I want to be a dancer again.

Options
I miss performing....music, theater and dance. (I could have been a triple threat. lol) I've let all of it go. I don't do any of it anymore. I just finished watching the finale for 'so you think you can dance' and its made me remember how much fun dancing really was. I danced from when I was 4-11. But I was always self-conscious about it since I was always bigger than all the other girls. My mom taught acting at the studio I danced/acted at and when she quit it would have been too expensive for me to continue with the dance so that's where that ended. I want to get back into it but dance classes are really expensive. =[ Sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like had I continued. I may not have such a weight problem.

Replies

• 135gratitude
    Options
    You should start dancing again! I too danced for 10 years, and I think my parents put me into it because they saw that I had a tendency toward being chubby, but dancing 3 times a week kept my weight in check.

I LOVED the show tonight!
    :flowerforyou:
  • lovinlife581
    lovinlife581 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a similar background - theatre, dance, singing. I still sing pretty often, but I haven't danced at all. I'd love to get involved with it again, too, if I could find the time. Check out the community colleges; sometimes their dance classes (say, with a residents' discount) are less than the dance schools'.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Honey!

I hope you come back to your dancing...you're a dancer and dance it like our prayer...it is more than exercise, it is an artform.

Check out this site for very reasonably priced dance workouts and instruction...you can get started at home:

www.worlddancenewyork.com

You can buy dance instruction and workouts at several sites...I use Amazon.com quite the bit as well.

Turn on your music and move...design your own practice and drills! It will all come back to you!

Dance and be happy!
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    There's all kinds of dancing you can get back into. Community Colleges have auditions for their musicals (it's open to the public but you may have to sign up for the class though) if you want to get back into performing. Then there's social dance. I do Argentine Tango, and if you have your own partner, you don't have to worry about getting someone to dance with you (that's where the husband comes in). But partner in hand is not a requirement. If you take classes, they'll rotate the leaders. And once you become part of a community, you'll get asked to dance. Tango is fabulous. I see 90-year-olds graceful on the dance floor. And although the dancers in Argentina are stick insect thin (they are obsessed with thinness in that country), it's not the case in the rest of the world. You'll see Tango dancers of all shapes and sizes.
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    Thanks guys. I guess I should mention that I actually am a student at a community college but all the dance classes for the fall are all ready full.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Crash a class!!! Just show up on the first day and most of the time you are able to get in, usually not everyone shows up, DO IT! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I guess I should mention that I actually am a student at a community college but all the dance classes for the fall are all ready full.

But, they haven't auditioned for the performance classes yet. So that's still up for grabs. For example, many community colleges have musical performances in the Fall. Call the division (usually music is in the Humanities and Performing Arts Division, but different colleges categorize differently) to see when auditions are. And it doesn't hurt to try to add a class on the first day of classes. Just get yourself on the waiting list. Be there early, and stay for the whole class if the teacher allows you to.