Overcoming laziness

Options
Bethie_B
Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
I've been using MFP for about a month to log calories and reading through forum posts for help and advice. I've been exercising 6 days a week for a month now. So, far almost no change on the scale, so I'm tinkering with calories to see what works for me.

Really, I'm just looking for some friends that like to engage in witty banter, while occasionally reaching out for support.

I used to be an athlete, but after high school I totally succumbed to the comfort of my couch, and have remained there for most of my adult life. I find that I'm really starting to enjoy moving again, and I'm hopeful that it'll lead to a lot of fun new adventures.

My bf started using this site a while ago and has absolutely amazing success, so now I'm just trying to follow in his footsteps, and have some fun while doing it.

Replies

• twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I can honestly understand where you're coming from. I was a competitive gymnast and an elite cheerleader for YEARS! Then I became an adult, and outgrew gymnastics, however I didn't change my eating habits. Once I had my twins I became pretty lazy, too. All of that combined, I gained about 100 pounds over the course of about 10 years.

I'm not trying to lose that 100#, but about 60 of it I can do without. It does get harder to make the changes as we get older, but since your bf has had such great success, sounds like you've already got a great support system in place, as well as a cheerleader!

Feel free to add me if you need some extra cheering! Good luck with your goals!! :flowerforyou:
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You can friend me if you'd like, I like witty banter :)
  • ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've never been an athlete but have always been thin but gained weight after my son. I've been on this site for sometime now and absolutely love it! It has really helped me make wise choices when it comes to eating! I wish you the best and add me if you like! :)
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

It looks like you've made the most important decision in all of this -- you've committed yourself to changing your life.

I'm all about witty banter and all the like ; feel free to add me.

Here's to all your upcoming new adventures. :drinker:
  • smilingchica
    smilingchica Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I can always use more friends for support and encouragement!!! :)
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble when I started, I used to spend every minute not at work on the xbox and when I started working out, I would really not want to go because I had no energy. Now after sticking to it, I would much rather be in the gym than in front of my tv. It takes time to get into it but once you do, you won't go back to not being active!
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have never been an athlete, but I can definitely relate to the idea of needing to overcome laziness! I have been on here since the end of last summer and have lost over 50 pounds. Unfortunately I still have a long way to go to get to my goal, but for the first time in a long time I feel like I can actually get there. A lot of that has to do with the support I have on this site. I have friends who encourage me daily, and I make sure I cheer them on too. Welcome, and feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I know all about laziness, sadly. Feel free to add me as a friend, I am very supportive!
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Getting off your butt is the hardest part. Feel free to friend me.
  • ivida
    ivida Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello there!

Don't be discouraged by the scale. Especially, the first month. I set a goal to loose 15 pounds in three months for my sister's wedding. I lost about 12 when that day finally arrived. At that time, I was at the gym every day. I can assure you, I did not see REAL results from the scale until I was 6 -8 weeks in.
    Also, the moment I switched my milk to 1/2 % the weight really started coming off. You could twitch a few things from your diet, but overall, you it takes time.
    Good luck!
  • wolvenchic
    Options
    Welcome =)
  • misseshugz
    Options
    I think most of us can relate to this. I know I definitely can. I live for my couch.

I have 2 doggies and I can safely say we spend more time snuggled up on the couch watching tv than we do going outside and enjoying ourselves!

As of today, no more. I'm refusing to go home from work tonight and getting on the couch. Instead, I'm going to immediately change into some sweats and get those doggies walking. I'm hoping for at least 45 minutes outside with them, and then I'll start a low calorie dinner and get some dancing time in! :)

No better time than day #1 to kick my fitness routine into high gear!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I know that when I first started my weight di not budge at all for the first 6 weeks. I felt better and I looked better, my clothes were fitting looser, but no weight difference. Then it started coming off, a little at a time, and it continues to, a year later. It stalls sometimes, and that's when I feel like if I can maintain my weight without gaining - then I win - because I know it's going to start coming off again. Good luck!
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like. I'm defiantly trying to over come the laziness! Once I’m up and working out its not too bad but it’s the getting up that got up without me
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Welcome! I have been here a while myself but haven't been as committed as I should be. I'm working on that now. Friend me if you'd like, I love witty banter.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    we need more funny people on here :) friend request sent :)
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I've been here almost 7 months...it's slow going for me...but I'm getting there.

Sending you a friends request now.
  • shan_0517
    shan_0517 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ive been on here for about a month.. Nothing on the scale, but starting to feel better. I just need to get out and about more and keep pushing! Feel free to add me :smile:
  • aye28yveni
    Options
    Hi,
    Im new and I've always struggled with weight. Now that I'm ready to regain my life the natural way, I figured water aerobics and walking would be my thing. Especially since I was never athletic. You will be fine, don't give up. I've heard that you lose inches before the weight so be patient.
  • JetzGurl
    JetzGurl Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Lazy is a word that dominated my life after having my kids! I joined MFP in May of 2011 and it has changed my life.

I'm not going to lie, the weight loss through calorie control went fairly easy for me. The exercise, not so much...

I have come to the point where I believed I have lost all that I can through healthy eating alone. Now I need to shift focus to exercise. I realized that, even though I've managed to lose weight, I'm still pretty lazy, lol.

As with Pghsgirl, my husband has had tremendous success with his weight loss (75lbs lost) and has a six pack for the first time in his life (rawr!) He is an incredible inspiration and is helping me with my 'lack of ambition'.