Need a good simple chicken salad recipe!

Options
I have been craving chicken salad like crazy, I'm NOT a huge fan of mayo, I have never tried miricle whip but I am open to it or even using greek yogurt :)

Replies

• ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    shredded chicken, chunks of green apples, 1/2'd purple grapes, walnuts if your inot that sort of thing) plain yogurt
  • mybettyboop43
    Options
    BUMP
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could sub greek yogurt for the mayo in this chicken salad, which is made with avocado, mayo, green onions, cilantro, and lime juice:

http://becomingbetty.blogspot.com/2011/09/avocado-chicken-salad.html
  • T2trinco
    T2trinco Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Pineapple chicken salad (everytime I make it, people GOBBLE it down)

Boiled/shredded/cubed chicken
    Crushed walnuts
    Crushed pineapple (DRAINED)
    a PINCH of sugar
    Relish
    White onion
    TINY bit of salt
    Black pepper to taste
    Miracle Whip

Mix it all up and I serve on light Hawaiian rolls as mini sliders. (Good for portions!) :) I bet it would be good with diced up red grapes in there too, but I haven't tried that yet.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I like chicken, celery, grapes and a tiny bit of mayo (I use vegenaise its lower in sodium).
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I always add mayo last to my Mom's chicken salad so that I don't add too much. I use fat free too.

Poached chicken breast chopped up - 2 - 3 breast
    celery chopped - 3 - 4 stalks (dicing up some of the leaves add a nice celery flavor if you like that)
    hard boiled eggs chopped - 2 - 3 eggs.... I go with 1 egg for every chicken breast
    Sweet Cubed Pickle and some juice - Mom used Mt Olive Brand Sweet Cubed Pickle, I've never found another brand that taste the same to me.
    salt and pepper to taste - I go heavy on pepper
    then fat free mayo until it is bound together to the consistency you like. The pickle juice gives you moisture too so you don't have to put as much mayo in.

I hate mayo but in deviled eggs and chicken salad I realized to get it to taste the same as my Mom's I had to use it. When I would low carb it in my younger years, I would make a big bowl of this to keep in my fridge for when I was starving. My Mom would quarter a tomato and stuff it with chicken salad for lunch. To me this was a good low carb, lean protein thing to have when I was single. I loved it on triscuits when I wasn't as worried about carbs! hehehe

It's rare you find a blend of egg and chicken salad. Not sure why she did that or where she learned it from but this is what I grew up on. I load it full of celery for a crunch. I dice the egg whites up really small because I don't like the texture. I think pepper gives it a nice bite. (My sister doesn't so I back off if she is eating it... Mom didn't use that much pepper!!!!) hehehe

Depending on where you live, you will find Mt Olive Sweet Cubed Pickle... it's a southern thing. When we lived in NJ I would pick up jars while visiting family to take back. To me this is simple. I go by taste when I'm mixing it but it has to sit in the fridge for a couple of hours for you really to know how it's going to taste.

BTW - mom's deviled eggs were egg yolk, sweet cubed pickle, yellow mustard, S&P with a little mayo. Rachael Ray has a million deviled egg recipes if you are interested. There were a dozen in her last magazine.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    BTW - I haven't tried greek yogurt in chicken salad yet. I might have to try that this spring. It taste a little more like sour cream to me than mayo but adding some acid like vinegar or pickle juice might change that.

I never thought of vegan mayo either. I might have to try that as well.

Just a thought. chicken salad is usually starts as chicken, mayo, S&P..... then you get different add ins like pickles, celery, apples, grapes, walnuts, etc.

I'm not sure if Rachael Ray has a chicken salad recipe but you should look and see.............. she hates mayo! So if she has a recipe, I doubt it has mayo in it. :)
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Depending on where you live, you will find Mt Olive Sweet Cubed Pickle... it's a southern thing. When we lived in NJ I would pick up jars while visiting family to take back. To me this is simple. I go by taste when I'm mixing it but it has to sit in the fridge for a couple of hours for you really to know how it's going to taste.

BTW - mom's deviled eggs were egg yolk, sweet cubed pickle, yellow mustard, S&P with a little mayo. Rachael Ray has a million deviled egg recipes if you are interested. There were a dozen in her last magazine.

I think the pickle relish is a southern thing. I grew up in north west florida and always thought deviled eggs just had pickle relish in them. And, when I go to family reunions in KY and AL thats how we all make them.

Now that I live in WI I wont even bother making them for pot lucks because people here turn up their noses at the pickle relish. Some have learned to be polite and say they like it, but I get tired of answering the question "what is that in the deviled eggs? it looks funny" lol