1st spinning class, need advice!

Options
I just completed my first spinning class a few hours ago..yikes! I about collapsed when I got off the bike..my thighs are like jello!! They almost feel like rubberbands..and when im walking, my knees wanna buckle at random times..lol...however im not sore or in any pain yet..i try to stretch my hamstring but its almost like i cant feel the stretch, when i know its stretching. like my muscles are numb? did anyone else experience this? and if so, how long did it last? i can handle being sore, but i do NOT like having my legs to "dead" on my when im walking lol any advice will be appreciated! thanks!

Replies

• uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Love spin class! does take some getting used to. You will be sore but continue stretching you will be fine... yes jello-like feeling is normal... and the crotch soreness will go away after 3/4 classes... Feel free to add and Happy Spining
  • billysmithsc
    Options
    BIKE SHORTS !!!
  • Starstell
    Starstell Posts: 22
    Options
    yes. i couldnt walk for a couple of days .your legs and butt are the hardest muscles to shape. give it a month and you will begin seeing how your legs become sculpted, thats when i saw definition. now squats come easy . taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work is like nothing. my legs are the strongest part of my body right now. dont stop. keep going
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I found it hard to walk after my first class but it does get better. I don't experience any pain now.
  • paulagabay
    Options
    make sure the bike shorts have a thick crotch. They are pricey but well worth the investment if you will be doing a lot of classes. I bought an inexpensive pair and they only lasted me a month so I had to turn around and invest the money anyway. Keep up the good work with the spinning. The soreness will go away. It used to be my favorite class with the highest calorie burn when I was going to the gym.
  • Cheri7477
    Cheri7477 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ROTFL, I had to laugh when I read your post. This sounds like me my first spinning class. I couldn't think when I got off that bike and it was all I could not to bolt for the door. I almost fell when I tried to walk down the steps out of the gym because of the jello leg feeling. Yes it does get better and I didn't buy bike shorts I just got a bike pad for the seat and that seem to help (notice I said help) but these are muscle that you don't normally use (unless you are a pro bike rider) so it took some time getting use to. Good News like the PP said after about class 3 or 4 you get use to it. Good Luck
  • whitwhit529
    Options
    thanks yall...today is no better lol..my quadraceps(sp?) are SOOOOOO tight...i can barely even bend my leg..its like it just wont go! i am more sore today, as i expected...but i hate this tight quads feeling..its so aggrivating!! anyone know how long it will last?
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I love spin class! I was so burnt out on same old aerobics classes so tried spinning. Its the first cardio I've done where I felt like I saw almost "instant" results. My legs started slimming & shaping up very quickly - especially in the quads and inner thighs. And my arms too! I was surprised at how much of a workout your arms get as well! Keep it up it will get easier, keep it at the intensity level that works best for you and work your way up. Have fun spinning!!!
  • NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    Biking is 90% quads, 10% everything else. Do those quad stretches before and after, and if you're still feeling tight later, do more of them. (Quad stretches are the ones where you stand on one foot, bend your other knee and grab your ankle, and try to pull your foot to your butt). For me, the best hamstring stretch is just bending over and pulling myself down my legs. But, your hamstrings don't do much in cycling, so no big deal, most of the time I barely bother to stretch them.

You'll be sore for the first week, maybe two. Keep at it. Spinning is fantastic exercise, and you'll have amazing legs once you've been at it a while.... plus it's just plain fun.

Cycling shorts are definitely a good idea, if you can afford them. They're expensive, but they'll save your butt.
  • whitwhit529
    Options
    my butt isnt too big of a deal...its sore but not unbareable..no biggie...im starting to feel the soreness now lol...but i cant stand the tightness.....stretching quads right now doesnt really help that much..it stinks!...cant wait for my legs to bend normally again! :-(
  • whitwhit529
    Options
    wow, i think i have actually gotten worse! yikes!! i hope this reduces VERY soon!! i can BARELY even function, not to mention i was up every hour last night stretching just to get somewhat comfy in bed...ugh...now im feeling sick to my stomach because i didnt get enough sleep....all from spinning! NEVER AGAIN!!!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    My muscles we're fine, worked but I was not in pain. The only think that was brutal was my pelvis, my bones and "inner" areas hurt like I was on some sort of naughty weekend bender ;) That took almost a week to feel better but my spin class was only 1x a week at the time so no worries, I didn’t miss a class. Sore but no pain ever since and I spun 1x a week for 6 months and 3x a week for 2 months – doing Insanity now.
  • tommysmom2000
    Options
    Don't give up on spinning & YES it is normal the jello feeling and YES it will go away & get better....you will actually see that if you do it again you won't have the jello feeling but more muscular tiredness as your legs get used to the exercise. As for the lack of sleep, did you do the spinning late in the day or first thing...can have that kind of effect when you exercise close to bed time.

I spin once a week as a part of my exercise routines & enjoy it as I can continually push myself harder with the tension. It's a great workout & you shouldn't give up on it!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    wow, i think i have actually gotten worse! yikes!! i hope this reduces VERY soon!! i can BARELY even function, not to mention i was up every hour last night stretching just to get somewhat comfy in bed...ugh...now im feeling sick to my stomach because i didnt get enough sleep....all from spinning! NEVER AGAIN!!!

Honestly, it sounds like you over did it for your first class, although it is okay (and good) to be a little sore after a workout, you should never be so sore that it affects your daily life. I teach spin, and we typically suggest people ease into it a bit (never try to keep up with the old guys - at our gym they are retired roadies who can kill some serious boo-tay). If they don't have a beginners class, try to modify or ask the instructor before class for some suggestions to help you ease in. Here are a few suggestions I give the new folks...take every third song (or drill / after about 10 minutes of hard effort) "off" as an active recovery /easy spin, then join back in. I also suggest they hop off the bike half way through class and walk down the hall to refill their water, not because they need water, but to get there legs under them. After you get used to the new motions and techniques reduce your "off" time, in no time at all you'll be hanging in and still able to walk.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options

Honestly, it sounds like you over did it for your first class, although it is okay (and good) to be a little sore after a workout, you should never be so sore that it affects your daily life. I teach spin, and we typically suggest people ease into it a bit (never try to keep up with the old guys - at our gym they are retired roadies who can kill some serious boo-tay). If they don't have a beginners class, try to modify or ask the instructor before class for some suggestions to help you ease in. Here are a few suggestions I give the new folks...take every third song (or drill / after about 10 minutes of hard effort) "off" as an active recovery /easy spin, then join back in. I also suggest they hop off the bike half way through class and walk down the hall to refill their water, not because they need water, but to get there legs under them. After you get used to the new motions and techniques reduce your "off" time, in no time at all you'll be hanging in and still able to walk.

^^^^^^
    This for sure. I would add that the speed with which you pedal when spinning can be much higher than on a road bike and that can be hard on joints and muscles until you get used to it. Listen to your body, use lower tension than recommended by the instructor, drink lots of water, stretch right after when you will get the most benefit and persevere. I absolutely love spinning.

One last thing. DO NOT spin to get rid of fat. You will find your heart rate will be outside the fat-burning range. It is a hardcore anerobic workout. So great for your heart, not so great for melting the fat away. I would also invest in proper shoes once you have decided whether you want to continue. Enjoy.