Bought HRM... and it's going back

Options
Hey all,

So I bought my first HRM and it's a piece of crap, or at least this is my opinion. Bought it at Target for about $50, but you are unable to enter height/weight into it . Is this important? I'm currently pretty large at 242 and have been pretty sedentary up until last week. I think that for the most accurate reading, ht/wt should be put into the equation, correct?

It's a New Balance Fit- and I don't think I'm keeping it- any suggestions for a HRM that's good, but affordable?

Thanks!!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yeah i'd take it back. if you want to track things like your calories burned (even though it will still wont be 100% accurate), you definitely want to get an HRM with a chest strap and you can input your height and weight.

i have a polar ft60, but i'd recommend the polar f40. it's a bit cheaper than the one i have, has the main bells and whistles (tracks heart rate and calories and you can store workouts) and has a chest strap
  • Aryel168
    Aryel168 Posts: 126
    Options
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. What a waste of $50 on this thing. :(
  • JenIsFitish
    JenIsFitish Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a polar F6, I got it on Amazon, and it has been working great for 3 years now. Definitely need one with a chest strap.
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ditto the Polar F40. It is simple to use and gives everything you need to help you get into shape.
    I have found the best prices on-line at:
    http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/ft40-all.html
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    You should be able to pick up a Polar FT4 for around $70 from amazon or the FT7 (stores more workouts) for around $85 and they come with the chest strap.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    For $10 more you can the Polar FT4 from Bodytronics.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Yep.. Needs to go back. Target should take it back if it's not worn.. I know best buy took my Timex back when I returned mine.

Buy a Polar.. For that same 50 dollars you can get an FT4 on Amazon.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I got a NB HRM with a chest strap.
    If I could find the receipt & the box, I'd return it.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Polar, for the win.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Go for a polar.
    Its well worth the money.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options

this is what i did, and it shipped free!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

^^^ This. Love my Polar FT4.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The Polar F6 is great but I'd recommend getting one of the newer models that allows you to switch out the battery yourself like the FT4. I've heard of people getting pretty good deals on them if they shop around online or catch them on sale at their local sports shop.

ETA: That's what I get for being a slow poster - you already got your feedback about where to find the FT4 at a good price! :)
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 with chest strap.
  • Pokermom10
    Pokermom10 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a polar. I've had it for about 5 years. Had to change the batteries recently (huge pain in the butt), but the thing has been through the ringer and still works. :)
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    polar FT7 - $100+/- bucks on amazon or walmart.com.....
    includes chest strap and watch with are essential if you want to track calories burned and your actual heart rate...
    good luck,
    denise
  • Aryel168
    Aryel168 Posts: 126
    Options
    Well alrighty then!! Polar FT4 is a winner! LOL

I just bought the NB today- still have the box, and the receipt. Buh-bye to that waste of $$$$$$.

Thanks everyone! :)
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 with chest strap.

< this .... its what i use and wont leave home without it :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

So I bought my first HRM and it's a piece of crap, or at least this is my opinion. Bought it at Target for about $50, but you are unable to enter height/weight into it . Is this important? I'm currently pretty large at 242 and have been pretty sedentary up until last week. I think that for the most accurate reading, ht/wt should be put into the equation, correct?

It's a New Balance Fit- and I don't think I'm keeping it- any suggestions for a HRM that's good, but affordable?

Thanks!!

Is it just a watch or does it come with a chest-strap?
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Polar is a very good brand of HRM as many others have told you already. :)