Age Affects BMR?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
1351 seems a really low BMR compared to many others I see here.
Does it drop a lot with age or something?
I am 36, 5'9.5 and 126Ibs.

Replies

• graelwyn
    Options
    Anyone?

And also what are these BMF things I keep hearing about?
    Is it where you have to pay a subscription fee to the site to get your readings for calories in and out etc?
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm 35, 127, and 5'5" (although height doesn't matter, weight does). So we are at basically same weight and age and my BMR is 1360, so yours seems right. At this weight, we don't need many calories... If your body fat % drops, BMR goes up because muscle takes more fuel to stay fed. Age only matters because typically as we age the body tends to have more fat and less muscle. Strength training counteracts that.

I don't know what BMF is, sorry.
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sorry IDK. I know your ideal heart rate is based on age.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I do lots of cardio so I can eat more. It's true. I love to eat.

I strength train to keep my muscles and lower body fat - hoping to get below 20 so my abs show :)
  • iamlottiebee
    iamlottiebee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    According to MFP my BMR is 1359, and I'm 27.

I know it does reduce with age, but it also reduces by what you weigh. Also, other BMR calculation methods figure it out differently. I saw a link on here yesterday to www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html which calculates my BMR at 1411, compared to MPF's 1359, and realistically, it's an estimation anyway, not an exact, perfect calculation tailored specifically for you..
  • graelwyn
    Options
    I am considering getting into some weight training to go with the cardio I do.
    I currently go cycling 60-150 minutes per day and this involves a lot of inclines, some quite steep.
    Also on my feet quite a bit in general, just doing housework and things, and walk about town etc.
    I seem to be pretty much staying the same weight right now, within a couple of pounds, eating about 2000-2200 a day.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't know what BMF is, sorry.

I'm not positive since it's out of context but it might be body media fit which is another heart rate monitoring system with a subscription. I don't have one though so I'm don't have any specifics on it.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Yes, it usually does drop with age. The failure of people to make adjustments as they age is why some formerly thin people become overweight or obese.
  • 0651matt
    0651matt Posts: 6
    Options
    what is BMR
  • graelwyn
    Options
    BMR is basal metabolic rate.