Why raising your calories helps in weight loss

Options
I've been reading a lot of posts about people finding weight loss success by raising their calories and I know it does seem kind of off that it works. But there actually is a physiological reason behind this phenomenon.

While we as a species have come a long way on the evolutionary ladder, our brains and bodies can still be somewhat primitive. We are hardwired to equate low calorie intake to faminie and unavailability of food. This triggers our brains to tell our bodies to store as much food as it can as fat to be used to fuel the body in case the food supply becomes completely depleted.

The key, I think, to successful weight loss, based on those facts, is to find out one way or another what the optimum amount of calories is for you and stick with that. None of our bodies are exactly alike, so why should our weight loss journey be exactly alike? They shouldn't. What works for me, may not work for anyone else and vice versa. The main focus is doing what you need to do with you and not letting anyone bring you down. :smile:

Replies

• wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Good explanation, and yes, it seems to work for many people, especially those who exercise and don't think about those extra calories they burn.
    43154 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Very true that.

I am eating more than before i started BUT they are clean/good calories rather thank bad/junk calories.

Chris.
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    Good explanation, and yes, it seems to work for many people, especially those who exercise and don't think about those extra calories they burn.

You are so right. This was me.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at the amount of calories I can eat in a day and still maintain (or when I was losing, lose weight) my weight. It's crazy to me - as I grew up with the whole "diet" mindset. You have to starve yourself or you have to give up EVERYTHING you love if you want to lose weight. Eating to lose is a hard thing to accept and to do, but once you do it and see success? You want to shout it from the rooftops. :)

Oh and I should mention - I workout, I count the calories and I eat back every last one of them too. :)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Thats a good explanation. I always say feed your muscles.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Very true that.

I am eating more than before i started BUT they are clean/good calories rather thank bad/junk calories.

Chris.

Yeah, just logging and being aware of how the calories and macro-nutritions add up is an eye-opener. Helps with pre-planning too. Letting us decide how to spread out the calories over the day instead of letting the breakroom muffin/donut throw off the whole day.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Nuff said........
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options
    bump
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I think people would do well to realize that the amount of calories needed for weight loss is a moving target.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Well said. This journey is based on individual experience coupled with trial and error. As I have progressed my calorie intake has been raised 3-4 times as my needs have changed along the way. What seemed an unthinkable amount for me to consume in the beginning is now the norm. Bottom line is to eat the best you can (all calories are not created equal) and to workout/train on a consistent basis. To do one without the other is to sabotage this journey and waste precious time. There are so many preachers on this website telling people how to live and what to do or your soul will be damned. Last time I checked there was no pulpit on this site. Take all advice with a grain of salt and do what works best for you in attaining your personal goals.
  • Danube73
    Danube73 Posts: 7
    Options
    I think people would do well to realize that the amount of calories needed for weight loss is a moving target.

This is outstanding!
  • deedog007
    deedog007 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I ve always wondered about this .. thanks for the explanation..

:bigsmile:
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I like the analogy I heard on an earlier post about this (think it was from helloitsdan?) Would you take a nice car and drive it from Seattle to New York on 1/4 tank of gas? NO! We need FUEL too!

I've just started eating more calories and feel SO MUCH BETTER...too early to tell on the scale yet, but I "feel" leaner if that's possible!
  • vernessie
    vernessie Posts: 47
    Options
    AMEN!!! - That is true, "what may work for one person, may not work for another". This journey should be viewed as a "lifestyle change".
  • mandi108
    mandi108 Posts: 16
    Options
    Bad calories vs. good calories is most definitely another major factor in this. You can't say "Oh I just raised my calories this week. I can have a candy bar". Make sure you fill the extra calories with good, healthy foods, or you will do more harm than good. And also remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you see an increase or a plateau in your weight, start looking at your measurements. You may still be getting leaner and the weight may be coming from muscle gain not necessarily weight gain! Good luck everyone!