Outing to a chinese restaurant

Options
hey...i kno this may be silly but im fussy bout my calories intakin like you guys! We are goin out to a chinese restaurant tomorrow for lunch and im wonderin if they have any "bad" empty calories foods i shall avoid...it seems to me that they make mostly healthy foods like rice and chicken or beef...etc...but what about the gravy or sauces...are they full of BAD calories? SHall i ask for dry chicken pieces or vegetables which are cooked alone....?? Thanks :)

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Watch out for MSG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i say stay away from carbs, and fried and stick to lean meats and the sauces won't kill ya. so...chicken stir fry, shrimp stir fry, maybe a lil beef and broccoli, CHICKEN or SHRIMP MOO SHU is the bestt, chicken teriyaki...
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    it seems to me that they make mostly healthy foods like rice and chicken or beef...etc...

"it seems" being the operative word lol
    all those chicken, beef and veggies are fried, deep fried and/or cooked somehow in some sort of oil, even all the veg dishes and noodles etc.... and the sodium/msg will cause you to bloat so don't be surprised if you're up in weight tomorrow, drink A LOT of water.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    A lot of the sauces are where the calories come from. They tend to be high in sodium too. I will typically get steamed vegies, plain rice and chicken (or sometimes beef, but it tends to be fatty). Sauce on the side.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Check this out that I found on ivillage Never Say Diet. Lists the words and terms to look for when eating Chinese food out.

http://www.neversaydiet.com/article/chinese-cuisine-choose
  • HeatherD
    HeatherD Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the SALT and anything with a lot of sauce! I had DELISCIOUS chinese food last week, and THEN I counted calories...over 900 in one meal...ee-ouch! You are very smart to plan ahead!

have a great lunch!:flowerforyou: