"calorie counting will get you no where"

Options

Replies

• thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

No I think the people who reject my differing opinion are acting like bullies. I've been called a troll multiple times even though I can prove I'm not a troll. Just someone with an opposing view that doesn't fit the norm. Don't participate in *controversial* threads if you want one-sided views.

Um, yeah, well, it's been real fun talking to a brick wall for 20 minutes, but I gotta go work out now---PEACE!!
  • gingerpudding
    Options
    IN RESPONSE TO MARIE ON PAGE 1
    I agree with 'slice 1', I only just joined this site a few minutes ago because I'm interested in the 'science' of losing weight, I've never kept a food diary, and I thought it might be interesting to do so.

However, if you feel like you are struggling, perhaps you need to change perspective. If you live a healthy lifestyle, a leaner body, a happier heart and a more contented mind will follow.

Making a committed and long term change to your lifestyle can seem overwhelming.

Try not to put yourself under so much pressure.

There are many different ways that people approach their goal of weight loss.

Eat sensibly, vegetables, pulses, lean meat, fish, fruit, wholegrain bread and cereals, semi skimmed milk, drink plenty of water, cut out all fried foods, cakes, sugary drinks, crisps, take aways and general crap.

Find an exercise that you enjoy. Difficult, I know. I hate the gym, and I'm rubbish at exercising on my own. I walk most places, always take the stairs, and go to fitness classes at the local gym whenever I can fit them in - zumba, spin, step. Some I prefer to others but I haven't paid a monthly fee and I'm not committed to something I don't enjoy. I can't go the same days each week, but I go as much as I can - this makes it more interesting for me. Also, they have a great sauna which is a real treat afterwards and an incentive to go.

Body brushing also helps to eliminate toxins from your body and increase circulation, it's great for the appearance of your skin, tone and general health.

All of these little things help.

I don't mean to sound patronising - obviously you've been working really hard.

However, you said you were defeated. I just wanted to share my experience with you in the hope that you can take something from it that will help.

I wanted to look like elle mcpherson in a week. Of course that never happened. However over the course of 3 months I did lose 21 lbs, and improve my general health. Now eating healthy and exercising is just normal and doesn't seem so much of a struggle.

You have the power to change your lifestyle habits for the better. Let the calorie counting go, it's obviously stressing you out.

Just eat healthy food and exercise as much as you can - even if it's brisk walking - it all helps. If I can do it you can too.

I really hope you get to where you want to be and wish you all the best.
  • TheYankeeBelle
    Options
    to the OP...
    tell that to the 49 lbs I've gotten rid of in the past 5 months.

Get a new roommate instead of that toxic, hateful *****.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the tough love but YOU ARE TRIPPIN! You don't workout on a consistent basis and likely don't eat right on a consistent basis. Calorie counting will get you now where when you are not doing it correctly or half a--ing it! Obviously it does work or this site would not exist nor would you see all the success stories posted each day. Get off the pity bandwagon and get on track and make it happen. You can do this but you have to make a personal commitment. You obviously care or you would not have went through the trouble of getting on this site much less posting this forum. I would be happy to support you in this journey but you have to make the personal commitment and stick to it. Breaking down because someone made a comment and letting it derail you is a defeatist attitude. You are better than that.
  • msarazine
    msarazine Posts: 65
    Options
    I've done exactly this. Only seeing the calories written down on paper made me realize how many I was consuming. It was staggering! Nearly 4000 a day at a desk job, not good. Cut it back to 1500 and in roughly 2 months have lost more than 20 lbs with MINIMAL exercise. I would like to start incorporating more exercise into my days in the near future. I've got to believe that it works, because it has.
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have been lurking for awhile now. I am "coming out" to defend the two posters who are getting bashed. Yes, their approach was not the best.

It is not difficult physically to lose weight on a calorie deficit. I don't think anyone is arguing that.

It IS very, very difficult to MAINTAIN the weight loss for an extended period of time. I believe that is where the "95% of people fail" argument is coming from.

Is it possible to both lose weight and maintain that loss? Of course. But it takes A LOT of work. You have to be dedicated to watching what you eat and exercise for the rest of your life. That means you might have to count calories for a very long time.

Here is a link to a very interesting NYtimes article that highlights how difficult it is to maintain weight loss-

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?pagewanted=all

This is from a different website and I believe where the "95%" figure comes in (obviously the research needs to be updated if that number is coming from a 1959 study!)-

"Consumers are not the only ones who believe diets are doomed to failure; many health professionals and researchers cite the statistic that 95% of diets fail. The American Obesity Association (AOA) attributes this oft-cited statistic to Albert Stunkard of the University of Pennsylvania and a director emeritus of the AOA. Stun-kard put forth the 95% failure rate in an account of research he performed in 1959, which involved advising 100 overweight patients to diet, with no follow-up or support to increase their adherence to the diet. "

Read more: Diet and Myths Weight-Loss Lore and Controversies - Why Diets Fail - Term, Obesity, People, and Maintenance http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/2749/Diet-Weight-Loss-Lore-Myths-Controversies-WHY-DIETS-FAIL.html#ixzz1qQx3oKi0

I do have to disagree with Grinch031 dismissing the phsycological componant to weight loss/weight gain. Whether or not that component is related to hormone levels and foods effect I have no idea, but I do think that emotional eating needs to be addressed and worked through.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,922 Member
    Options
    If a 95% failure rate is any evidence, then counting calories doesn't work.

So if you aren't counting calories, why are you on MFP where the biggest thing is logging food and keeping track of calories, among other things.

It may say swiss milk on the side of the bus, as in advertising, but the bus doesn't necessarily go to Switzerland. j/k

I'm here to get fitter, and to share my imput and knowledge about nutrition and weight loss with others even at the expense of not being popular with some of my statements, this thread obviously one of them. My point is and always will be that until someone makes fundamental changes in their overall attitute to food, exercise, stress etc, that simply by counting calories almost all will not find longterm weight loss or health. That 95% failure rate isn't something I pulled out of a hat, it's reality. I'm not saying it won't work, but chances are it won't.

Ok then, put that way it makes more sense, lol.
    Hey, that's ok. I understand it's difficult for people to lose weight and not count calories, it sounds logical. The dieting business is something that has a life of it's own and it's very hard to peel back all the hype and misinformation and try and gain more understanding about ourselves, and the lifestyle we lead that has contributed to weight gain as opposed to the quick calorie fix that generally isn't sustainable for a life long approach.

When I was at my heaviest, 255, it was a slow progression that got me there. To make a long story short, I switched from a disappointing calorie counting era to one where I engaged in a more active lifestyle, included year round hockey and got back to mountain biking, both of which I grew up with but stopped when life, raising a family got in the way, and i started weight training fairly seriously as well. I also decided to get away from my normal eating out far too many meals. I'm 183 or so now, and I have to remind myself to eat once in a while....lol.
  • Carendalynn
    Carendalynn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You have to be ready to make a lifestyle change. I tried dieting, special shakes, eating healthier only to crave the chocolate, the cookies, the cake, the everything bad for you foods. It took me seeing a friend that simply cut her food in half and losing 85 pounds in 18 months while simply starting out walking to instead of stopping cold turkey eating everything that I loved, I just started eating less of it, while counting my calories on MFP, I still enjoy the foods I have always enjoyed, i just eat less of them. I have learned to ask for nutrional guides at restraunts, they all most always have them available if you ask, this will help you to see the calories and either eat half of what you order, or help you to order something with less calories. and always be honest with yourself and MFP, if you go over, it is okay, just jump back on tomorrow. It is better to fall off the wagon for one day, than for always. Watching your calories is simply making a lifestyle change, and having your calories staring back at you on MFP will help you to think, "do I really want that, am I really hungry, is this really worth messing up my prgress" some days it will be okay if that answer is yes, as long as most days, that answer is "no, what I really need is another glass of water" :) The other thing I have learned, is stop worrying about what the scales says, I think inches lost and energy is a lot more powerful, and I also believe that moving, all the time, even the little moves, helps! Do pushups against your counter while waiting for your shower to warm up, push up on your toes while you are rinsing your hair, take two steps at a time instead of one every time you go up your stairs or any stairs, take the stairs instead of the elevator, park further away from the door of the store. KEEP MOVING and keep positive! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!! Eventually your goals will go from what you should be eating, to how you can push yourself harder while moving, weather is it moving harder during an actual workout, or moving harder throughout normal day activities. Good luck!!!
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    says my 100 pound roommate. I snapped back at her. I couldn't help it, I got defensive. That comment alone was enough to shut down my entire day, and I'm convinced it was the reason I wandered up to the counter at panera and ordered a brownie without even thinking about what I was doing. I've been doing MFP for a while and I've seen little to no results. Half of it is that I can't seem to disconnect the emotional connection I have to food. Also, working out every day almost never happens. However, even weeks when I manage it somehow and eat right, the numbers barely go down and if they do, they go right back up again. Is it true.. will calorie counting really get me no where? I dont know. feeling defeated.
    "100 pound roommate" was enough for me not to respect her opinion. :indifferent:
  • shelleylynnb
    Options
    I was reading the other day on Denise Austin's website where someone asked her if the best way to lose weight was by cutting carbs or cutting fat. She worked with Jack LaLane, who was talking about health, fitness and exercise in the 1950s and he lived to over 96 years old. She also looks pretty damn good for a woman in her 50s. Anyway, she said neither. She says the best way to lose weight is to eat healthy, drink at least 8 cups os water each day, count calories and add physical activity such as walking. I walk 20 minutes per day - 10 minutes to work and 10 minutes back home. I snack all day but I count the calories and walk and I've lost 23 pounds since January 3. That's it. here are some days I do go over but I don't beat myself up over it. I just start new the next day. And, believe me, I love food. So, now instead of cookies, I get a 100 calorie pack of Emerald nuts - cinnamon roast and cocoa roast are the BEST! I count every single thing I put in my mouth, down to a stick of gum. It takes a lot of commitment and discipline and change but when you put on a pair of pants that were tight and are suddenly baggy, plus getting compliments from friends, family, and co-workers on how good I look lately, feels better than any slice of chocolate cherry cheesecake. At least to me it does. I wish everyonegood luck and success in finding what works best for them to lose weight and get healthy.
  • icericcy
    icericcy Posts: 4
    Options
    if your calorie intake has been over what the accepted norm would be (2000 for woman, 2500 for men) Lowering this intake by 300-500 already will get you started in loosing weight, it however has a Limit. At some point your body will get used to the lower Intake of food and thats where progress halts.

This is were will power comes in and a good healthy dose of excersize. Go on a walk at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes, enjoy nature or let the dog out several times a day. Eath healthy and it will go off and stay off.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

No I think the people who reject my differing opinion are acting like bullies. I've been called a troll multiple times even though I can prove I'm not a troll. Just someone with an opposing view that doesn't fit the norm. Don't participate in *controversial* threads if you want one-sided views.

Grinch - I think the problem is that while you are trying to add to the conversation with some points that may be very good, but you are doing so in a way that reads like you are being contrary when in fact, you are trying to add to the conversation. You drop a 5 second sound byte "one-liner" on us then never develop your thoughts or where you are going with it until you seem like you are needing to defend yourself. Add a couple sentences to the one-liners and I think it will be better off for all.

Just my $.02
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Grinch - I think the problem is that while you are trying to add to the conversation with some points that may be very good, but you are doing so in a way that reads like you are being contrary when in fact, you are trying to add to the conversation. You drop a 5 second sound byte "one-liner" on us then never develop your thoughts or where you are going with it until you seem like you are needing to defend yourself. Add a couple sentences to the one-liners and I think it will be better off for all.

Just my $.02

I have no idea what you are talking about. Show me an example of where I went wrong. People saw my differing opinion as a threat to their own belief systems, and immediately started attacking my character as a poster instead of my actual arguments. I have little understanding of exactly what arguments people thought were invalid, which is why I think its more constructive to actually single out arguments you disagree with instead of resorting to personal attacks. But if people aren't going to challenge my arguments with counter-arguments, I don't really have much more to say in this thread. I'm sure most prefer it that way.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Show me an example of where I went wrong. People saw my differing opinion as a threat to their own belief systems, and immediately started attacking my character as a poster instead of my actual arguments. I have little understanding of exactly what arguments people thought were invalid, which is why I think its more constructive to actually single out arguments you disagree with instead of resorting to personal attacks. But if people aren't going to challenge my arguments with counter-arguments, I don't really have much more to say in this thread. I'm sure most prefer it that way.

You're not making any arguments, that's the problem. You're saying that calorie counting is useless, and then giving facts that have nothing to do with that claim. What your "arguments" are really saying is that calorie counting ALONE is not enough, and in that, you would be absolutely right.

That's also very different from telling people to stop counting calories at all, which is the message you and nean seem to be trying to deliver.
  • grinch031
    Options

You're not making any arguments, that's the problem. You're saying that calorie counting is useless, and then giving facts that have nothing to do with that claim. What your "arguments" are really saying is that calorie counting ALONE is not enough, and in that, you would be absolutely right.

That's also very different from telling people to stop counting calories at all, which is the message you and nean seem to be trying to deliver.

I'd like to see where I said "calorie counting is useless" or even implied that. You seemed to have ignored the majority of my posts in this thread and/or confused them with somebody else. If you can't comprehend my posts, then that isn't my problem.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

I have no idea what you are talking about. Show me an example of where I went wrong.

Then we clearly have no need to continue this discussion as you replied to a couple of my posts with your "one-liners" that were not developed as to your thoughts. Too bad, I gave you more credit.
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options
    says my 100 pound roommate. I snapped back at her. I couldn't help it, I got defensive. That comment alone was enough to shut down my entire day, and I'm convinced it was the reason I wandered up to the counter at panera and ordered a brownie without even thinking about what I was doing. I've been doing MFP for a while and I've seen little to no results. Half of it is that I can't seem to disconnect the emotional connection I have to food. Also, working out every day almost never happens. However, even weeks when I manage it somehow and eat right, the numbers barely go down and if they do, they go right back up again. Is it true.. will calorie counting really get me no where? I dont know. feeling defeated.

I can absolutely relate to this. Knowing is half the battle because you know where u are failing. This won't change overnight. It takes time and you are selling yourself way too short. First of all, the not working out will most definitely defeat you if you are not eating right. Disconnecting emotionally from food will take time but exercising will help through that process, there is a change in the brain that is unexplainable. Find something you enjoy doing; pole dancing, weight lifting, long distance running, zumba, insanity, p90x etc etc there is so much to do. If you do 15 mins of heart pumping stuff thats 15 min more than you had done before. I like to break it down to a science get you a food scale from walmart and a heart rate monitor from target (new balance N4 for 56 bucks) and use these tool in conjunction with mfp. You can do it! You have to structure your life around this stuff, it is not a diet and will take months but the payoff is unbelievable. I have barely lost 15 pounds in 2 years but my body shape has completely changed!! Set your grocery list up and set up a workout schedule and stop feeling sorry for yourself. Only you can change this and we are all here to support and educate you on any and everything you need to know. :)
  • grinch031
    Options

I have no idea what you are talking about. Show me an example of where I went wrong.

Then we clearly have no need to continue this discussion as you replied to a couple of my posts with your "one-liners" that were not developed as to your thoughts. Too bad, I gave you more credit.

Now I know without a doubt you are confusing me with someone else.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    If you find the current goals you have set for yourself aren't working, change it up. I just recently lowered my carbs to 40 and increased fat and protein to 30 and have seen some results.