Nail Polish Help!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Options
    Find a reputable salon and consider gel nails? I get that done and the polish lasts about a month. It looks like acrylic nails but it's your own nail and they are much stronger. I've heard it's expensive at some salons but mine only costs 25 bucks
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    i just got a gel manicure yesterday - looks awesome, supposedly will last for 5 weeks. mine cost $30. as far as regular polish, i like to put a top coat of Sally Hansen hard as nails over my color. keeps it from chipping/helps nails grow
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    zywiec is a beer, I know that...french tip, though, eeenteresting!

Nie mówię po polsku :happy:

awesome! I didn't learn polish, lol, one of the reasons we broke up according to her
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a single polish that doesn't chip after a few days. It doesn't matter how much I spend on it. Even if I go to a salon and get a manicure, 3 days max! I got a shellac mani to see if it was really as good as all the hype. It is! I then went to Sally's and bought the Gelish system. It's basically the same as Shellac but I can do it myself at home. After my fourth mani that I did myself, it's more than paid for itself. I also found at Meijer (midwest store like Walmart) Red Carpet. They also have it at Ulta. It's a bit less expensive then Gelish but it's the same system. It absolutely lasts for 2 weeks or more and I only need to change it because of growth.

Do you have to use the special UV light for drying?

Yea :( But you can get those cheap off of ebay or amazon. You really shouldn't pay no more than 30.00 for a light!
    This.

I have an LED light just because I've heard that women are developing skin cancer on their hands from the UV lights used at salons. But even if you go with a UV light, you don't have your hands under it nearly as long as you do at the end of a manicure. It's usually 2 min per coat or so. I got an LED light at Sally's for $50. Plus the LED light is quicker. 20 seconds for the base coat and 45 seconds for each of the remaining coats which consists of 2 coats of color then the top coat.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I've found that I've always had this issue as well until I started using OPI base coat. Saves a lot of misery so now I wear polish all the time. I use Sephora's OPI brand of nail polish. $4 a bottle.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    zywiec is a beer, I know that...french tip, though, eeenteresting!

Nie mówię po polsku :happy:

nice! you got all the vowel accessories!

i am excited - i just got some essie on sale: bobbing for baubles - kind of color like if you added battleship grey to prussian blue. totally matte.

i am a total cheapskate, but the opi and essie products are worth a leetle extra! :laugh:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Essie is fabulous. It's $8 or so for a bottle but I don't think that's outrageous. It's way cheaper than a manicure.

Agreed. I've never had a manicure, can't imagine spending thirty or more bucks on one nail polish, but I have no problem buying Essie or OPI because it works great. Are you doing two coats originally and then clear coat?
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    i just got a gel manicure yesterday - looks awesome, supposedly will last for 5 weeks. mine cost $30. as far as regular polish, i like to put a top coat of Sally Hansen hard as nails over my color. keeps it from chipping/helps nails grow

OMGoodness! 5 weeks? It would be half grown out by then on me. :laugh:
  • Nisa22
    Nisa22 Posts: 3
    Options
    Totally agree with you. Cosmetologist here (waves) That is the best thing to do and use. :happy: