Walk Away the Pounds

I am just starting to exercise, haven't consistently done a thing in years, so even the smallest bit is tough for me. I just started Leslie Sansone's 1 mile Walk and have done it 3 times so far. My question is since it is low impact aerobics, is it ok to do it 4 days and then take off the weekend? Also, this is crazy, but my right butt cheek starts to cramp about half way through it, any suggestions to avoid that? Or will it just take time to build up endurance? Thanks in advance for your response!:smile:

Replies

• cin457
    cin457 Posts: 9 Member
    not sure but i think the key is to keep moving. Good luck!!!!
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 516 Member
    You can walk 4 days a week, not a problem.

Try walking slow to warm up. then do some dynamic stretches (you can goolge this). then do your walking routine. And don't forget to stretch after your walk., it will really help with the cramping.

I walk as my main form of exercise (I do weights too) and there are lots of ways to improve and get more out of your walks.

Feel free to add me as a freind and message me if you want to talk more about this.

Kristine
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Many Walk at Home / Walk Away the Pounds videos have a stretching segment at the end. If your video does not - make sure you are stretching afterwards. Many days, I will ADD more stretches. The cramping will go away when you build up more endurance. The stretching is preventative.

Here are a few stretches

Standing Hamstring - put one foot out in front of you. "Squat" on the back leg, point toes (of your front foot) up so that the heel is on the floor, and then push your hips back.

Standing Calf - plant one foot on the floor in back of you. "Lunge" forward on the opposite leg, keeping back foot planted. Bend forward at the waist for a deeper stretch

Standing hip opener - cross your ankle over your leg (above the knee) then squat on the standing leg.

Since Walk at Home is not high impact, you could do this 7 days a week. BUT - build up slowly ... do not try too much at once, or you will risk injury.

Check out GROUPS for "Walk at Home." Please join us.
  • lizarene3
    lizarene3 Posts: 46 Member
    Thanks so much for the tips! I will be sure to check out the group, thanks!