How do I input my jump rope workout?

Options
I'm following a workout app on my phone that has you do 2 minutes of stretching, and then 5 minutes of alternating between 30 seconds of marching in place and 30 seconds of jumping rope. I'm pretty sure that the purpose of the marching in place is to keep your heart rate up in between bursts of jumping rope. So how do I put it in?

* 5 minutes of jumping rope?
* 2.5 minutes of jumping rope and 2.5 minutes of marching in place?
* 5 sets of jumping rope for 30 seconds and 5 sets of marching in place for 30 seconds?

I'm concerned that if I do the first, it will be too many calories burned, but either of the latter might be too few because I doubt that regular marching in place is as intensive as doing so between bursts of jumping rope.

Also, I'm using a 1.5 pound weighted rope, and that's not in the database here. How do I figure out how many more calories that would be than jumping with a regular rope?

Replies

• stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know answers to any of your questions but THAT IS REALLY AWESOME!! I'm so impressed.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    The database has three different levels of jumping rope (fast, moderate, and slow) and an entry for "running (jogging) in place." The calories for slow jumping rope and running in place are the same. I would either all the time as slow jumping rope, or if you want a few more calories, log half as running in place and half as fast or moderate jumping rope. Either way, it's just an estimate . . . as are all the food and exercise diary entries.

I don't know what the impact of the heavier rope is.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Also, you might use a heart monitor to see how many calories you are actually using. I don't use one personally, but I'm sure people will soon appear saying they are the greatest thing evah!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know answers to any of your questions but THAT IS REALLY AWESOME!! I'm so impressed.

Thanks for the support! I'm just starting out, and it doesn't feel like much so far, so I really appreciate your encouragement! :)
    Also, you might use a heart monitor to see how many calories you are actually using. I don't use one personally, but I'm sure people will soon appear saying they are the greatest thing evah!

I might look into that! I didn't know that's what heart monitors were for. I also like your other suggestions, so thanks!
  • TheJustPull
    Options
    Not sure about how to enter it, but can I ask what app your using?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty common way to jump rope. It's basically using HIIT principles. I usually do 45 secs of continuous jumping and 15 secs of rest for 24 mins. My heart rate stays up for the entire workout so I enter it for 24 mins at fast rope jumping (jumping 130-160 jumps per minute). Depending on your rep speed and doing 30/30 you may want to use moderate or maybe even slow. But keep in mind that the marching in place for the back half of the minute will keep your heart rate from coming all the way back down. But like with anything, use your common sense and adjust your calories accordingly.
  • michelleepotter
    Options
    Not sure about how to enter it, but can I ask what app your using?

It's called Jump Rope! Fitness by Abent Apps, and it's in the Android app market. I do not know if there is a comparable iPhone app. It's a pretty cool little app! You put in how long you want to work out, whether you want a warm up, and choose from Beginner, Normal, or Intense levels. If you chose to have a warm up, it leads you through a series of stretches that takes about 2.5 minutes. Then it has you alternate between marching in place and jumping rope, blowing a whistle every time you switch so you don't have to keep an eye on your phone.

I haven't tried the Normal and Intense levels, but I think it involves different types of jumping, like one foot at a time, or stepping sideways, etc. The Beginner level is just simple jumping with both feet together.

ETA: I'm playing with the app now, and it looks like, in addition to different types of jumping, the Intense level also makes you jump 40 seconds and march for 20.
  • michelleepotter
    Options
    This is a pretty common way to jump rope. It's basically using HIIT principles. I usually do 45 secs of continuous jumping and 15 secs of rest for 24 mins. My heart rate stays up for the entire workout so I enter it for 24 mins at fast rope jumping (jumping 130-160 jumps per minute). Depending on your rep speed and doing 30/30 you may want to use moderate or maybe even slow. But keep in mind that the marching in place for the back half of the minute will keep your heart rate from coming all the way back down. But like with anything, use your common sense and adjust your calories accordingly.

I usually jump 60 jumps per minute. Would you call that slow, or moderate?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    That's about where most people begin and for inputting on MFP I would use the slow calculation.

Thanks for the heads up on the Jump Rope app. I usually just use my HIIT timer app but I'll check out Jump Rope on days I want to mix in something different. Funny that when I wanted a spinning app I went straight to the android market but it never even crossed my mind to look for a jumping app.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Same question- what is slow, moderate or fast? In terms if jumps per term, that is. Or does it depend on your heart rate?