Is it too late??

Options
Ok, so I haven't eaten the total number of calories that I'm suppose to eat in a day, mainly because I slept in and therefore skipped a meal. I also exercised today (walked for 40 mins and calisthenics for 30 mins). Now it's already 9:34 pm, and I usually don't like to eat after 9pm since I'm less active. I've heard that it's important to eat all the calories your limited too, so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode and start storing fat. So I guess my question is, should I eat something, even though it's already late, and I won't be doing anything active, or not?

Thanks!
~Nicole

Replies

• blindrn
    blindrn Posts: 12
    Options
    My trainer recommends only eating those extra calories if you are feeling really hungry. If you are currently satisfied, I wouldn't feel like you have to eat them. If you are, do something small and light.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    One day of underconsuming calories is NOT going to put you in "starvation mode" I would not stress over it.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    Have something after you work out helps you keep burning fat. You should just eat those calories tomorrow if you don't want to for today, but I would have a little something.
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    Starvation mode is thrown around a little too often. Don't skip meals, but if you sleep in late or go to bed early or something of that sort and ARENT hungry, don't eat.

Eating when you aren't hungry is a road you don't want to go down! It can become a bad habit. If your body needs food, it will tell you.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommends only eating those extra calories if you are feeling really hungry. If you are currently satisfied, I wouldn't feel like you have to eat them. If you are, do something small and light.

This, I fear, may be a product of your trainer not understanding or knowing about the MFP method of weight loss. Does he/she realize that MFP puts you at a calorie deficit without exercise? If they do and still think you should not eat unless hungry, ask them why they feel that way, I'd be curious to know the answer.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is thrown around a little too often. Don't skip meals, but if you sleep in late or go to bed early or something of that sort and ARENT hungry, don't eat.

Eating when you aren't hungry is a road you don't want to go down! It can become a bad habit. If your body needs food, it will tell you.

Careful with this statement. It's not really true for people who are obese. In fact, there are multiple studies that have tested the levels of leptin and ghrelin in obese people and they all conclude that people who are obese have abnormal levels of these hormones (or more specifically, the receptors that receive these hormones are more resistant to them, which in effect is the same thing). I agree with this statement generally if someone is at a normal or athletic Body Fat % and/or has no metabolic ailments, but not with someone who has been abusing their body with food for years. Obese people (IMHO) should set up a schedule and eat according to this schedule whether they are hungry or not. It takes 3 to 6 months to train your body to eat only when it's hungry (truly hungry, not when it thinks it's hungry), and even then, if you still have a higher body fat % you'll still have high amounts of ghrelin when you are hungry (ghrelin is produced by the stomach AND fat cells and is the hormone that tells us we are hungry, leptin is the hormone that tells us we are full).

Also something to note, after a long enough period of "starving" yourself, your body will all but shut down ghrelin production as a defense mechanism. This is why people who DO go into starvation mode for an extended period, don't feel like they are not eating enough.

as a good highlight, here is a study done which seems to prove this theory out.

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/50/4/707.full

there are other studies, this is just the first one I found.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Careful with this statement. It's not really true for people who are obese. In fact, there are multiple studies that have tested the levels of leptin and ghrelin in obese people and they all conclude that people who are obese have abnormal levels of these hormones (or more specifically, the receptors that receive these hormones are more resistant to them, which in effect is the same thing). I agree with this statement generally if someone is at a normal or athletic Body Fat % and/or has no metabolic ailments, but not with someone who has been abusing their body with food for years. Obese people (IMHO) should set up a schedule and eat according to this schedule whether they are hungry or not. It takes 3 to 6 months to train your body to eat only when it's hungry (truly hungry, not when it thinks it's hungry), and even then, if you still have a higher body fat % you'll still have high amounts of ghrelin when you are hungry (ghrelin is produced by the stomach AND fat cells and is the hormone that tells us we are hungry, leptin is the hormone that tells us we are full).

Also something to note, after a long enough period of "starving" yourself, your body will all but shut down ghrelin production as a defense mechanism. This is why people who DO go into starvation mode for an extended period, don't feel like they are not eating enough.

I have to agree. I'm obese (was morbidly a few months ago) and have a very very hard time eating. I can easily go three days with only a few slices of cheese. I have to force-feed myself daily to keep myself from starving my body (again).

People also say 'You've never seen a fat anorexic' which is not true of all. You don't see fat anorexics because you don't look for us :) We're out here allright.
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options

I have to agree. I'm obese (was morbidly a few months ago) and have a very very hard time eating. I can easily go three days with only a few slices of cheese. I have to force-feed myself daily to keep myself from starving my body (again).

People also say 'You've never seen a fat anorexic' which is not true of all. You don't see fat anorexics because you don't look for us :) We're out here allright.

I apologize for speaking without taking the scenario into perspective. I have worked for a couple of years with people recovering from eating disorders and when I see the "I'm not hungry...should I eat" I give the automatic response of LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! Unfortunately, for some, your body doesn't tell you what it needs. As a recovering binge-er, I have the opposite problem of eating when I'm not hungry, for no reason at all.

So again, sorry for not taking these things into account!!!