Plateau Help

Options
Hey,

I've been slowly losing weight for a few years but just recently i realized I've got a pattern. I lose 10lbs then I have a three month (give or take) plateau. I'm getting really tired of this three months of discouragement!

I think I've just entered another plateau but this time I want to do something about it. What are successful ways that you have rocked your body out of the plateau and back to burning up fat?

Replies

• mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Bump...
    Im in the same position, I have not lost anything in a few months now.
  • mellstein
    mellstein Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem...suggestions?
  • vivideloquence
    vivideloquence Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well, when no one replied I did a little searching and it looks like upping one's calories and maybe switching up the workouts should help so that's what I'm going to try!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Eat more...it should help.
  • btretiak
    btretiak Posts: 23
    Options
    You've got the right idea. Try upping your cals (but do it slowly) and switch up your excersize routing. That worked for me after my first plateau.
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau a couple month ago and found that upping my daily cardio workout helped and also varying what I did each week (swapping an elliptical for a short run on the treadmill, or throw in some weights with my cardio.) I am also eating up to an additional 100 cals per day and that seems to help too. In the end, you will have to do trial and error to see what works. But just try changing a thing or 2 at first and see if that helps. Good luck!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing this as well but too scared to try, isn't higher calories what got us here in the first place?
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i upped my calories by a few hundred and switched up my workout routine a bit! Worked like a charm! :flowerforyou:
  • only_5mom
    only_5mom Posts: 28
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs from the end of August until mid December doing a low carb diet then hit a wall. I was afraid to go to phase 2. Think I may not have been getting enough calories. I was rarely hungry. Still at the weight I was mid December now. Started MFP 10 days ago using automatic settings and started exercising regularly. Started out gaining 4 lbs and now I have lost that and hoping for this to kick start my metabolism and weight loss. Feeling so much better, but struggle to eat back my workout calories. Made whole grain oat muffins and home made granola today to give more fiber and good calories. We'll see where it takes me. Can't be worse than starving for 3 months and not losing!
  • vivideloquence
    vivideloquence Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Glad to know I'm headed the right direction with a few more calories and some different workouts!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs from the end of August until mid December doing a low carb diet then hit a wall. I was afraid to go to phase 2. Think I may not have been getting enough calories. I was rarely hungry. Still at the weight I was mid December now. Started MFP 10 days ago using automatic settings and started exercising regularly. Started out gaining 4 lbs and now I have lost that and hoping for this to kick start my metabolism and weight loss. Feeling so much better, but struggle to eat back my workout calories. Made whole grain oat muffins and home made granola today to give more fiber and good calories. We'll see where it takes me. Can't be worse than starving for 3 months and not losing!

You don't need to eat back your exercise calories. At least not all of them. I try to keep net (found on the home page right up there in the box with your pic and calorie info) around 400-500. This means that I exercise off 900 calories and then eat an extra 200-250. Really has been working like a charm.

As for plateaus, varying your routine and pushing yourself is very helpful in getting over the plateau. I would not cut back calories, but would eat some of the exercise calories back. Additionally, add weight lifting to your regimen. It builds muscle and muscle increases your metabolism which can help in losing weight.

Good luck!