I don't understand the target zone for heart rate

Options
I got a new heart rate monitor, the FT4, a few weeks ago. I entered in my information so when I start it up, it tells me that my "zone" is from 118-154. I'm guessing the closer I am to the 154 end, the more calories I'm burning and vice versa. What happens when I go above that? Is it harmful?

I walked today for an hour and kept it at an average of 150 the whole time. I burned 400 calories. If this, according to the hrm, is supposed to be the max, how will I ever burn more than 400 calories an hour? How do other people (safely) do it?

Should I re-set the hrm somehow? How? What numbers should I use?

Thanks for any help clearing this up. Have a great day!

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Just ignore the zone thing; there is little to no truth to it.

Instead, work out at a pace that is challenging but comfortable enough that you can complete the time you set out to exercise. Eventually you may want to add some intervals where you work out very hard for a period of time, then have a brief recovery period before you increase intensity again.
  • heggleston921
    heggleston921 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    so, it will still accurately count my calories burned if i "go over"?
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Ive heard that you subtract your age from 220. So being that I am 35 my Max heartrate should be 185. When I am running I am usually in the high 160's-170's. Towards the end of my runs or when I am sprinting my heartrate goes to the 180's and I have even touched 190 a time or two and have never keeled over.