Is this normal?

Options
I'm sure some people will get grumpy about this complaint, but I'm a little concerned.

I joined 2 weeks ago today, and I should be losing 1.9 pounds a week, according to the calculations made by MFP. Let me first say that I love this site and is an invaluble tool for me.

I have lost 10 lbs +. In 2 weeks. That seems a tad on the unhealthy side. I started at 185, and I actually weighed in at 173.8 this afternoon. I have gone slightly over my alotted calories a few times (my dad brews the most amazing Belgian beers, I couldn't help it!) and have been slightly under calories a few times. My workouts are sporadic, and my lifestyle is lightly active. On my days off I am fairly sedentary oftentimes, but I try to pepper them with moderate exercise.

Basically, my question is, do you think I should up my calorie intake, and by how much? My BMR is 1586, and my daily calorie usage is 2100something. I have over a 900 calorie deficit with my alotted 1200 calories. This seems pretty extreme. I know that the weight loss cannot possibly continue at this astronomical rate, and will plateau eventually, but perhaps in the interim I should increase my intake until I am losing at a more reasonable rate?

Thanks, any suggestions are very much appreciated!

251820.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Replies

• jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The first week or so you lose water weight

Just enjoy it cause it ain't going to last :smile:
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh on the same scale both times? Did you weigh in at the same time of the day? Or did you weigh yourself the first time after having eaten and drank, but the last time without? These variables can account for a lot. Also, did you have your TOM when you first weighed? If I weigh myself in the morning, before I eat or drink anything, my weight is sometimes 5 or more pounds different than after I've had 32 oz of water and food.

Weight is just one tool to measure fitness. Bodyfat % and measurements are better!!

All the best to you on your journey!
  • bwilton77
    bwilton77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This happened the first 2 weeks I was using this program then it drastically slowed. Your body is flushing the bad this out and once it's completed that it will regulate.I wouldnt worry unless it lasts for more than 3 weeks.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    the first couple weeks the weight comes off WAY easier. Enjoy it!
  • twilight1542
    Options
    the first couple weeks the weight comes off WAY easier. Enjoy it!

Soo true! I've lost 28lbs & around 20 of those pounds was during the first month. Don't stress! Your weight loss will slowdown.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned, you could always set your goal for 1 pound or 1/2 pound/week and see how that goes.
  • mommyofkailey
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me. Its already starting to slow down. I also questioned if i was eating enough. My friends assured me that everything was fine! good Luck!
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    I lost a ton in the beginning ... give it a good month before you panic. If you're feeling okay it's all good. My weight-loss has slowed down to 1.5 lbs a week now which is what I entered in the beginning. Enjoy this stage of the game ... it won't last.
  • laurajoyk
    laurajoyk Posts: 305
    Options
    I just started counting my calories again and have lost 7 lbs in the last 7 days....you tend to lose weight really fast in the beginning, but like they said enjoy it cause it won't last.
  • firegypsy
    Options
    I'm staying insanely well hydrated, so I don't think it is just water weight. Yes, it is the same scale everytime, and I'm always wearing the same thing (hospital scale and uniform). I've been weighing myself periodically throughout the day, before and after eating, going to the bathroom, etc, and I always record the highest number for the day.

After pondering it further, I think that the biggest factor is the dramatic change in diet and portions, because I went from over-eating every meal and constant snacking, probably around 33-3700 calories a day, to the 1200 calories.

Woefully, I realize that the weight loss will not continue at this rate for long, and should abate soon. It is actually leading me to consider changing my goal weight, which is a good thing. I was topping out just under 190, then sorta-kinda ate less and was at 185 when I stumbled upon MFP. My original goal was 165. Being just 10 pounds away from that makes me realize that I could lose several pounds more. I was trying to be "realistic" about what I could accomplish. My "fighting weight" in high school was 148, and that required constant, drastic dieting and 3-6 hours in the gym 6 days a week. I was miserable and would never do that to myself again. However, I think that maybe between 155-160 could be attained without being a psycho who hardly eats and works out constantly. I just want to be healthy and fit into normal people clothes!!

Thanks to everyone for all of your input and personal stories, you guys are great!
    :happy:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It's not healthy to eat below your BMR--1586 in your case. the threads posted at the top of this forum have a lot of really useful information. Are you eating only 1200? What do you mean by your daily calorie usage (2100)--is that what you're eating, or what you would eat to maintain your weight? Are you eating your exercise calories? You only have 20 lbs to lose (well, 10 now!) but I think if you want to make a sustainable lifestyle change you should be eating 1500-1600 calories plus your exercise calories. Good luck.
  • firegypsy
    Options
    I agree. I was rather baffled that it had me eating below my BMR, and obviously that isn't sustainble. I eat my exercise calories with zeal and feel downright dirty and sneaky about it, lol!

I am using this as a transition phase between piggy me and healthy me. Trying to learn that I don't have to compulsively over-eat, that I won't die of hunger, that my stomach doesn't need to be crammed, and that my cravings for bad-for-you foods will slaken. Once I plateau and/or get more into the rhythm of this healthy lifestyle, I will be eating reasonable above my BMR (which will obviously change as well) and relishing my exercise calories.

When I wrangle myself in with some semblance of actual will power, I'll even be allowing myself periodical "cheat days," or at least the occasional fat slice of chocolate cake or greasy pizza.

:laugh:

thanks much!