GYM questions, 1,2,3 ANSWER :)

Options
So when is the best time to go to the gym? I usually go around 4 in the afternoon but Im thinking about changing it up to 6:30 in the morning. Any ideas?

Replies

• desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have gone a lot of different times. I actually do a better workout in the afternoon (after 4pm but finishing by 6:30p). I do work out a couple mornings each week as early at 6:30 am. It's ok but I am a lot warmer after 9a! Hah!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    afternoon works better for me for a couple of reasons.

I'm not tired.
    I have food in my body.
    I've been up and moving around so I'm not tight.

On saturday's I lift around 11 or so, but I make sure to eat a good breakfast and move around first.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i started at 4pm, but switched to 7am. It works best with my family's schedule (getting 3 kids to 3 schools) and I have more energy during the day if I work out first thing.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    I go at 6am because my hubby has not left for work yet and the kids are still asleep. It is hard to get out of bed sometimes but it really helps me to get my day going!
  • secoke
    secoke Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. When I go into work at my part-time job I go straight after work (5pm), the other half of the week when I volunteer it depends if there is a spin class I can make it to, I'll do whatever I can to do that and not have to run on the treadmill. On the weekend I usually go early in the morning otherwise there are too many people!
  • conejita78
    Options
    I go after Work...Start @ 6:15pm and stay until maybe 8:30 at least 3x a week. The evenings work best for me because it gives me that extra push to keep going. Saturday Mornings also work because it keeps me energized through the day.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    best time to go is when you can make the time to go - i joined anytime fitness for that reason - theyre open 24/7 and i can go at midnight if i want. lol
    usually i go around 9-10 pm
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    1-3 in the afternoon is my favorite time to go. A lot of people cannot go at that time, which is why I love it.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I go right after work. It helps work off the stress and frustrations of the day
  • fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    6:45 am it starts my day off right! If I have a stressful day I will plug in a treadmill workout at home after work too.
  • jodyl70
    jodyl70 Posts: 94
    Options
    I am up at 4:15am and at the gym for 4:45am.

I love it as there are only 3 - 4 other regulars and I get to hog all the free weights in the weight room!

:laugh:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Best time is when your motivation is highest - I drop the kids off at school and go right after, around 7:30, as it is on my way. There have been times where I am not feeling it so go home with the intention of going later on and it never happens. So I just make sure I go Mon - Fri right after I drop them off. Once you're there you feel like, well, I'm here might as well work out!
  • ferrahcn
    ferrahcn Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm not a morning person.. but I have went at 5:30 am several times (less people there) - but I prefer to work out after work - which I usually get to the gym around 6:40 pm. Works out all the stress of the day - but then I don't eat until around 9/ 9:30.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love my morning workouts and my day seems to go better if I can get them in...
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Whenever works for you so that you consistently go and get it done- that is the best time. :wink:
  • Claible
    Claible Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    between 3 and 5 pm. I get up at 4:30 am so before work is not an option. Also working out in the afternoon gives me that extra energy boost to keep me going for the rest of my afternoon and evening.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:00 a.m. to get hubby off to work, so at the gym by 5:00 a.m. It's a very small, neighborhood gym, so most mornings, I have the whole place to myself. :happy:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I workout at 8:00 pm – after work. I agree that your body is very tight in the am so you are more injury prone, be careful. I work out at least 1h after dinner to digest and have a protein shake <200 cals afterwards. *Currently I am doing Insanity + walking 45+ min on lunch so I’m not at my gym, I'm at home/work. I love this time b/c its when I am most prone to snacking so it keeps me busy.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    personally, i like to go around 8 or 9, that's when the people with families and lives aren't there, more time and space for me to do my thing, and no trainers/trainees for me to accidentally kick or trip over
  • barbie1000
    barbie1000 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like to start early am; it seems i get a lot more accomplished during the day if I do that. I have gone in the afternoon too, but prefer mornings. I think it really depends on your schedule and what works for you. I'm not too sure if it really matters, some may disagree, but as long as you have a good work, what the heck!