamedina
    deniseamedina Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Let it jiggle!!!

I teach Zumba and my girls are always worried about jiggling...I say let it jiggle...burns more calories :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    why are people so worried about how they look when they work out??!?

I feel like if you look cute, during and after your workout you're not working hard enough.
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    i don't jog yet due to crappy knees but I feel the same when I do stutter runs at boot camp. All it does is make your a@% jiggle- nothing else!!! But \i figure the more it jiggles the more that will come off, plus noone HAS to look at it. If they don't like it they can turn away.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I wear compression tights most of the time when I run (unless it's hot outside, then I'm in running shorts), and they tend to decrease jigglage lol

But hey, the more you run, the less you'll jiggle, so stick with it!
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    honestly, you'll get use to it. Part of it is your perception...if you're not use to doing exercise that makes you "jiggle", then the first time you do it you're like "what IS this?" After 3 or 4 times, it won't be as noticeable. Really. Just a few times is all it takes.

If you're worried about the way it looks...wear a longer T-shirt that covers your bum. Problem solved. Although I guarantee, after a couple of weeks, you'll stop worrying about it so much. But its a nice short term solution.
  • xjackie83
    xjackie83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just a clarification: I don't mind my butt jiggling for the aesthetic reasons, it's the pain factor. As in "ouch, my *kitten* hurts."

Thanks to everyone for the recs. It looks like compression shorts are in my future!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    compression shorts and what doesnt get compressd, just wiggle with it