Good 'non-bread' carbs?

Options
smccb
smccb Posts: 99 Member
My husband gets terrible heartburn if he eats too much bread (this includes pita, tortillas, etc.) I only buy whole grain or 12 grain, but even this seems to really bother him.

He is doing Insanity and needs the carbs to fuel the workouts. Any ideas out there? Simple is better - we have a busy lifestyle and not a lot of time for elaborate cooking.

Replies

• Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    sweet potatos!
  • smccb
    Options
    Thanks! I love sweet potatoes....my husband, however, is not a fan. Any other thoughts?
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I do spaghetti squash instead of pasta.. I do loads of fruits/veggies...
    How about sprouted bread like Ezekial?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    The old standby for endurance athletes before the advent of energy bars and gels was bananas.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Fruits like bananas and mangoes.
    Dairy
    potatoes
    pasta
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes
    Carrots
    Parnips
    Acorn Squash
    Beets
    Raisins
    Dates
    Banana
    Mango
    Pears
    Apple
    Pineapple
    Peach
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes (microwave them), yams, squash, fruit
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Gummi Bears
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting bread that contains no wheat, such as rice or oat bread? Or corn tortillas? Or serve brown rice, quinoa, oats or other non-wheat grains.

Other than grains, starchy vegetables and fruits are probably your best bets.
  • smccb
    Options
    These are all great ideas! Thank you so much!
  • hannanne
    hannanne Posts: 5
    Options
    I have a lap-band and can't eat pasta, potatoes or bread. I don't really watch carbs, but by default was not getting too many. I started having low blood sugar episodes and dizzy spells during running (not good on a treadmill LOL). If you drink a glass of cranberry or orange juice (or any flavor gatorade) mixed with a 1/2 scoop of vanilla designer whey powder (it'll mix easily with a spoon), it sustains you better during workouts than just extra carbs alone. I've also mixed red gatorade with chocolate DW which sound revolting but actually tastes great. ALL of these also really help with calf cramping (extra potassium). If you're not in a big hurry, a smoothy with some greek yogurt's probably even better--but I'm too lazy to bother with the blender generally.