exercise motivation!!!!

Options
I usually work out three times during the week in the gym, but I always feel discouraged when my boyfriend doesn't go. At first we would go together, but now I go by myself I'm feeling so discouraged. I started my dieting a week ago, and I started working out in January. Can someone help me!!! I need the motivation!! :sad:

Replies

• outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My husband doesnt go. Just do it for you. It took me a minute to get over the "fear" of going in the gym alone, but once you go a few times...it's all good. No one cares that you are there, but you. Just go!
  • ericagee2011
    Options
    Thank you! I will try my best to get over the fact I go alone.
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You've got to do it for you any nobody else! I occasioanly get my s/o to go for a walk with me but other than that I do my fitness on my own or with girl friends. Being healthy sometimes has to be a selfish thing making it soley about you and your needs.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Me and my BF try to go together, but sometimes we need to go alone. It's just a matter of making yourself do it. I have a friend who sometimes goes with me, but not often. Plus, we use different equipment anyway, so I always workout alone. :wink:
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I look at my exercise time as my "ME" time. I get to do what I want for exercise and I get to listen to what ever music on my iPod (or listen to the bird tweet outside while a run) and I get to zone out or work out my thoughts. I focus on how good I feel afterwords. I now find going to the gym/work out to be very therapuetic.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    by calling what you are doing dieting, you are already setting yourself up for failure. You have to change the way you eat or you will most likely go back to the way that wasn't working for you before. You have to include exercise in this, if the gym is not exciting to you, try another type of exercise that you can stick with. You have to be active and eat right for life, or you will always find yourself back in the same place.
  • stew774
    stew774 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me it's the getting there. Once I'm there I'm so happy I went. I plug myself into some music and do my thing.
    Can you identify what is preventing you from going? Is it that you want company? Do you know someone that can be a workout buddy?
    For me, once I get in the habit of going, things seem to run smoothly for me - I actually look forward to some me time and by the time I"m done I feel so good that I did it!

Also, are you a morning exerciser or an afternoon exerciser? For me - I need to get it over with. If I wait too long in the day it gets easier for me to find excuses or have things come up with the kids that might prevent me from getting to the gym.

I"m not sure if this is helpful....
  • ericagee2011
    Options
    Thank you, guys for the comments.
  • ericagee2011
    Options
    I feel uncomfortable, so I just want someone to accompany me to the gym.
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My husband would never go to the gym. I have always gone alone. It was a little difficult at first but once you have been going for a few weeks, it becomes habit! Do this for yourself..Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend for support!

Cris
  • ericagee2011
    Options
    My husband would never go to the gym. I have always gone alone. It was a little difficult at first but once you have been going for a few weeks, it becomes habit! Do this for yourself..Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend for support!

Cris

Thank you!
  • soonernick
    soonernick Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "me time" idea. I go with my Fiancee sometimes and sometimes not. Either way I have my music going and I'm on my own little island. Working out is for YOUR health, not anybody else.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options

I hear you! But you know what? Most people would take one look at you and think "wow, wish I had her courage." Or they won't even notice at all because they are so tied up in their own world. I know it's hard to go on your own, and you don't know how to do much of anything, and you just want someone there you are comfortable with. But we can't always be comfortable. There is something to getting outside your comfort zone! It's a new perspective on things. As I said before, just do it! You CAN do this!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Join fitness classes at the gym.
    You'll meet new friends and they will be your motivation.
  • ericagee2011
    Options

I hear you! But you know what? Most people would take one look at you and think "wow, wish I had her courage." Or they won't even notice at all because they are so tied up in their own world. I know it's hard to go on your own, and you don't know how to do much of anything, and you just want someone there you are comfortable with. But we can't always be comfortable. There is something to getting outside your comfort zone! It's a new perspective on things. As I said before, just do it! You CAN do this!

Thank you so much! This is true, I should get over my comfort zone and go to the gym! Once I start losing, I know I won't feel uncomfortable. Thank you once again!
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I always try to remember how good I feel AFTER working out. As hard as it is to drag myself to my workout, I have to think of the sweat afterwards, the shaking legs and arms, and that feeling of HELL YES!! Another day down :D

Keep it up girl.