Should I use protein powder?...

Options
Hello there! I have a question and was hoping some one could answer it :) . I am not sure if I should use protein powder. Although it is a good source of protein, I think it is also extremely processed, and I am not really into the processed foods thing. I have had it before and I like it in my shakes and such, but I'm just not sure if I should really be eating it... Any help is welcome!!!! :)

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    You should strive for whole foods so you cover your nutrient bases.

Whey protein is actually a byproduct of other diary production, so it's not terribly processed..it's just the result of a process.
    Not sure about the others.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about the same thing. Bump <3
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Actually after reading your food diary, you definitely probably should most likely maybe increase your protein intake.

Great choices are:
    Greek yogurt
    lean meat
    lunch meat without nitrates

Good choices are:
    cheese
    nuts
    beans
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Posed that same question to my sports dietitian and she came back with one simple question. Why would you consume a product that has been processed to remove all the good nutrients naturally found in foods?

Even since then I've been eating protein rich foods like Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Also more great sources of protein-

fish, seafood/shellfish, turkey, chicken, beans, veggie burgers
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Posed that same question to my sports dietitian and she came back with one simple question. Why would you consume a product that has been processed to remove all the good nutrients naturally found in foods?

Even since then I've been eating protein rich foods like Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese.

I mix in my whey protein into my Greek yogurt and make a delicious dessert!
  • alliover
    alliover Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I never have time for breakfast in the morning before heading into work so I always make a whey protein drink so that I'm at least getting something first thing in the morning. I usually blend it with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc. Quick and easy :)
  • jesuslovesme145
    Options

I mix in my whey protein into my Greek yogurt and make a delicious dessert!

That sounds delicious, thanks! And thanks to every one else too :) love getting advice!!! :D
  • uberrach
    uberrach Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    After "clean eating" for 9 days, I realized that I'm consistently eating less than 1000 calories a day. That is definitely not a good thing --- with weight loss as my objective, I have to eat at LEAST 1200 calories a day so that I can cover my basic metabolic needs. There's no way I can eat MORE food. I've been eating a ton of veggies, lean protein, fruit and dairy (greek/probiotic yogurt). I finally came to the conclusion that the only way I could make sure I get the nutrients my body needs in order to lose weight is to supplement this healthy approach with a protein powder.

Hopefully, this will work out for me. You never said why you're looking at protein powder as an option?
  • alliover
    alliover Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    After "clean eating" for 9 days, I realized that I'm consistently eating less than 1000 calories a day. That is definitely not a good thing --- with weight loss as my objective, I have to eat at LEAST 1200 calories a day so that I can cover my basic metabolic needs. There's no way I can eat MORE food. I've been eating a ton of veggies, lean protein, fruit and dairy (greek/probiotic yogurt). I finally came to the conclusion that the only way I could make sure I get the nutrients my body needs in order to lose weight is to supplement this healthy approach with a protein powder.

Hopefully, this will work out for me. You never said why you're looking at protein powder as an option?

Which is another reason why I use a protein powder. It's very challenging trying to get all your calories in for the day (I'm at 1400 per day) when you eat clean.... and if you exercise that day and have to eat back your calories.... yikes!!!!
  • cwgrl4u
    cwgrl4u Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use Protein Powder daily to help me meet my protein needs. I use one scoop of Dymantized 100% Whey Isolate, but i mainly use it right after my workouts to help with muscle recovery or between meals! Whey protein is a very high quality complete protein with rich amounts of all the essential amino acids. Whey protein isolate is the purest form of whey protein, which is why it is absorbed so quickly and efficiently into the body. The body is able to make non-essential amino acids from other amino acids in the body. However, the body is not able to make essential amino acids and the only way to get them is by eating high quality protein foods. I definitely suggest the use of a Whey Protein Isolate.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I get 90% or more of my protein from my regular diet but I supplement with powder for reasons similar to cwgrl4u: it is an excellent post workout recovery drink and supplies readily available protein when my body is primed to absorb it. Just one scoop - and it helps me recover calories lost through exercise, so it serves two purposes.